Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you pay about £30 at a St Tropez registered salon the chances of it going wrong are quite slim. I've been to the same place for 3 years and am happy with it (although I feel one of the women is now too familiar with my body !)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyatthegym)
    I really don't care enough about the cancer risks. I smoke and drink excessively and sometimes use drugs so I'm not going to care about possible long term health concerns from going on a sunbed a couple of times a week.
    Oh well if you smoke, drink and do drugs, it's alright then!
    My dad had skin cancer in several places over his body. He had to have 20+ moles removed and in one case a large section of the flesh on his back removed (about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and about 1/2 an inch deep) where the cancer had spread as well as a skin graft from his leg to go over it. And this is someone who didn't even go abroad for the first time until he was in his twenties.
    If you don't care about the risks now then trust me, you'll care if you get cancer.

And I know that UV can help certain skin conditions- my bro has psoriasis and he used to use a high-powered lamp thing on his leg where he has it- but you do not need anywhere near the amount of UV you're getting when you go on a sunbed multiple times a week.

But hey, next time you see your dermatologist about your eczema, why don't you tell him/her about the amount of time you spend on a sunbed and see what they say!

ReputationRep:
    If it makes me happy then I don't see the problem.

In all honesty I'd rather live 30 years of a happy life, where I have confidence, living life to the full, than 80 years of being depressed and so self concious I miss out on opportunities. More people die in car crashes. Does that mean people shouldn't risk using cars?

And well if the dermatologists had allowed me more light treatment maybe I wouldn't have been driven to sunbeds.

You can get cancer without using sun beds or without smoking. It's just one of those things. I believe I'll die when I'm meant too and so I'm just going to live my life as I want to..

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather live 30 years of a happy life
    But if looks are so important to you you won't be happy in twenty years time because you'll have horrible skin. Fair enough if you don't care about your health (although I think that's fairly stupid) but this will have a bad effect on your looks as well. You might be nicely tanned for a couple of summers but you'll regret it when you're thirty with that horrible leather looking skin.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about the tan I really don't care much about getting a tan. I'm talking more of how much confidence I've had because my legs have cleared up. And, I really don't use sun beds excessively. I barely use them in the winter.. And have only been using them a lot in the last month. I don't think I've even had over 20 sesssions this year.

But for years I had really unhappy summers.. Not being able to go to pool parties, not being able to wear skirts, shorts etc etc.. I now don't have to worry about those things. That to me has made such a difference in my confidence and happiness. I think the risk is worth it. If I didn't have skin problems I'd happily fake it-- I don't even think I'd bother with that.. I don't think being pale is that bad.

I don't think people can understand it. but, I find it odd how I always get lectured for using sunbeds but never for smoking. When obviously there is a lot more to gain from using sun beds. Hmm. I guess people just think it's being stupidly shallow.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, it's not to get a tan but my original point still stands. You might be making yourself look better temporarily but in the long run you're making yourself more unattractive. What's the point in that? It's like when people squeeze spots badly - okay you don't have the spot anymore, but you'll have the scar in five years. It just seems a bit stupid to me - I'd prefer to not feel comfortable at a pool party for a few summers than be embarrassed of my wrinkles and bad skin my entire life.

I think it's just because everyone knows about the risks associated with smoking. I think it's obviously more of a stupid decision than going on a sunbed, but I assume you know that already.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully when I'm that age the way I look won't be such an important part of my life. When I'm that age I'll hopefully have a family and they will be 100x more important. (Ja, ja I know that you can say I may not be alive for my family as I risk getting cancer).

But, at this age it is important to me. I don't think you can quite understand how bad it was and how bad it made me feel. I wasn't even allowed to wax or shave. I had to stop playing netball as I just coloudln't wear the skirts. I think it was a large part in why I was so unhappy for so long. maybe if I was a more secure person and cared less about the way I look and what other people think of me. But, I'm just not that type of person. When I found something which could stop all that obviously I was going to jump at it and think about the consequences later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyatthegym)
    I really don't care enough about the cancer risks. I smoke and drink excessively and sometimes use drugs so I'm not going to care about possible long term health concerns from going on a sunbed a couple of times a week.
    you're so cool.

ReputationRep:
    How much does it cost to get a professional spray tan then? And how long do they last? Or where would be the best place to buy St Tropez/Fake bake etc?

I currently use stand-up sun beds 2/3 times a week for 5 mins in preparation of my holiday, and I look so much healthier - and I agree, for now, my skin looks soo much better. However, as I'm naturally very pale/blue eyed etc, I know that I can't continue this forever, so I need to find an alternative.

Also, how do fake tans last in water? I'm into diving, and I don't want to end up all streaky when I come out!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone that uses sunbeds know where I could buy some lotion??
    Not too sure about lotion, but I have some asbestos for sale that might do the trick.

I've also heard there is something you can put on your teeth that can turn them whiter
    Its called toothpaste.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno why ur all being so hard on her...I kinda agree. No point living life in a cave.

lmao you lot sound like my dad (a doctor) lecturing everyone about the dangers of everything..

using sunbeds and any form of sunbathing is going to be a trade off of looking good now vs looking good in your forties, forgetting the obvious risks of skin cancer (supposedly associated with just about everything).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    lmao you lot sound like my dad (a doctor) lecturing everyone about the dangers of everything..

using sunbeds and any form of sunbathing is going to be a trade off of looking good now vs looking good in your forties, forgetting the obvious risks of skin cancer (supposedly associated with just about everything).
    You sound like my dad. He works part time in a pub.

ReputationRep:
    i look good now, and i probably will in my 40s too, with my nice pale skin.

(Original post by Shreerac27)
    You sound like my dad. He works part time in a pub.
    does he look like the guy in my avatar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    does he look like the guy in my avatar?
    haha somewhat. Ditch the suit and its pretty close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    you're so cool.
    :love:

ReputationRep:
    ayeeeeeeees??

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.