Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1018 – National Security and Entry Bill 2016 watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    So you're saying you joined the wave of opinion against western democracy?
    I don't think this bill can be described as an example of Western Democracy.

ReputationRep:
    So what UKIP have attempted to do is to ban muslims entering the country without actually mentioning muslims. It's cute that you thought this would work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Another security bill from UKIP. What I want to know is why you chose those countries in particular.
    They are places where there are significant active terrorist groups that pose a threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    So if you have been on holiday to Tunisia over the last ten years you are refused entry? *Or on a pilgrimage to Bethlehem or Mecca? Dictators allowed but not ordinary citizens?

Nay.*
    No, you could just get a 'special entry permit'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The first is a list of all Muslim states and I don't understand the reasoning for the second. No,
    The first list is not a list of all Muslim states. It is a list of countries where there are significant active terrorist groups that pose a threat. The second list contains areas where there are significant active terrorist groups that pose a threat without having to apply it to the whole country.

ReputationRep:
    So, banned from the country are British citizens who happen to be:

Holidaymakers
    Football supporters
    Muslims on a holy pilgrimage
    Visitng family members
    Most of our politicians

Tempted to Aye just because we could do with deporting most of the latter! But this is a truly silly bill: it's sad to see UKIP, who were once such a positive force in the House, fall to such depths.
    They should get a 'special entry permit'. They should not have any trouble getting one, as they will likely not be deemed a terrorist. For politicians, I will edit the government officials part to apply to all approved government officials.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    They should get a 'special entry permit'. They should not have any trouble getting one, as they will likely not be deemed a terrorist. For politicians, I will edit the government officials part to apply to all approved government officials.
    So uk citizens have to pay £10m to live in their own country?

ReputationRep:
    Except there is no way, I can see, to apply for a permit retrospectively if you've travelled to one of these countries before the bill is passed. And it costs £1,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Nay I'm afraid.

Firstly when you put "Morocco (including Western Sahara)", WS is partly administerd by Morocco and partly by the Polisario Front called the Sahrawi Republic. Sorry, picky I know but I just know about this so it bugged me.

Also I've been to Morocco within the last 10 years so what would happen to me?
    First of all, the neither the United Nations nor the United Kingdom recognise the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic as a sovereign state.

Secondly, Western Sahara is not a sovereign state, and it is de jure administered by Morocco, so it is listed under Morocco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    So uk citizens have to pay £10m to live in their own country?
    UK citizens who do not carry a passport from one of those countries do not have to pay £10m.

ReputationRep:
    Except there is no way, I can see, to apply for a permit retrospectively if you've travelled to one of these countries before the bill is passed. And it costs £1,000.
    Those who are outside the country and are affected by this can come to the UK by getting a permit from a British embassy or consulate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    No.

I am against a blanket ban of these countries, Stronger background checks maybe but a ban no.
    It is not a ban. They can still come as long as they meet the requirements. You would not say that those who need a visa to come to the UK are banned from coming here, would you? Those who need a visa to come here need to pay for a visa if they wish to enter, which is similar to the 'special entry permit' in this bill. Also, it is not feasible to carry out stronger background checks when they are already at the immigration officer's desk. It is more reasonable to have them be subject a background check before they come, and carry a 'special entry permit' to prove that they have gone through a background check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McRite)
    Firstly, did you just put those countries randomly? Is it in any order? What is it based on?

Secondly, what is going to happen to British volunteers who assist charities in some of these countries?

Thirdly, how will this affect members of these sovereign states who are in the UK on a temporary visa, eg. Student visa? Are they going to be forced to go back home because they can't afford to pay 10 million pounds?

I could go on but UKIP aren't going to answer me, so I'll leave it here.

Nay.
    Firstly, the order of those particular countries in the list is not based on anything.

Secondly, the British volunteers could obtain 'special entry permits' if they wish to re-enter the country.

Thirdly, they will not be forced to go home if they are here legally. However, if they leave and wish to re-enter, they need to obtain a 'special entry permit' to return.

Well, UKIP answered you, so you were wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Obviously nay, I'm finding it very hard to judge whether this is a joke or not. By this logic, I (a UK citizen), am not allowed to be here because I went on holiday for a week over Christmas.

I urge Nigel Farage MEP to explain this bill.
    This is not a joke. UKIP bills are not jokes unless they are for April Fools' Day. It is not the case that you will not be allowed into the UK because you have went to one of the places on the list as long as you carry a 'special entry permit'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is not a joke. UKIP bills are not jokes unless they are for April Fools' Day. It is not the case that you will not be allowed into the UK because you have went to one of the places on the list as long as you carry a 'special entry permit'.
    And what is the criteria for being issued one of these permits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    I feel UKIP needs a party slogan, something motivational for bills like these...

"UKIP - Be the stereotype"
    I would much rather prefer a slogan like Make Britain Great Again, but you, in the Labour Party, are as irrelevant as you were when you went to the refugee party.

ReputationRep:
    And what is the criteria for being issued one of these permits?
    That's not for me to determine, but the bill has some guidance. Go read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    So what UKIP have attempted to do is to ban muslims entering the country without actually mentioning muslims. It's cute that you thought this would work.
    Some of the people who will be denied entry, I assume, are muslims, but it is the case now that some muslims are denied entry. It will not be just muslims who are denied entry. Other people suspected to be terrorists or radicalised to be terrorists who are not muslim will also not be granted a 'special entry permit'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Some of the people who will be denied entry, I assume, are muslims, but it is the case now that some muslims are denied entry. It will not be just muslims who are denied entry. Other people suspected to be terrorists or radicalised to be terrorists who are not muslim will also not be granted a 'special entry permit'.
    So basically only muslims, as you surely would need a massive surveillance network in order to know who is at risk of being a terrorist. Can you explain how you plan to work out who is at risk of radicalisation? Perhaps you'll ban Muslims and the Northern Irish.

ReputationRep:
    So basically only muslims, as you surely would need a massive surveillance network in order to know who is at risk of being a terrorist. Can you explain how you plan to work out who is at risk of radicalisation? Perhaps you'll ban Muslims and the Northern Irish.
    I am quite sure that not all of the people who will be denied a 'special entry permit' are muslim. For the massive surveillance network, the GCHQ should be responsible for it. There will be plans to work out who is at risk of radicalisation, which I cannot discuss for security reasons, or the terrorists will be able to circumvent the background checks. And the specifics is for the Home Office and maybe some other government departments to figure out. People already in Northern Ireland will not have trouble travelling around the country, but people from Northern Ireland who do not pass the background check because they are a terrorist or are radicalised to be a terrorist will not be granted a 'special access permit'.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.