Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The "Is this university/course good enough for banking/consultancy?" thread [part 2] Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Although I realise these threads tend to be skewed towards IB rather than consulting, I was wondering whether anybody knows whether it's possible to get an internship at McKinseys or another high calibre consultancy if I go to Warwick? (Doing compsci)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel cripps)
    Although I realise these threads tend to be skewed towards IB rather than consulting, I was wondering whether anybody knows whether it's possible to get an internship at McKinseys or another high calibre consultancy if I go to Warwick? (Doing compsci)
    It is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel cripps)
    It is possible since other Warwick students have done it before. However, the big strategy consultants like McKinsey prefer Oxbridge candidates and, to a lesser extent, LSE and Imperial graduates. However, you will stand a chance as a Warwick student if you build up experience and get involved in extracurricular and maybe network with employees at places like McKinsey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You may correct me if I am wrong Princepieman but Warwick is a top feeder for McKinsey and even have campus recruiting :http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/students/undergraduate-degree-candidates/university-of-warwick
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acontium)
    You may correct me if I am wrong Princepieman but Warwick is a top feeder for McKinsey and even have campus recruiting :http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/students/undergraduate-degree-candidates/university-of-warwick
    Not a 'top feeder', that would go to Oxbridge/imperial/LSE, but definitely gets attention from all three consulting firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    If you ask one of these aforementioned questions, I will egg your house/apartment.
    So is UCL good
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soLit)
    So is UCL good
    Mate do you want your house egged?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mate do you want your house egged?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Plot twist, I am an egg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soLit)
    So is UCL good
    I ran out of eggs you're lucky

ReputationRep:
    I know you probably won't like this question, but is there a full list of semi-target and target universities as the OP says there are a few others. I also have a question, would going to the University of Surrey limit my chances? For AS I only got BBCD, could I still turn it around and get into IB in the future? If the questions are stupid, I'm sorry as I have very little knowledge on the matter. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImGoingToFail12)
    I know you probably won't like this question, but is there a full list of semi-target and target universities as the OP says there are a few others. I also have a question, would going to the University of Surrey limit my chances? For AS I only got BBCD, could I still turn it around and get into IB in the future? If the questions are stupid, I'm sorry as I have very little knowledge on the matter. Thanks.
    There's an FAQ thread. And yes you can, just work your butt off to increase your grades whilst you still can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's an FAQ thread. And yes you can, just work your butt off to increase your grades whilst you still can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks mate, I didn't see that, but I'll head over and have a look now. I think putting in some work I'll be able to manage AAB.

ReputationRep:
    KCL are starting a BSC Econ in 2017 in aware they're ranked low for econ atm but do you think this would increase and be useful to pursue a career in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie31289)
    KCL are starting a BSC Econ in 2017 in aware they're ranked low for econ atm but do you think this would increase and be useful to pursue a career in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    KCL is a semi-target, that's all the relevant info you really need. The course will neither make you more competitive nor prepare you more than any other course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham or nottingham for IB and why

ReputationRep:
    Also with 5A*s at gcse 3as 1b and 4as at AS where shud i bellooking to apply where I have a decent choice for their economics or maths and economics degrees where i have a good chance of getting in and also a voo7good chance of IB
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    Birmingham or nottingham for IB and why
    Nottingham, covered in the FAQ why.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    Also with 5A*s at gcse 3as 1b and 4as at AS where shud i bellooking to apply where I have a decent choice for their economics or maths and economics degrees where i have a good chance of getting in and also a voo7good chance of IB
    Depends on your ps. Spread out your risk
    Pick 2 or 3 'top tier unis' - oxbridge, ucl lse warwick
    1 or 2 mid tier like notts bristol or bath
    1 or 2 low tier/easier to get into like manchester or leeds

Depends on your predicted grades too and whether you do maths or FM at a level
    Having said that you stand an excellent chance at some very good universities provided you have a good PS and extea curriculurs. Be wise. The world may or may not be your oyster
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    KCL is a semi-target, that's all the relevant info you really need. The course will neither make you more competitive nor prepare you more than any other course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see you saying this in every post. I don't understand how people haven't got it yet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.