wash it OP
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    50% for just word is quite high.
    What is the cpu percentage too?
    What is your total ram?
    Go to the process tab on your task manager and click on the memory tab so that processes are listed from the most memory consuming to the least. The program at the top of the list is what is using so much memory.
    I'm running about 30 chrome tabs, skype, word, notepad, adobe acrobat and only using 40% of my 16gig ram.
    So you either running a lot of things or u need ram upgrade.
    3-15% CPU. Total RAM is 8gb. 10 apps and 76 background processes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    3-15% CPU. Total RAM is 8gb. 10 apps and 76 background processes.
    Cpu usage seems fine.
    So it must be all the open apps.
    Give it just one more look to the the app using most memory from the processes tab.

ReputationRep:
    So I think it's the cooling fan? Every now and again my laptop just starts whizzing really loud as if I were doing something really intensive like playing a game (which is pretty normal) - when in reality all I'm doing is just on microsoft word or something like that. The actual temp of my laptop is really cool and there's no performance decrease when it happens. Is there a way to see what's going on? I tried the task manager but I'm not sure on how to interpret any of the CPU usage data.
    Open it up with a screwdriver and cleanthe **** out of your fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funnycatvideos)
    Open it up with a screwdriver and cleanthe **** out of your fans.
    This. The CPU fan is most probably covered in dust thus preventing it from providing optimum cooling to the CPU. If the fan is clean then your BIOS probably needs updating. If none of that works I'd say it could be a faulty thermostat which would probably require a motherboard replacement.

If you're too scared for any of that I'd recommend scanning your PC with anti virus software as it could be some malware running in the background hogging your CPU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z.amin)
    This. The CPU fan is most probably covered in dust thus preventing it from providing optimum cooling to the CPU. If the fan is clean then your BIOS probably needs updating. If none of that works I'd say it could be a faulty thermostat which would probably require a motherboard replacement.

If you're too scared for any of that I'd recommend scanning your PC with anti virus software as it could be some malware running in the background hogging your CPU.
    I have a can of air. Can I use that to clean out the fans?

ReputationRep:
    I have a can of air. Can I use that to clean out the fans?
    Definitely - that's the most effective way to do so. However I'd recommend doing it outdoors otherwise you'll have dust flying about all over your room.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.