Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelia76)
    Aw hopefully you got an A or even an A* you never know. How did you cope with bio and chem like how did you revise for them?
    With Biology (OCR), I did past papers and with questions that I would get wrong, I would put them into flashcards so I could learn them later. I would also make notes on any topics that I was weaker on, and would regularly read over them. It was hard work, but I really hope it all paid off.

For Chemistry (AQA) you can basically just learn the mark-scheme and get a good grade. So I did exactly that! Obviously you need to actually understand it and be able to apply it to get the A, which hopefully I have, but who knows? But until the change in the specification, the answers and questions would always be the same, so I just put them all on flashcards and learnt them throughout the year.

If you want to do well at A-Level, you really need to put the work in, and make sure to pay attention in lessons. If you've listened in all the lessons, it makes coming to revise the subjects so much easier. That said, it's important to relax sometimes

I also want to do medicine, do i have to pick maths and physics if i want to do medicine?
    No, you don't. You just need Chemistry, and for most universities, Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    With Biology (OCR), I did past papers and with questions that I would get wrong, I would put them into flashcards so I could learn them later. I would also make notes on any topics that I was weaker on, and would regularly read over them. It was hard work, but I really hope it all paid off.

For Chemistry (AQA) you can basically just learn the mark-scheme and get a good grade. So I did exactly that! Obviously you need to actually understand it and be able to apply it to get the A, which hopefully I have, but who knows? But until the change in the specification, the answers and questions would always be the same, so I just put them all on flashcards and learnt them throughout the year.

If you want to do well at A-Level, you really need to put the work in, and make sure to pay attention in lessons. If you've listened in all the lessons, it makes coming to revise the subjects so much easier. That said, it's important to relax sometimes

Thank god lol, thanks!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I also want to do medicine, do i have to pick maths and physics if i want to do medicine?
    I don't know because I think mostly it depends on the college U join ànd the country u r in because as well as I know medicine requires three sciences in most colleges …

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahida sulaiman)
    I don't know because I think mostly it depends on the college U join ànd the country u r in because as well as I know medicine requires three sciences in most colleges …
    In the UK, only Cambridge requires 3 sciences.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by surina16)
    In the UK, only Cambridge requires 3 sciences.
    Really!!! Well I m doing edexcel and am not in UK so that's why i guess??!!!

ReputationRep:
    I.C.T
    Undecided
    Undecided
    Probably won't do a 4th

ReputationRep:
    How did you revise for bio and chem?
    For biology I would make shorter, more concise notes on each topic on flashcards. That way, it didn't look like much to learn and was easy for someone to test me on. Past papers never go a miss for it either! It's all about exam technique for bio so definitely do the PPQs.

Chemistry is more taking the time to understand concepts. Like biology, I would've written flashcards on each topic, but as it's so unpredictable, the best thing to do is past papers definitely. Once you understand the basic concept, just do past paper questions to solidify your knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahida sulaiman)
    Really!!! Well I m doing edexcel and am not in UK so that's why i guess??!!!
    The requirements aren't different for internationals. If you are applying for the UK, then only Cambridge requires 3 sciences.

What subjects did you choose for your A levels, and what do you think was the hardest subject and why?
    In order of difficulty, hardest first, I chose:

- Philosophy
    - History
    - English lit
    - Geography (dropped after AS)

Philosophy was the hardest because there was a lot of content and most of it was difficult to get your head around. You couldn't just learn facts, you had to really understand each argument.

ReputationRep:
    MathsFurther MathsChemistryPhysicsFrench

ReputationRep:
    I did Ethics + Philosophy (AS only), Spanish, English Language, Japanese and Music. tbh they all had difficulties in themselves but maybe Spanish because I had to get extra tutoring sessions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunaomi)
    MathsFurther MathsChemistryPhysicsFrench
    How did you revise for chem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)

I am also doing Aqa chem, what do you think of the exam board? and thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I chose to do A-Level ICT, Geography, Art, RS and AS Psychology.

Because my subjects are all completely different and I'm good at all my subjects, it's difficult to say which is the hardest. I guess I would say Art because although it isn't difficult and I have a passion and I'm good at art, it is very time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    Biology(dropped after as)
    Psychology
    Sociology
    English language

Bio was definitely my hardest at AS compared to my other subjects bc of how much memorisation and exam practice is required, I ended up with an E in the subject. I'm so annoyed at the grade j got bc the content isn't actually that difficult to understand.
    At a2 psyc was probably the hardest. I did it on the exam board WJEC and you basically have to memorise a billion essays.
    Sociology and English were pretty straight forward, however saying this I'm unsure on how I've done on both these exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slee551)
    I chose to do A-Level ICT, Geography, Art, RS and AS Psychology.

Because my subjects are all completely different and I'm good at all my subjects, it's difficult to say which is the hardest. I guess I would say Art because although it isn't difficult and I have a passion and I'm good at art, it is very time consuming.
    yeah i heard it is very time consuming. By the way how did you revise for psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    Biology(dropped after as)
    Psychology
    Sociology
    English language

Bio was definitely my hardest at AS compared to my other subjects bc of how much memorisation and exam practice is required, I ended up with an E in the subject. I'm so annoyed at the grade j got bc the content isn't actually that difficult to understand.
    At a2 psyc was probably the hardest. I did it on the exam board WJEC and you basically have to memorise a billion essays.
    Sociology and English were pretty straight forward, however saying this I'm unsure on how I've done on both these exams
    AW hopefully you did great, and how did you revise for psychology. And for bio did you just have trouble to remember everything?

ReputationRep:
    From September on wards I'm doing:
    A-Level: Maths, Bio, Chem and Economics.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Psychology is one subject I'm hopefully going to take this September, my memory kind of sucks so what do you suggest i do to remember stuff? and how did you revise for this subject and what revision method did you find most to work?
    Assuming it's in the same format as our exam board (tons of key studies) be prepared for a lot of work.

I didn't really have any methods for revising it, just kept going over notes, recalling information and so on. I have a decentish memory so just going over the content until it stuck sufficed for me.

Few things I can suggest that helped:
    -- Start making notes early. Revise the studies regularly as you get them. In the first year we were getting through 1 study every week or two. By revising that study at the end of the week, along with all previous studies it was much easier. Don't wait until April or later and find yourself trying to recall information from the beginning of the year.

-- Pick out the key details you need. Don't try to remember every word and detail. For example in my notes for Milgram's study I didn't write:
    There were 40 participants, 100% of participants went to 300 volts and at 300 volts the learner was told to bang on the wall, 65% went to 450 volts and so on.

Instead my notes were literally noted and could almost sound like a story. So my notes might have said:
    40, 100 300 volt, learner bang wall, 65 450 volt

This helped for a few reasons. It looks like less content to learn (because it is), you only memorise enough details to answer the question (don't commit 5 results to memory if you'll need at most 3) and by leaving out important words/symbols (like participants, %, etc.) you're forced to make that link. If you saw Milgram and 40 you'd make the link to mean 40 participants. This improves memory.

-- Use whatever methods work for you. That might be group revision, colours, flashcards, whatever. Do whatever helps and do multiple things. Don't rely on one method. Look for patterns. Look for ways to shock your mind into remembering. If thinking "Oh wow, 100% of people went to 300 volts, that would mean all 20 people in this room could potentially kill a person" shocks you into remembering the exact numbers then great. Go for it.

Hopefully that's a little bit useful.

ReputationRep:
    I did bio, chem, psych, and math (AS only) Chemistry was definitely the hardest!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.