Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mum hates that I play games Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is she of East Asian descent? If so, she would be impossible to convince - it is part of the culture to demonise what she doesn't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    So i'm a gamer gurllll loljk and i play LoL, perhaps one-five games a day and since it's the summers i have every right to do so.

i also have a part time job, i also learn other things in my spare time like maths, painting, DIY stuff.

my mum knows that i do all of this but she picks out gaming and say ''people who game will ruin their life, i dont want you to play anymore, you should do better things in your spare time'' so by now i'm quite mad at her hypocrisy as she binge watches tv dramas like throughout the night...wtf

do you think this is reasonable? i dont spend ALL day playing games, i do other things too. she even compares me to other 20 years old who start a millionaire business at a young age and how theyre much better than me...im ******* 16 havent even done my A levels...smh asian parents knows no bounds.

she randomly gives me lectures at dinner time too like i cant even eat in peace. my dad knows how inconvenient it is but he also plays along with her like...
    Well just prove her wrong and get into uni and then lock yourself away at halls and play games all day long and she will be none the wiser hehehehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    So i'm a gamer gurllll loljk and i play LoL, perhaps one-five games a day and since it's the summers i have every right to do so.

i also have a part time job, i also learn other things in my spare time like maths, painting, DIY stuff.

my mum knows that i do all of this but she picks out gaming and say ''people who game will ruin their life, i dont want you to play anymore, you should do better things in your spare time'' so by now i'm quite mad at her hypocrisy as she binge watches tv dramas like throughout the night...wtf

do you think this is reasonable? i dont spend ALL day playing games, i do other things too. she even compares me to other 20 years old who start a millionaire business at a young age and how theyre much better than me...im ******* 16 havent even done my A levels...smh asian parents knows no bounds.

she randomly gives me lectures at dinner time too like i cant even eat in peace. my dad knows how inconvenient it is but he also plays along with her like...

Can you tell her that it is like meditation for you?
    That it helps you relax and get good grades when you study?

And you could tell her that gaming has been proved to help train pilots and keyhole surgeons and improves concentration.

I know someone who has just qualified as an actuary (the exams are like the toughest ever) and he games all the time - except when he's studying and working.
    It did ok for him

ReputationRep:
    I used to play LoL (D5) and video games in general, I just stopped playing and never looked back. My parents hated me playing them though, so much so I was only allowed at specific hours during the day after I'd done revision etc... I was ****ing 14-15 at the time

ReputationRep:
    I am legal guardian to one of my grandchildren who is 17, and one of those "irritating older generation". I'm at uni, he's at college. It's the holidays. He spends most of his time gaming and I do my own thing. We both eat when we're hungry whatever the time. He helps around the house and garden when asked and that's how it is.
    My youngest son, now 32, was gaming mad. He is now a Senior Software Engineer, is high up in the field of coding and lectures on his work.

ReputationRep:
    She's right, get a life! ‘Gamer’ is just a synonym for ‘virgin’.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by junayd1998)
    I play LoL too haha
    the community is BS but i keep playing it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rather_Cynical)
    Is she of East Asian descent? If so, she would be impossible to convince - it is part of the culture to demonise what she doesn't understand.
    someone knows what theyre dealing with :s

ReputationRep:
    Tbf is does seem a bit yawn that people spend min 5 hrs playing games as gamers it just seems unhealthy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What tier are you?
    i used to be D5 now im G4 :rofl: and damn G4 is so hard to maintain cos the moment im in, everyone in my team just play so bad from the beginning throughout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    You ain't no girl babes. We weren't allowed to be on computers and video games growing up also, and I'm thankful for that instead we were out doing activities. Listen to your mama.
    Video games are not just the games, they can also be beneficial
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What tier are you?
    i used to be D5 now im G4 :rofl: and damn G4 is so hard to maintain cos the moment im in, everyone in my team just play so bad from the beginning throughout

ReputationRep:
    Become a millionaire gamer youtuber just to piss her off xD
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Infamous*)
    oh how i wish i could say '' i told u so'' just once
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Infamous*)
    oh how i wish i could say '' i told u so'' just once

ReputationRep:
    She's a mother on a power trip, nothing you can do. She probably thinks she knows more than doctors, physicists and vets too.

(Original post by Rather_Cynical)
    It's part of every culture to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    It's part of every culture to do that.
    I know, except education is pushed so hard in China/Korea/Japan/etc that any form of leisure or break or distraction is seen as something that will set up inevitable failure, even if all reason points the other way.

In China it's a national obsession since the Great Leap Forward messed everything up, so entire generations sell off their homes to send their kids to the US/UK or Canada/Australia for studying.

The use of computers is usually conflated with "obsessed with games all day and not studying" even if they decide to study 8 to 10 hours a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    .. ? ?? ??? ?
    You mean just you, right?
    And siblings ?

ReputationRep:
    It's probably because LoL is a **** game.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.