Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedplant)
    Bristol? Oh wow, that would be great and all but I think Bristol is just reaching a bit too high for me. I dont know really, my grades are probably (?) good enough for most universities but it just seems like trying for Bristol is like wishing for a blue moon. The acceptance rate is pretty low, isnt it? Somewhere around 140 students?
    If you are applying for Vet then its going to be A grades wherever you apply.And the number of places is meaningless - you will up against 100s of other people wherever you apply, and since each Uni looks for different things, the number of places available doesn't give you a clue about whether they would make you an offer.

Thank you for the reply! The problem with looking at universities is that I really dont know which universities are good or which ones I want to apply to in the future, so as of right now I'm just trying to select subjects that will give me more of a range on universities I want to attend in the future. I'm just trying to prevent myself from having no options, really.
    About the social sciences part, would Psychology be considered as a social science subject? Does this mean that it wouldn't actually be of any use as I already have Biology and Chemistry?
    A Vet degree is a Vet degree. All UK vet degrees are accredited by the RVC and have to teach to a prescribed schedule. There is therefore no 'best' Vet School that gives out 'better' degrees. And your future clients aren't going to ask or care where you got your degree. In reality the choice will be made for you - most people are lucky to get even one offer, so you'll go wherever you get accepted - if you get accepted anywhere.

Usually Psych isnt considered a science as its not lab based. And if it isnt asked for specifically then there is no advantage in taking it.

LOTS MORE INFO & ADVICE about applying for Vet here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...inary_Medicine
    Read it ALL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    If you are applying for Vet then its going to be A grades wherever you apply.And the number of places is meaningless - you will up against 100s of other people wherever you apply, and since each Uni looks for different things, the number of places available doesn't give you a clue about whether they would make you an offer.

Usually Psych isnt considered a science as its not lab based. And if it isnt asked for specifically then there is no advantage in taking it.

LOTS MORE INFO & ADVICE about applying for Vet here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...inary_Medicine
    Read it ALL.
    Thank you! I understand now about the admissions part. I guess Psychology isnt that good after all (unless stated that it is required, of course)? It seems only Surrey listed Psychology - and Physics - as a 'desirable' A level subject alongside Biology and Chemistry.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The problem with looking at universities is that I really dont know which universities are good or which ones I want to apply to in the future

would Psychology be considered as a social science subject? Does this mean that it wouldn't actually be of any use as I already have Biology and Chemistry?
    There are a lot of websites you can look at to see which unis are best for you, such as Which? Uni and thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk - the best way to decide whether a uni is good for you or not is definitely to visit the open days and you should visit them fairly early on. Keeping your options open sounds a good idea, though, and I don't see why you'd have a problem with that

Also, many unis (especially the bigger ones) do consider Psychology to be a social science. Having Biology and Chemistry definitely win over having Psychology, so you'll be fine picking History instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.