Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do Londonders do for fun? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    :O :O :O

I was so shocked by prices xD Paris is very expensive too ofc, but I've lost quite a lot of money when I exchanged my euros :lol:
    I went to paris and tbh london and paris looks so familiar in some parts. it's like i didnt even need to go to paris at all :rofl: how much did you lose O_O
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by fksociety)
    i heard non londoners are ploughing their land and feeding their cows for fun. I guess modern life is shocking for you village folk
    who needs london when cardiff is basically the same thing but a bit better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    LOOOOOOL you peasants get back to the farm

I went to paris and tbh london and paris looks so familiar in some parts. it's like i didnt even need to go to paris at all how much did you lose O_O
    I KNOW !! At some points I totally felt like home ! It was sooo weird !

Well, quite a lot .. I wanted to exchange in official exchange offices for security reasons, but commission was up to 15%. 1st time I went I gave 400€ and I've lost 126€ (because 1€ = £1.16 atm + commission) and I echanged money 4 times so I think at the end I've lost something like 250/300€ :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    I went to london today and thought it would be nolstagic returning to a place i once lived in, and it was a bit nolstagic but could never imagine myself living there ever again. Everywhere was so busy, people walking, there were loads of shops but you only go there if you need to buy things. Since it's a city, i doubt anyone have any connections to their neighbours or people in the area, so everyone seems so isolated and alone. it was super hot too, like an oven. I went to the supposedly good area of london and it looked so bad.

so how do londoners get by these days? is it just metro-boulot-dodo?
    I moved out a few years ago myself but I've never had this thought. There is just so much to do, there's always a popup somewhere, so many restaurants and entertainment hotspots, galleries, exhibitions, and also plenty of places where you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, like the Royal Parks.

Recently I have been spending more time out in the open in small towns and have started to rather like it. I always thought I'd be one of those people who need a busy, noisy, filthy city to live in but I'm not so sure any more. I can therefore agree with you when you say that it's not a pleasant place to be in.

(Original post by Lawliettt)
    We laugh at the filthy peasants who don't live in London.

Poor guys.

Edit: While on the topic, I'd just like to say that TFL are poo.
    TfL are amazing and run one of the best transport networks in the entire world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M451)

TfL are amazing and run one of the best transport networks in the entire world
    Bruh. TFL and their *****y random delays to trains and buses are the reason I was late to school so often. If they're one of the best then I can't imagine how dodgy the others must be.

I didn't even know cardiff had internet tbh. Filthy crop growing, horse carriage riding, fedora wearing peasants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    Bruh. TFL and their *****y random delays to trains and buses are the reason I was late to school so often. If they're one of the best then I can't imagine how dodgy the others must be
    The level of integration of so many modes of transport into one system cannot be seen anywhere else in the country. The ticketing system is a dream for people living elsewhere in the UK who need to buy individual tickets for each bus and light rail operator and need to learn a million different tickets for rail travel. Oyster cards and contactless can be used on buses, trams, all Underground lines, Overground, TfL Rail, even heavy rail services and so much more in London. You'd have a nightmare anywhere else if that isn't good for you.

Buses in London have to follow far stricter guidelines than those in other parts of the country. The vast majority of the fleet is under 5 years old and frequency in inner zones is sublime. The bus bringing me home from school (outside London) is timetabled every 20 minutes but arrives whenever it wants, and has often had me waiting 45 minutes +.

The Tube is one of the best rapid transit systems in the world. Even your heavy rail services are good compared to others. Southern and maybe some other TOCs are horrible and I believe are undergoing major reforms, but after you've experienced delays and rolling stock like the appalling Pacer and other **** we get in the North, maybe you'll think it's not so bad. I've lived both in and out and still visit London frequently. I know where I'd want to stay. Maybe pay the Paris Metro a visit, or even just their website and see how bad TfL is after that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    I KNOW !! At some points I totally felt like home ! It was sooo weird !

Well, quite a lot .. I wanted to exchange in official exchange offices for security reasons, but commission was up to 15%. 1st time I went I gave 400€ and I've lost 126€ (because 1€ = £1.16 atm + commission) and I echanged money 4 times so I think at the end I've lost something like 250/300€ :cry2:
    oh my gosh that's so much so when i exchange £ to € does that mean i kind of have more to spend?

ReputationRep:
    oh my gosh that's so much so when i exchange £ to € does that mean i kind of have more to spend?
    Well you have more in the number. But you actually get less. When you convert money you get the equivalent same in both currencies but you also pay a conversion rate so you get less money overall.

