The Student Room Group

Regressive left tries to twist Munich narrative to suit their agenda

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Exactly this. Sky News for example, disgustingly announced it as "another suspected homegrown radicalised attack" when they first trailed it, a clear indicator that we were supposed to assume it to have been Islamist.

Most people assume the perpetrator is an Islamist. Considering 99% of attacks in Europe are committed by followers of Islam it's not a hard conclusion to reach.
Original post by 1010marina
Honestly - it's not offensive or racist to assume that the nth terror attack of the week came from the same organisation as the others. Especially as the early information did seem to indicate that he was.

Gotta be honest, my initial reaction was: "here we go again...".

I fully expected it to be another ISIS inspired jihadi attack.

In this instance it seems he was just your typical mentally unhinged gun-spree attacker. With lone-wolf attacks it gets difficult to determine where mental illness ends and terrorism starts.

For example like the Joe Cox murder you can have a lone-wolf attacker, clearly mentally ill to the point of violent psychosis, and yet they'll be spouting some half-baked ideological stream of drivel.

I think that is a reality which goes as much for many lone-wolf Muslim attackers (radicals are well known for exploiting the vulnerable, mentally ill and retarded, so forth) as far right nut-bars or any other ideological influences.

Either way the spree of gun-attacks in the west lately is troubling, one wonders how long until the UK has one.

Maybe the stiff upper-lip reaction to 7/7 put the jihadis off, who knows.
Reply 22
As soon as reports that the shooter might be white started circulating, you could hear these idiots smacking their lips.
The terrifying thing is, there is very little you can do to stop gun attacks like this one. I've always wondered why planes (especially since 9/11 and increased security) were so often targeted by terrorists- when it would be far easier to say leave a bomb in a very crowded street or something like that.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

In this instance it seems he was just your typical mentally unhinged gun-spree attacker. With lone-wolf attacks it gets difficult to determine where mental illness ends and terrorism starts.

For example like the Joe Cox murder you can have a lone-wolf attacker, clearly mentally ill to the point of violent psychosis, and yet they'll be spouting some half-baked ideological stream of drivel.

I think that is a reality which goes as much for many lone-wolf Muslim attackers (radicals are well known for exploiting the vulnerable, mentally ill and retarded, so forth) as far right nut-bars or any other ideological influences.

Either way the spree of gun-attacks in the west lately is troubling, one wonders how long until the UK has one.

Maybe.

But what we notice all the time in the media is that lone-wolf Muslim attackers are 'radical Islamist attackers', whereas lone-wolf far-right attackers are 'mentally unhinged'.
Original post by richpanda
The terrifying thing is, there is very little you can do to stop gun attacks like this one. I've always wondered why planes (especially since 9/11 and increased security) were so often targeted by terrorists- when it would be far easier to say leave a bomb in a very crowded street or something like that.

It's what the IRA for example mostly used to do. The plane hijack as an act of terror was originally done by the PLO because acts of terror carried out in Israel (often of the type you describe) were not having much global impact. They quickly found that the media value of one plane hijack far outweighed street bombings or shootings.

The real media-grabber back then was when they took the Israeli Olympic team hostage and killed some, but it's harder for extremists to repeat those sort of acts now as the security around special events is intense. It is progressively getting more difficult for them to attack aircraft as well (although judging from recent events they are still managing it sometimes), hence the switch back to shopping malls, streets, railway stations, etc.

According to TSRians, deporting all Muslims and banning all future Muslim immigration will prevent those attacks.

Lel
Original post by Sisuphos
According to TSRians, deporting all Muslims and banning all future Muslim immigration will prevent those attacks.

Lel

Well it would certainly stop the Muslim attacks. Don't see the point you're trying to make here?
Well it would certainly stop the Muslim attacks. Don't see the point you're trying to make here?

No it won't. You don't need to be a resident to terrorise a country. Main 9/11 attackers were not US residents for example.
No it won't. You don't need to be a resident to terrorise a country. Main 9/11 attackers were not US residents for example.

Yes but as you said, if Muslims weren't allowed in at all as some TSR users suggest, then that wouldn't have happened. You can't deny it would certainly decrease the volume of attacks.
Yes but as you said, if Muslims weren't allowed in at all as some TSR users suggest, then that wouldn't have happened. You can't deny it would certainly decrease the volume of attacks.

What wouldn't have happened? 9/11?
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

It's dangerous to write off terror attacks as the work of mentally ill 'lone wolves'.

Clearly you have to be a mentally deranged nutjob to go out and kill people for any reason but if you disregard these people as violent loons thats a dangerous thing.

If you say your attack was inspired by radical Islam, whether you are a 'bit of a loner' or not, whether you were suffering from depression or physcosis or whatever -- your attack probably was. People rarely do things "just because". For something THAT brutal, people usually need a motive.

Labelling these people as lone wolf nutters provides politicians with the perfect opportunity to ignore Islam and do nothing about terrorism once again.

Oh, and if I went out and shot up a bunch of people shouting my head off about Hitler I'd be described as a neo-Nazi straight away. Shout Allahu Akbar and you're not a radical Muslim until there's physical evidence that you were plotting this with ISIS? Sure.
What wouldn't have happened? 9/11?

Of course 9/11 wouldn't have happened if Muslims had been banned from the US.

They learned to fly in US flying schools and boarded their planes in various US cities.
Well, everything is political these days. You can't blame them for trying, but I wish they'd wake up.
Original post by generallee
Of course 9/11 wouldn't have happened if Muslims had been banned from the US.

They learned to fly in US flying schools and boarded their planes in various US cities.

They were tourists in the US, not immigrants. I mentioned deporting Muslims and banning future Muslim immigration, not any and all Muslim movement. I've assumed that's what TSRian right-wingers wanted. Banning all Muslim movement including tourists and investors would not be welcomed by right-wingers (or so I hope?).
I think it's hilarious how the left (BBC included) were ready to celebrate at the prospect of the attacker being far-right..
Original post by KingBradly
Kinda disgraceful how the regressive left leaped on some scraps of misinformation to make it appear that the shooter was a far-right nationalist.

Europe is in the midst of a radical Islam motivated onslaught, and the regressive left are clearly desperate to deflect attention away from it because it doesn't suit their irrelevant agenda, which is pretty unpleasant when you think about it. They're trying to divert attention away from a problem among an immigrant demographic which is killing hundreds and causing huge amounts of terror, to a reactionary problem with European culture/society which currently poses very little danger. It's sort of like a parent ignoring their child's cancer and focusing their attention on the fact that they sometimes get very unpleasant and destructive because of the hysteria the cancer causes. It was fairly obvious that it was never a far right attack. The Breivik attack was targeted at a particular group he was ideologically opposed to. The Joe Cox killing was perpertrated by someone who was ideologically opposed to her. It is Islamic terrorists who kill indiscriminately, so it was fairly obvious who the perp was from the start.

"Munich shooting: teenage gunman researched killing sprees but had no Isis links"
Turns out it's not terorrism-related. Lone wolf.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Maybe.

But what we notice all the time in the media is that lone-wolf Muslim attackers are 'radical Islamist attackers', whereas lone-wolf far-right attackers are 'mentally unhinged'.

Usually because when muslims do it, it's because of an interpretation of their religion, while when crazy people do it, it's because they're crazy.
Original post by Trapz99
Turns out it's not terorrism-related. Lone wolf.

Terrorists can work alone... Just because you're a lone wolf doesn't mean it's not terror.

The phrase lone wolf is used to reduce the threat of terror and its use by the media is blatant manipulation of the public. It's deeply concerning

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending