Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Women who breastfeed in the House of Commons chamber. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    It's still a professional setting.

I'm not anti-breastfeeding lol!

I'm anti-public display of it.
    I do agree that sometimes women should cover it up a little.

ANYWAY LETS END IT HERE.

ReputationRep:
    get over it

ReputationRep:
    by all means go ahead - if I was there I'd just see it as an opportunity to stare at her exposed nipples. mm. (well depending on how hot she is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    by all means go ahead - if I was there I'd just see it as an opportunity to stare at her exposed nipples. mm. (well depending on how hot she is)
    exactly. these pussies crying about how it's "unprofessional" make me laugh

ReputationRep:
    My local MP is male but IF she was female and had a baby* here are my thoughts ....

i) I would want her to continue to actively represent my interests in Parliament and would be pleased that she was willing to do so.
    ii) The baby would need to be regularly fed
    iii) If the baby was quiet then there would be no real problem in it being fed in the HoC chamber
    iv) If the baby was noisy I think that would hinder the MPs overall doing their job and would think it perfectly reasonable to expect the mother to adjourn to a separate room whether they could listen and/or watch a video/audio feed of the debate. If wecan watch it on the Parliament Channel so can she ......

So, I have no problem in principle but it should not get in the way of Parliament functioning properly. If the Speaker can call "Order, Order" to a gobby MP who is being disruptive then a wailing sprog should be treated the same.

* I think it would be reasonable to allow her to procreate while a serving MP

ReputationRep:
    Most men are normally begging to see boobs and probably do so on a daily basis in p*rn!

But as soon as it's not for their pleasure they want them covered up and taken away.

Grow up. Babies need to eat. What's the problem with a baby being in the HoC as long as it's not being disruptive?

SS

ReputationRep:
    This is the 21st century and women in politics are on the up. Why should a mother who needs to feed her child sit in a toilet to do the most natural thing in the world, and how do you come to the conclusion that it's 'unprofessional?'
    I'm assuming that the majority of you here are young people who don't have children. And why should she compromise her beliefs of breastfeeding v bottle to satisfy the prudish views of people who don't like it?
    Times are changing. Get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    ID rather see a woman breastfeeding in public than listen to some of the arse holes who sit in the HOC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbanlocations)
    Many years ago, something amazing was invented for babies to feed from called a breast. It's usually men who complain about breastfeeding in public. Breasts are for feeding children.
    I don't think anyone cares about breastfeeding in public, they care about breastfeeding at work. You shouldn't even have your babies with you at work. In what other professional role would that be tolerated? Do you think women are allowed to sit in business meetings with their kids?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    This is the 21st century and women in politics are on the up. Why should a mother who needs to feed her child sit in a toilet to do the most natural thing in the world, and how do you come to the conclusion that it's 'unprofessional?'
    I'm assuming that the majority of you here are young people who don't have children. And why should she compromise her beliefs of breastfeeding v bottle to satisfy the prudish views of people who don't like it?
    Times are changing. Get used to it.
    They could just not take their kids to work like everyone else on the planet?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have problems with breastfeeding but why would she do it in a place with significance and openly? Possibly she was trying to say a statement. If she wasn't, she would gone to the bathroom and done it in private. Breastfeeding may be good for newborns but would her baby lose nutrients if she breastfeed in private?

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is the problem here? As long as the baby isn't being disruptive by making noise I really don't see the issue. If men are distracted by the sight of women's nipples instead of focusing on the debate that's their problem, not hers

ReputationRep:
    A blatantly politicised move - these women are free to breastfeed literally anywhere else. They would do so if they weren't so obsessed with promoting some perverse form of female liberation that few others sympathise with.

ReputationRep:
    To paraphrase the original article:

Would you be fine with a cashier or estate agent breastfeeding her child in front of you?
    I personally wouldn't mind.

I don't see why women shouldn't breastfeed in the HoC as long as the baby isn't screaming its head off.

ReputationRep:
    Since when are babies even allowed in the HoC? My understanding was that the chamber is for MPs only and nobody else is allowed in (except the weird staff who read out results n stuff). Regardless, I don't think anybody in a professional environment should have their babies at work (apart from exceptional unforeseen circumstances). They should be concentrating on their jobs, not on parenting (male or female, breastfeeding or not). MPs are earning enough to pay for childcare.

For those saying "As long as they aren't making a noise then it isn't a problem", we all know it's not as simple as that. Babies can crack at any moment without warning, and the moment that happens it is disruptive.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with a woman breastfeeding. My only problem is if no alternatives are available and so there is no choice. Breasts are not designed for gawping at, but for feeding a baby.

ReputationRep:
    It is unprofessional, like doing it in the middle of a work meeting, and in context is quite likely to be political posturing.

Plus as said above "strangers" aren't meant to be in the House of Commons by tradition.

No I am not right-wing, misogynistic, etc, (although I do hate feminism) and I firmly believe women should be able to do it in the street, public transport, a private business of any sort.

ReputationRep:
    It's still a professional setting.

I'm not anti-breastfeeding lol!

I'm anti-public display of it.
    Why? Do breasts offend you? Can't keep it in your pants if you see them?

Honestly, it's boiling this week and I've seen hundreds of fellas with their tops off. But a woman wears a crop top and she's a sl*t. Mhhhmm.

I really don't actually understand the logic against public breastfeeding... If you can bring your child to work and bottle feed it on the job without interfering with your work, I don't see why you can't breastfeed. But workplace aside (because most people can't bring their baby to work let's be real), in public such as food courts and parks etc I really don't see any issue. What are your thoughts against this?

To me it's just very natural and animalistic... If I see a foal suckling from its mother it's cute but for some reason we're so scared of our own bodies people are repulsed when it's humans? I don't really get whats going on..?

ReputationRep:
    It's madness. You're working. Why would you take any child to the commons chamber, let alone a baby, let alone feed it while business goes on?

ReputationRep:
    How refreshing. A bunch of people largely ignorant of the mechanics and biology of breastfeeding seeing fit to comment on a woman's right to do so in a particular public setting.*

Tell you want. Why not go and find out something about how it all works? Maybe talk to actual breastfeeding women. Maybe learn about it and see if you might want to retract some of your frankly embarrassing rubbish from a public forum.*

I'm not saying that the House of Commons is an appropriate place for a child of any age. It isn't. I would say give female MPs a decent maternity leave and there'll be no need for anyone to breastfeed in the House of Commons at all. If at nine or twelve months a baby is still being fed round the clock so as to necessitate such an occurrence, that mother might want to chat to her health visitor about this little thing we call solid food. That's all that needs to be said on the matter really.*

But that's not what's being said. This thread seems to have turned into an excuse for people to spew a load of uneducated bile and vitriol against a minority of women and be gleeful that they have a screen of words like "unprofessional" to hide behind.*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.