If you go to some countries tho, £100 may be quite a bit when converted. There are countries where the minimum wage is about £300-£400 equivalent a month so the food prices and such are similarly lower. Which means you could go to a nice restaurant and only spend £10-£20 on 2 people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Devify)
    Well you have more in the number. But you actually get less. When you convert money you get the equivalent same in both currencies but you also pay a conversion rate so you get less money overall.

If you go to some countries tho, £100 may be quite a bit when converted. There are countries where the minimum wage is about £300-£400 equivalent a month so the food prices and such are similarly lower. Which means you could go to a nice restaurant and only spend £10-£20 on 2 people.
    im quite new to all these terminologies but im guessing countries like zimbabwe and south eastern asian countries, you can do lots with £5 right?

(Original post by Devify)

That ^^^

Also ihatePE, now that the pound has lost quite a lot of value I'd say that it leads to the same amount of money at the end
    A few months ago I remember 1€ was like £1,8 , so yeah it would have been a lot better to exchange money atm because you'd surely have had an advantage

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I'd qualify as a Londoner but I love exploring new areas of London. Walking around, seeing galleries and exhibitions, finding new restaurants...
    Renting Boris bikes and cycling around the touristy areas is definitely one of my favourite things to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fksociety)
    LOOOOOOL you peasants get back to the farm
    I almost had a heart attack when I read that peasant claim Cardiff is better than London.

This is why elitism exists. To keep cretinous peasants like the ones on here out!

ReputationRep:
    im quite new to all these terminologies but im guessing countries like zimbabwe and south eastern asian countries, you can do lots with £5 right?
    Well not lots, but you could probably order a full price large pizza from a place like Pizza Express for amount you get after converting the £5. Which for here is like what, 20-25 pounds.

ReputationRep:
    Guys and Op. I found a great website that brings up events and thing sot do in any place, any time. I'ts mainly focused on London and even does each distinct area.
    Check it out.

http://uk.funzing.com/

ReputationRep:
    You know the saying - if you don't know how to have a good time in London, you're doing something wrong London is the greatest city in the UK, my home and I love it to bits. Summer is the perfect time to go out and enjoy London.

But just for inspiration, here's a few ideas for you:

Spoiler:
    Show

Parks - Green Park, Hyde Park, Broomfield Park, Grosvenor Park, St James Park
    Shopping/walking - Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road, Edgware Road
    Travel/tourist attractions - Hamley's, Trafalgar Square, Westminster, Leicester Square, London Eye, River Thames (clipper boats and Embankment)
    Cinema
    Restaurants (every cuisine you could hope for)
    Celebrity-spotting - Mayfair, Kensington & Chelsea etc
    Clubbing
    Work
    Just plain walking around and taking in the sights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    You know the saying - if you don't know how to have a good time in London, you're doing something wrong London is the greatest city in the UK, my home and I love it to bits. Summer is the perfect time to go out and enjoy London.

But just for inspiration, here's a few ideas for you:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Parks - Green Park, Hyde Park, Broomfield Park, Grosvenor Park, St James Park
    Shopping/walking - Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road, Edgware Road
    Travel/tourist attractions - Hamley's, Trafalgar Square, Westminster, Leicester Square, London Eye, River Thames (clipper boats and Embankment)
    Cinema
    Restaurants (every cuisine you could hope for)
    Celebrity-spotting - Mayfair, Kensington & Chelsea etc
    Clubbing
    Work
    Just plain walking around and taking in the sights

Haha. I wish Edinburgh was like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Haha. I wish Edinburgh was like that
    There's nowhere like London! But Edinburgh is nice in its own way, just not on the same scale as London

ReputationRep:
    I went to london today and thought it would be nolstagic returning to a place i once lived in, and it was a bit nolstagic but could never imagine myself living there ever again. Everywhere was so busy, people walking, there were loads of shops but you only go there if you need to buy things. Since it's a city, i doubt anyone have any connections to their neighbours or people in the area, so everyone seems so isolated and alone. it was super hot too, like an oven. I went to the supposedly good area of london and it looked so bad.

so how do londoners get by these days? is it just metro-boulot-dodo?
    Fun? At best go to the pub to get drunk or to posh, pricey pseudo ethnic restaurants. Most times, though, you simply lay alone in bed and watch your contacts' pictures on Facebook, showing how good they allegedly had it at pub or at the pseudo ethnic restaurant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.