Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Student loans are, but I would expect actual government stuff wouldn't, after all, SFE is merely a quango
    This will be changed for a second reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Because we want people who are competent, and willing to put in a decent amount of effort. We therefore have to compete with banks on wages for senior risk analysts insofar as we can (realistically most will earn more than £2m but this makes it a decent career twilight option). Go much lower and the people you end up filling the roles with see their work as basically charity, which isn't what you want for something like this.

I'm not 100% certain either, I'd like to hear more if you have any more ideas on this point.
    I am sure we could recruit people for a lot less than £2m per annum. No other public-sector appointed post to my knowledge pays this.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I am sure we could recruit people for a lot less than £2m per annum. No other public-sector appointed post to my knowledge pays this.*
    The relevant comparison is not with public sector posts, but with banking, because that is the market we will be competing for employees in.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I like this, apart from the £2m - no one should earn that much, it's ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I like this, apart from the £2m - no one should earn that much, it's ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, but the option is either that, or get incompetent people staffing probably the most important institution for the country's economic stability. The third option is imposing a maximum salary on the private sector but somehow I don't think that would pass...
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I agree, but the option is either that, or get incompetent people staffing probably the most important institution for the country's economic stability. The third option is imposing a maximum salary on the private sector but somehow I don't think that would pass...
    I'd go for the latter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait, I'm a mathematician, I could do that:ahee:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill has gone to a second reading.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.