Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The partitioner comes up during the installation process. Looks summat like this:

Everything's already on the install CD, just pop it in and click install. Remember to click manual when you get here:

ReputationRep:
    gparted is integrated with the ubuntu installer i think

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the rep, Phoenix & Juno!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Vlad (:love:) said we needed GParted or something :s:
    The installer is more than enough to edit the partitions ( might be using gparted itself, I don't know ). However, a few tips.

a) Backup everything important ( yes it is the first thing I tell you every time. it IS important ).

b) write down the sizes of the partitions you want to keep. Some times different installers will use different names to label the drives from one another and knowing the size of the partition you want to keep will help preventing you from accidentally deleting the wrong one.

You can find the size of your windows partition(s) by right clicking the appropriate drive(s) in "my computer" and select "properties". It should show the total size of the partition there.

c)Do create a separate partition for /home. It makes thing so much easier latter on.

ReputationRep:
    I need to get my thingies so I can play .mp3 files and .wma files (if possible) in Gxine, and Juno is playing around in Synaptic but can't remember how to do it

ReputationRep:
    For MP3, you need to install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

Not sure about how to make WMAs work. :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix)
    I need to get my thingies so I can play .mp3 files and .wma files (if possible) in Gxine, and Juno is playing around in Synaptic but can't remember how to do it
    On feisty:

Applications → Add/Remove
    All available applications
    Other → Ubuntu restricted extras

For DVD support, install the package libdvdcss2

On Edgy:

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-pitfdll gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gxine libxine-main1 libxine-extracodecs ogle ogle-gui

and as usual libdvdcss2 for DVD playback.

For more information, see:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

ReputationRep:
    Ash doesn't have a DVD player. Her laptop isn't as good as my computer!

Lots of love,
    Juno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix)
    Ash doesn't have a DVD player. Her laptop isn't as good as my computer!

Lots of love,
    Juno
    Well just for the reference, making out on top of the laptop will NOT fix it...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 14, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.