Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

can i go into law without doing a degree in law????? helpppp Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I agree with your point about not touching the GDL or LPC until you know for sure this is what you want to do. The issue of sponsorship is not that straight forward for a lot of legal careers, a minority of people entering the legal professions will secure sponsorship prior to starting the course.I've seen plenty of graduates who are not career changers get recruited. Yes, they have a fair amount of work to do to pursue the career, but it is something that can easily be achieved through some work experience, networking and research. It doesn't take that long if your determined enough. I've seen people do it within 3 months, which is no time at all really.Just because someone has thought they wanted to be a lawyer since they were 14 and have all the things people think are tick boxes on their CV (e.g. president of the law society etc), doesn't mean they are suitable. In fact they can sometimes be the worst candidates were their career motivation/expectation is driven by a dream rather than reality.
    I agree with you . My relative , on starting the GDL worked one day a week in a law firm and also did Pro Bono work which demonstrated their drive . Even though their journalism career was short term contracts , apart from an annual holiday they had never not worked which demonstrated a strong work ethic . I feel this is worth mentioning as on application forms they were asked to explain any gaps that were not studying / work / annual holiday .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.