Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does OP live in social housing?

(Original post by Devify)
    Well considering where your mum lives, I would assume you would get a maximum maintenance loan amount. £100 per week is £5200 a year. Max maintenance loan is over £8000 a year. Don't see the problem...

You can't afford it, get a flat "on a edgy estate" and pay the £100 a month. If you even manage to find such a run down place.

Like I said before, if the students can't afford the uni housing they go for a room in a shared house which is cheaper
    Not even that, accomodation contracts tend to be 40 weeks instead. So it's £4K, and that leaves someone who has max loan with another £4K

OP £200 a month is not a normal rent, and does not include any bills and utilities. You need to research more into how much things actually cost. In London uni rooms are about £200 per week (hence why London students get more money in the maintenance loan, where the max reaches £10.7k plus bursaries plus any help from families plus part time work).

ReputationRep:
    The cost of rent is tied with the house market - respectable landlords like to make about 5% rental yield to pay off their mortgage and factoring in maintenance, and average properties in England cost nearly £200,000.00. If that's a 2bedroom converted into 2 studio flats, to make £10,000.00 they'd have to charge about £100 to £125 per week.

The only way to make it affordable is to turn a large 5bedroom property into something like 8 shared bedroom house, pushing it down to about £75-85/week.

London properties cost much more, about £450,000.00 is quite modest and upscale is above £1,500,000.00. It's much harder to make 5% rental yield on those prices, so the more common numbers are 3-4% - which still pushes rent prices extremely high.

Social housing is highly subsidized and developed with minimising cost in mind (extremely dense, dissocial environment). It's a good introduction to budgeting and the real world. Try seeking some sort of part time work at the University, even notetaking for disabled students can pay £15/hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rxns_00)
    Not even that, accomodation contracts tend to be 40 weeks instead. So it's £4K, and that leaves someone who has max loan with another £4K

OP £200 a month is not a normal rent, and does not include any bills and utilities. You need to research more into how much things actually cost. In London uni rooms are about £200 per week (hence why London students get more money in the maintenance loan, where the max reaches £10.7k plus bursaries plus any help from families plus part time work).
    I know, I went for the max. Some places offer 52 week contracts if people decide to stay over the summer. I've seen loads of July 1st to june 30th contracts when I was looking for mine. Some courses are also different lengths.

ReputationRep:
    Student halls are a rip off, but not as much as you are suggesting. I paid £110 a week, to be fair I had all bills included, decent internet as well, ensuite and (sort of) security. Yet going into my second year in September, I'm going to pay £76 a week instead. For a double bed, with a room that is actually a decent size, a proper living room with a separate kitchen and only sharing with 3 others. I can hardly wait to be honest, as also I won't have noise issues, like I did all of last year.

In comparison it's a rip off. However, I'm afraid that your experience of renting costs is woefully unrealistic for the majority of the country. I save a lot by going to Uni in Liverpool compared with elsewhere, if I had stayed at home, food costs would be higher and the rent would be significantly higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Does OP live in social housing?
    A edgy Council Estate but things ain't too bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.