Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    George R.R Martins 'A Game of Thrones' , Orwells '1984' probably and Gene Wolfes 'Book of the New Sun.'

ReputationRep:
    LOTR definetly.

ReputationRep:
    tony parsons man and boy
    its just....great!

ReputationRep:
    My favourite book is definetly Wuthering Heights, its such a powerful, dramatic, original story. I'd highly recommend it to anyone even though the old Yorkshire dialect spoken by some of the characters is a little hard to understand. Definetly the best classic, much better than Pride and Prejudice which I found unbeliveably boring and can't believe its so popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    tony parsons man and boy
    its just....great!
    Also a good book! have you read the sequel - man & wife?

To Kill a Mockingbird is also good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.R)
    Also a good book! have you read the sequel - man & wife?

To Kill a Mockingbird is also good.
    no i havent! im desperate to....will be taking it away on holiday hopefully!
    is it good?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it wasn't bad but without giving too much away the format was quite similar to the first. But still read it defs!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elissabeth)
    My favourite book is definetly Wuthering Heights, its such a powerful, dramatic, original story. I'd highly recommend it to anyone even though the old Yorkshire dialect spoken by some of the characters is a little hard to understand. Definetly the best classic, much better than Pride and Prejudice which I found unbeliveably boring and can't believe its so popular.
    I've re-read Wuthering Heights at least a dozen times. It would definitely be up there in my top ten. I love anything by the Bronte sisters. Anne Bronte is consistently underrated. I was v mpressed by The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Also up there in my top ten would have to be William Styron's Sophie's Choice and Thoman Keneally's Schindler's Ark. Oh yeah, and a couple of less popular novels wriitten by him: Blood Red, Sister Rose and A Family Madness.

And then, of course, there's Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.

My favourite Jane Austen would have to be Sense and Sensibility.

ReputationRep:
    my fave book at the moment is 'the bondmaid' by catherine lim. its set in 1950s singapore and is soooooooo sad. its honestly the first book to actually make me cry. its so the best, but i wouldnt say it's a summer holiday read cos its all about love and is SAD ;.......(

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake! The ultimate gothic fantasy.

Don Quixote by Cervantes is really cool

As is Atonement by Ian McEwan, and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho has the best twist at the end ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    Since the summer holidays are creeping in, plenty of time to do completely nothing, was thinking of catching up on reading, since I havent had time past two yrs!! Therefore was wondering, what books do you recommend to read, your favourite, or list of them! Please include the authors as well, I receptive to all genres, and authors.

Ive recently read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials which was fantastic I thouhgt, but the ending was bit underwhelming! :confused: However, id recommend it to anyone, easy to read, andonce you pick it up, you will not want to put it down. Currently Im reading George Orwell's Nineteeneightfour. Which is seems to be pretty good sofar, but havent read much to really give a serious opinion!

Anyway, Iappreciate your suggestions, and hopefully I can use your suggestions over the summer!
    Nothing is better than American Psycho. I could read it one hundred times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    Nothing is better than American Psycho. I could read it one hundred times.

I have had this book recommended to me several times, although a teacher (good friend) tried to dissuade me. I think i will definitely read this one this summer.

I too think To kill a Mockingbrid was a good book, although its been a while ive read it. Also, definitely I enjoyed reading the angstof Holden Caulfield in the Catcher in the Rye. Meanwhile, 1984 is a quite the entertaining read!

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings is my favourite, followed by Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and His Dark Materials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    another du maurier fan! yay!

i love garcia marquez too - have you read 'no-one writes to the colonel'?
    not yet, but it's on my shelf next to me lol! I've read Of Love and Other Demons, which is equally fantastic... Cortazar is brilliant and Rulfo...

I have yet to read Jamaica Inn, but again this summer will be my reading summer... again!

Reading currently: Huxley - Brave New World
    and Willa Cather - My Antonia...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    Don Quixote by Cervantes is really cool
    I love that book, Cervantes is a pretty good writer in my opinion.

My favorite book would have to be "The Stand" by Stephen King, then "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kelsey.

ReputationRep:
    i don't read that many books.

ReputationRep:
    Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys, Midnight's Children - Salmon Rushdie, Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway & The Dark Angel by Meridith Ann Pierce.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely go 'Wuthering Heights', just because. So much in it.

At the minute, I'm reading 'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov, and I'd recommend that. A fantasy novel, but not in the vein of LotR, and an often amusing satire of Soviet life.

Umm...what else...?
    'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith.
    'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley
    'Trainspotting' by Irvine Welsh
    'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess
    'A Passage to India' by E.M. Forster
    I always like big cheesy Jackie Collins novels
    'Chocolat' by whoever was a nice easy read.
    Stephen King is usually good

I'm going to spend this summer reading too...though unfortunately most of it will probably be histories of Germany and Modern Greece, ugh...so many books, so little time!

ReputationRep:
    try some amy tan, 'the kitchen god's wife' is good. also try out some of the titles in 'the big read'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    try some amy tan, 'the kitchen god's wife' is good. also try out some of the titles in 'the big read'
    what is amy tan's book about? is it recently out?

'memoirs of a geisha' by someone 'golden' is good
    and Steven King's The Shining is ultimate!!

i so loved 'lord of the flies' by william golding. we did it for GCSE Eng Lit and i read it nearly every day i so loved it, which gave me one of the top 5 marks in the uk for eng lit!just as well.......anyone doing it for gcse count yourself lucky!

anyone like Tolstoy or Turgenev? Turgenev's stories are mainly old russian ones about love and are very very sad. i read alot of sad books :.......(

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.