Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Aph, the reason for the revenue-exception (which should apply to the producer, not the supermarket), is that the lack of economies of scale makes confirmation of precise content and quantities relatively more expensive for small producers.
    So things like sellers for farmers markets ect. Don't need to include the labelling? And bake sales I would assume?

Actually how would this affect school bake sales. If the school in considered the vendor for putting on the sale it almost certainly gets over £10m a year...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    So things like sellers for farmers markets ect. Don't need to include the labelling? And bake sales I would assume?

Actually how would this affect school bake sales. If the school in considered the vendor for putting on the sale it almost certainly gets over £10m a year...
    A school would have to sell a lot of cakes at the school baking sale if the school is to generate £10m in sales; £10m is more than the average annual funding for a comprehensive school.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    A school would have to sell a lot of cakes at the school baking sale if the school is to generate £10m in sales; £10m is more than the average annual funding for a comprehensive school.
    A medium sized secondary school ~1800 pupils would be pushing on that figure. And the bill doesn't say the money has to be exclusively from selling food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Yeah, small companies too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    A medium sized secondary school ~1800 pupils would be pushing on that figure. And the bill doesn't say the money has to be exclusively from selling food.
    The average funding for each pupil in England is £4500 per year, at a school with 1600 pupils that gives a budget of £7.2m, there would need to be a lot of extra money to take the school over £10m a year. But the bill states revenue, it is clear funding given to a school by a Local Education Authority is not revenue because revenue is money generated from normal business activities.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Just dipping in here to share my astonishment that you a) see a school of 1800 as "medium-sized", when I see a school of much over 1000 as "big", and b) that these schools make £10m of annual sales.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The average funding for each pupil in England is £4500 per year, at a school with 1600 pupils that gives a budget of £7.2m, there would need to be a lot of extra money to take the school over £10m a year. But the bill states revenue, it is clear funding given to a school by a Local Education Authority is not revenue because revenue is money generated from normal business activities.
    Is funding from the government, being paid to teach children, not a normal business activity? (Genuine question!)
    And most schools also get extra grants from government and other sources.
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Just dipping in here to share my astonishment that you a) see a school of 1800 as "medium-sized", when I see a school of much over 1000 as "big", and b) that these schools make £10m of annual sales.
    Well I went to a school of 1600 and we were considered small for the area. So between 1800 & 2000 I consider medium and ~2300 would be large to me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Is funding from the government, being paid to teach children, not a normal business activity? (Genuine question!)
    And most schools also get extra grants from government and other sources.

Well I went to a school of 1600 and we were considered small for the area. So between 1800 & 2000 I consider medium and ~2300 would be large to me.
    No, a school receiving money to educate children is not a business activity because schools are not businesses, nor do schools operate in the same way as businesses, schools are a method of delivery for the government.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    No, a school receiving money to educate children is not a business activity because schools are not businesses, nor do schools operate in the same way as businesses, schools are a method of delivery for the government.
    I'm what way are schools not buissiness? Especially academies.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    (1) If the packaged drink contains meat or animal products all types of meat and animal products must be clearly labeled

What drinks contain Meat ?

Nay
    A lot of alcoholic drinks are made using fish bladders in the filtration process and so are not vegetarian/vegan.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    A lot of alcoholic drinks are made using fish bladders in the filtration process and so are not vegetarian/vegan.
    Still vegetarian unless ultra strict (so they are vegetarian to anybody who isn't even more ****ed in the head than vegans), but not vegan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Still vegetarian unless ultra strict (so they are vegetarian to anybody who isn't even more ****ed in the head than vegans), but not vegan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, the vegetarian society specifically does not give its approval to any beers made using isinglass (derived from fish bladder) and lists them as non-vegetarian. https://www.vegsoc.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=734

You may decide that they're vegetarian, but considering the de facto official vegetarian body decided they're not, I feel we should probably listen to them instead.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, the vegetarian society specifically does not give its approval to any beers made using isinglass (derived from fish bladder) and lists them as non-vegetarian. https://www.vegsoc.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=734

You may decide that they're vegetarian, but considering the de facto official vegetarian body decided they're not, I feel we should probably listen to them instead.
    I thought I specified not worse than vegans...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I thought I specified not worse than vegans...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why would they be vegetarian if they weren't vegan? The only vegan items that are vegetarian are things like milk, cheese, wool, etc, that only indirectly involve animal death. Anything made with actual animal flesh (ie beer made with isinglass) is neither vegetarian nor vegan.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why would they be vegetarian if they weren't vegan? The only vegan items that are vegetarian are things like milk, cheese, wool, etc, that only indirectly involve animal death. Anything made with actual animal flesh (ie beer made with isinglass) is neither vegetarian nor vegan.
    Making with and making from are very different

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're vegetarian for health reasons, perhaps. If for moral reasons then not so much.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    If you're vegetarian for health reasons, perhaps. If for moral reasons then not so much.
    This

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Regardless, the actual vegetarian society disagrees with you, as do actual vegetarians, so the items should not be listed as vegetarian. Whether you think that's too strict or not doesn't matter.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nobody is a vegetarian for moral reasons, people are vegetarians to try to feel better about their pointless wasted existence

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nobody is a vegetarian for moral reasons, people are vegetarians to try to feel better about their pointless wasted existence

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh look how cool and cynical you are.

ReputationRep:
    Oh look how cool and cynical you are.
    PRSOM :laugh:

Though tbf I do maintain that moralistic veggies are pussies afraid to go vegan.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.