Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Religious girls - how important is it to you that you partner is religious too? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I m a strong atheist but i guess as my fiancee only believes in god rather than following a specific religion, it's never caused us any issues as we have the same morals and values . As for our kids, we're going to try to educate them as to both of our religious view points, answer any questions they have in life and then leave them to make their own choices.
    Yeah this I understand and is what I will probably want. I'm not an atheist, I do believe in spiritual beings though not necessarily a God. However, I am fairly against organised religion. That being said, I would be with someone who was mildly religious but as I want to have children, they will HAVE to agree to not indoctrinating our children. It should be their [our children's] decision to choose religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esoteric-)
    But Christianity is quite inconducive to feminism, no?...especially modern day feminism.

Did not know you were religious. What religion are you?

If it wasnt for western women and their shameful behaviour, I wouldnt have made this thread. You do not have enough experience with women if what I'm saying comes as a shock to you.
    I'm Baptist, dedicated at birth, been adult baptised at 17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    One of the main reasons is because in the Bible we aren't not supposed to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. So God is against Christians being in such a relationship with people who aren't Christian. I also don't see the difference with being strongly religious or not. You're either religious and actually follow it all or you're not.
    But then how much, exactly, would one have to be a Christian using that logic? If you disregard one verse. I guarantee you are unintentionally disregarding a verse every day, it's almost impossible not to. Does that mean you're now not a Christian? By strongly religious, I refer to the degree of which religion is important in one's life. For some, they hold the beliefs, but it doesn't impact their life as strongly as it may another. That is why I use the term "strongly religious".

So God is against Christians being in such a relationship with people who aren't Christian.
    I would be intrigued to see that verse. That would be pretty ignorant, to be blunt, and would be promoting hatred and inequalities.

ReputationRep:
    [edited]

As for the question: I'm religious, it doesn't concern me whether my partner was religious or not as long as he fully respects my religion and my desire to raise our children with religion.

ReputationRep:
    I would ideally marry a religious man. I'm a feminist and I'm Muslim. I think you should stop generalising the idea that religious women can never be a feminist.
    [edited}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samerf)
    I would ideally marry a religious man. I'm a feminist and I'm Muslim. I think you should stop generalising the idea that religious women can never be a feminist.
    somali women won't want him.
    Neither would any religious woman or a woman with common sense. The way he views women is horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As a Christian woman, I wouldn't mind what religion my partner was, only that they were a feminist.
    what brand of feminism? third wave? MRA?

ReputationRep:
    I don't care, as long as they're not a die hard preacher.

ReputationRep:
    Given the way most western women have become, i.e. undignified, shameless, slutty, rude, man-hating, boorish and self-important, its understandable that marriage rates are declining in the West.

As such, it seems the only way to find a good woman to marry is to go for a religious girl or a foreign girl, who's brain hasnt been corrupted by western decadence and feminism.

So interested in hearing from religious girls how important is it to you that your bf/husband also be religious?
    I'm a Christian and I have dated non-Christian boys in the past but now that I'm 19 it's very important to me that my boyfriend is a Christian. I'm at the point in my life where I don't want to waste my time so I only will date Christian guys. I'm happy because my current boyfriend is a Chistian

So interested in hearing from religious girls how important is it to you that your bf/husband also be religious?
    To me, it's one of if not thE most important thing now.

I became religious just this year out of my own search for the answers to the questions that consumed my mind every day. Growing up, I received a great deal of education about the religion I was born into but never committed to it. This year I began to truly learnt about my religion out of my own interest and whoever I end up with will have to be at the same level as me or more.

If you'd like to know why? My mum is religious and my dad is not. They have had countless arguments over this for so many years and it's just total incompatibility, I aspire to NEVER have a relationship as polar opposite as theirs, it's truly toxic and it makes me sick.

It's like a meat eater and a vegan..I'm sure there are those couples out there, but in general when there are such strong beliefs involved, it can be trouble causing and very difficult to look past.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not religious and I want an easy life, no religious men for me.

ReputationRep:
    This thread made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    But then how much, exactly, would one have to be a Christian using that logic? If you disregard one verse. I guarantee you are unintentionally disregarding a verse every day, it's almost impossible not to. Does that mean you're now not a Christian? By strongly religious, I refer to the degree of which religion is important in one's life. For some, they hold the beliefs, but it doesn't impact their life as strongly as it may another. That is why I use the term "strongly religious".

I would be intrigued to see that verse. That would be pretty ignorant, to be blunt, and would be promoting hatred and inequalities.
    If you really want to know then read Revelations chapter 22. If someone is ignorant about something like a new Christian will be then this will be overlooked it it's unintentional.
    But if I deliberately went out of my way to disregard or add to one verse, or even choose not to study the whole Scriptures and strive to know everything then yes I am no longer a proper Christian and will be deceiving myself.
    I still don't think there is such thing as a strong or weaker Christian in terms of the persons choices.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what future you're expecting to have and how devout you are. I am in an agnostic stage of my life, a little selfish I guess, I don't want to believe there's nothing once I die but at the same time cannot be convinced that there is anything. I do, however, respect those who are religious for having a faith. I wish I could follow one and have hope guide me through my life. But I do not. Unfortunately science and reason has provided enough answers for me. I could live and most likely marry someone who didn't live their life like that, however. It's when you're preaching and trying to convince me to get my lazy ass out of bed on a Sunday that I cross the line. It's nobody else's job to tell me how to live my life, so as long as their religion leaves me unaffected, then I am happy.

And, I would just like to add, your view on non-religious Western women is disgraceful. You tw*t.
    From an "undignified, shameless, slutty, rude, man-hating, boorish and self-important" Western woman.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm an atheist/agnostic and I'd prefer someone who was the same because I just find that non religious people tend to be more switched on about science; that and religious people are too busy damning me to hell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studyblr_mr)
    For me it is very important that they have the same beliefs. I feel that if they don't it could lead to arguments as I like to discuss issues surrounding religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's the point of selectively discussing issues with someone who believes the exact same thing you do? You are basically just building yourself an echo chamber.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.