The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wow it's great to see a Japanese person here in the forum.

Nice to meet you Excalibur.

I really find Japanese easy (other than the alphabet!) because I can pronounce it easily and the grammar is a bit like my own language. However I am too lazy to study the language and I am okay with just watching Japanese movies and Anime:smile:
Reply 21
LucyA, are you still making that resources list? I found this really good Japanese word processor thing that
allows you to type in romaji and it comes out in kana and kanji! It's called Wakan. :cool:

I can now type: 私はイギリス人です! Without having to go on some chart and copy and paste the letters. I'm so stupid for
ever doing that! I suppose you already have one of these things...
With my keyboard, I go into Japanese mode and it automatically changes my romaji into hiragana... and if I press space, I can scroll through to the right kanji too. I guess I've got some sort of program installed? Anyhoo, よろしく :smile:

So.... what kind of manga/anime do people like? I'm not really up-to-date on the recent ones, though I was obsessed with the Hana Yori Dango drama for a bit...! I also absolutely adore the Ghibli films; anyone else a fan?
Reply 23
Excalibur
though I was obsessed with the Hana Yori Dango drama for a bit...!

Omg I'm obsessed with that right now! Somebody most kindly uploaded it onto youtube and I watched all but the last episode before they got taken down... copyright or something I think. What happens in the last episode? I'm buying the second series on ebay right now, but I thought there would be no point just buying the first series if all I want to watch is the last episode. :s-smilie:
kimoso
Omg I'm obsessed with that right now! Somebody most kindly uploaded it onto youtube and I watched all but the last episode before they got taken down... copyright or something I think. What happens in the last episode? I'm buying the second series on ebay right now, but I thought there would be no point just buying the first series if all I want to watch is the last episode. :s-smilie:

I think you can still watch the first series on dailymotion.com, although they might have taken it down by now. I'm sure that you'd be able to watch it somewhere, though. HYD is officially the best drama ever :smile: It's so easy to get obsessed over!
Reply 25
こんにちは、Excalibur and N_and_N! It is lovely to have more people interested in the soc :smile:

Wow, Excalibur, it’s great that you stay so in touch with your culture. I think it’s great. :redface: Maybe you can give me some tips for my accent? :biggrin:

Kim, I’ve been using an IME that came with Word to input Japanese characters. I do it in Word and then copy it out. Yeah, I am doing the resources list. I may just start it and then add to it when we get more.

I’m not really a big anime watcher, but I do love Spirited Away, I believe that’s a Ghibli film? The soot puffs get me everytime… :p:
Reply 26
My favourite one is Rurouni Kenshin. I absolutely love it^^ and yeah i love Spirited Away as well, guessing it's a Ghibli one.
Yup, Spirited Away is a Ghibli film and probably the one that's got the most acclaim - though personally it's not my favourite. The graphics/effects etc may be inferior but I still think Laputa, Totoro and Nausicaa are the best Ghibli films.

Oooh, loved the Rurouni Kenshin manga :smile: though can't really remember much of it now, it was a long time ago! Never watched the anime though.
Reply 28
Ahh thanks for the link Excalibur!! I watched the last episode.. aah so sad. I just saw you can watch the second season too there... just after I went and bought the DVD, :redface:
Reply 29
This is a great idea for a society :yy:
みんなさんこんにちは!私はアントニアです。:smile:

My sister and I have been very fortunate to go to a school which teaches Japanese, but my sister is studying it for GCSE now.

My Neighbour Totoro is a really nice film! I like to watch Anime too, but really the mainstream ones including Sailor Moon, Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Case Closed (Detective Conan) and Zatch Bell.
kimoso
Ahh thanks for the link Excalibur!! I watched the last episode.. aah so sad. I just saw you can watch the second season too there... just after I went and bought the DVD, :redface:

Yeah, HYD season 1 is total class :biggrin: I never laughed so hard at a drama series. Season 2 was hilarious too, but not as good as the first season, of course.

アントニア、初めまして。So what level are you studying Japanese at? GCSE? A level?
I have been studying Japanese and its culture for 2 years now and im loving it :smile:

I start the GCSE Japanese Course in September... I cant wait, But i got to refresh my writing skills over the holidays.
Reply 32
ようこそ x.Charlotte and CrazyYear :smile:

You're so lucky to have your schools offer you Japanese :P I may just start a campaign soon :biggrin:

P.S Has anyone here seen Princess Mononoke, and would they recommend it?

ありがとう!
LucyA
ようこそ x.Charlotte and CrazyYear :smile:

You're so lucky to have your schools offer you Japanese :P I may just start a campaign soon :biggrin:

P.S Has anyone here seen Princess Mononoke, and would they recommend it?

ありがとう!

Princess Mononoke is very good :smile: Although in my opinion, the content is not on par with Laputa (my absolute favourite) and the effects are not on par with Spirited Away. Still, well worth a watch!
Reply 34
LucyA
こんにちは!

Everybody loves Japanese :biggrin:

Please post if you:
-Speak Japanese
-Are Japanese
-Live in Japan
-Love Japan
-Love the culture of Japan
etc. etc!

Resources
The Japanese page - I found this very good for learning kana, it also has some grammar
Kanji dictionary - excellent
Japanese dictionary
LRNJ - small program/game for learning kana
The Kanji Site - a very good site for learning, well, kanji :smile:

さよなら!

日本語を勉強をしますか?

じゃ。。。このは参加します。 (・∀・)
Reply 35
LucyA
Oh, does anyone have any tips for Japanese pronunciation? My family say I sound like I'm speaking Spanish :rolleyes:

Don't put any emphasis on the words. Take the word 'banana' as a classic example. Compare and contrast how the Japanese and English say it.

I got my pronunciation down by watching endless Japanese TV and listening to my friends. Its basically repetition and knowledge of how to say stuff when and where.
List of members so far (if you've posted, I've assumed you to be member):

LucyA (founder)
kimoso
PoisonGirL
swifty
Excalibur
N_n_N
CrazyYear
x.Charlotte
gaijin
Tidasquall
MarcD
Literature Geek
Reply 37
Ah, a member list :smile:

はい Gaijin、 すこし はなせます。

I haven't had internet for the last two days due to my area being badly flooded :rolleyes: It was terrible :p:
Reply 38
awesome thread, count me in!! :smile: I started Japanese at school, studied it for a year, then went to uni to do economics and dropped out lol, absolutely hate econ now lol, Im reapplyin to do Japanese, want to study at SOAS. Im takin a gap year, spending 7 months in Japan. Atm I've almost finished Genki vol 1 which I found was great for elementary japanese, Im gonna buy volume 2 soon enough. My favourite anime is hokuto no ken, yamato nadeshiko shichi henge (anyone else seen this, fantastic series, I just need to watch the last episode!!), tokyo majin gakuen kenpuchou tou, Project A-ko, Genshiken, Inukami, Himawari, excel saga, lol well the list goes on, Im into that kinda stuff. Anyone here a fan of Japanese cinema?? My fav japanese film atm is Versus, ryuhei kitamura is a genius, and I should point out my fav ghibli film is tonari no totoro. Good to see other people on here with an interest in japanese culture!!
Reply 39
Eeee love japan and everything related to it! :p: Did the gcse, was like 200 kanji and 800 word vocab. Was hard but great fun! I've forgotten it all now though! :p: Really need to get back into learning the language. I was hoping to take the JLPT sometime as well. I'm hoping to have a year in japan after uni just to explore it all, planned it all out when I was younger :p:

I'd type some japanese but I dont have the language pack installed on this pc yet lol :p:

Quick Reply

Latest