Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Isolde's GCSEs- getting grades back up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iso.lde)
    Today was another day of malfunctioning tills ;-; Luckily tomorrow is my day off so I'll use it wisely. I've just done a bit on standard form, which I can surprisingly handle quite well. It's amazing how much I've subliminally taken in from staring into space for a year, hah. I'll read for a little while and then start some language notes and maybe more math stuff if I have time.
    Maybe you have beeen listening, but you haven't noticed That can happen, it happened to me with some B1/P1 stuff, where I just needed to jog my mind a bit.

ReputationRep:
    So I've been MIA for a few days to catch up with some stuff, both work and non-work related. It's my second week in a new place and I've had a lot to do T-T

Anyway, over the past few days I caught up on some work on surds, which I think I wrapped my head around pretty easily. However, I'd really like to start making more notes over the next few days on other subjects and starting some past papers. Also, starting my English and Art summer homework would be a good idea.

So in summary, for myself, this is what I have to get done this week:
    • Friend's birthday, Thursday. Must finish card, etc. Funny how I can make an illustrated card for my friend's birthday but I can't start some sketches for GCSE art.
    • Make more notes on rationalising and trigonometry, do some questions, etc.
    • Finish a past paper for maths.
    • Sort out my work days T-T
    Agg. So stress. My volunteering place is really lovely and fun but it tires me out. It's also a half hour walk there from my house in the rain and/or stuffy heat for which I have to wear a sweater and jeans for because none of my other clothes would be right for running around a charity shop all day :s

ReputationRep:
    Ach, totally forgot about this thread/site in all that's been happening the past few weeks. Charity shop, studying, throwing my weight around in various exciting ways... Very hectic for my usually very dull and banal life. Usually the summer holidays, for me, consist of staying in, watching old French films and trying to ignore the impending year of misery, but this one has been quite busy.
    In short, I've covered a lot of things over the last fortnight, too many for me to list right this moment as I'm packing to head down to London tomorrow and I've a lot of other things to get sorted. I'm quite happy with my language progress, too- the charity shop I work in has quite a few foreign customers as I live in a mildly touristy town and I was able to converse with a few of them, which is ultimately why I'm studying languages at all!
    I saw my friend, who is a year older and just getting her results today, this past weekend and she gave me a few history textbooks and revision guides, as well as some advice, which was nice. I'm really easing into the work mindset now, I can actually picture my exams as a tangible thing that will happen, so I'm feeling a little... buzzed? Motivated? I don't know. Maybe it's just because my mum's promised me tickets to the opera if I try hard, hah!

I'll comb through some other gyg threads when I have the time, for now it's ironing more shirts for this weekend!

ReputationRep:
    Ach, totally forgot about this thread/site in all that's been happening the past few weeks. Charity shop, studying, throwing my weight around in various exciting ways... Very hectic for my usually very dull and banal life. Usually the summer holidays, for me, consist of staying in, watching old French films and trying to ignore the impending year of misery, but this one has been quite busy.
    In short, I've covered a lot of things over the last fortnight, too many for me to list right this moment as I'm packing to head down to London tomorrow and I've a lot of other things to get sorted. I'm quite happy with my language progress, too- the charity shop I work in has quite a few foreign customers as I live in a mildly touristy town and I was able to converse with a few of them, which is ultimately why I'm studying languages at all!
    I saw my friend, who is a year older and just getting her results today, this past weekend and she gave me a few history textbooks and revision guides, as well as some advice, which was nice. I'm really easing into the work mindset now, I can actually picture my exams as a tangible thing that will happen, so I'm feeling a little... buzzed? Motivated? I don't know. Maybe it's just because my mum's promised me tickets to the opera if I try hard, hah!

I'll comb through some other gyg threads when I have the time, for now it's ironing more shirts for this weekend!
    If you are doing AQA for history and philosophy and ethics, what revision guide or resources do you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daydreamer3)
    If you are doing AQA for history and philosophy and ethics, what revision guide or resources do you use?
    I'm not on those exam boards for those subjects but I actually just got given some revision guides for history, which are here, here and here. As for Philosophy and Ethics I use this textbook. Truth be told, until recently I really wasn't doing much revision so I'm still getting my stuff together, hah.

ReputationRep:
    God, I forgot I was getting my results back for the exams I took in May. I'm honestly not going to open them, I don't even want to know. They were Science, so I'm not too bothered, but *gag*. The thought of exams and results and school is already making me feel nauseous. Part of me is so ready to go back to school and put in the work and effort towards that fabulous career but another part is screaming 'ditch uni and run away to Austria to become a baker and never worry about academia again'.

ReputationRep:
    God, I forgot I was getting my results back for the exams I took in May. I'm honestly not going to open them, I don't even want to know. They were Science, so I'm not too bothered, but *gag*. The thought of exams and results and school is already making me feel nauseous. Part of me is so ready to go back to school and put in the work and effort towards that fabulous career but another part is screaming 'ditch uni and run away to Austria to become a baker and never worry about academia again'.
    I remember getting my Science and RE results in Year 10, seemed like it was only yesterday rofl. It's okay, you'll be fine. I mean how do you think we feel? We're abou to get like 8-10 results LOL. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyres)
    I remember getting my Science and RE results in Year 10, seemed like it was only yesterday rofl. It's okay, you'll be fine. I mean how do you think we feel? We're abou to get like 8-10 results LOL. :ahee:
    Hah, I suppose so. Good luck in any case!

ReputationRep:
    I got my results for Science back! B in both Physics and Biology and C in Chemistry, as well as an A* in the controlled assessment. Not bad for literally no revision :teehee: But seriously, I'm not slacking off in Science again. I was stupid and lazy this year and it just proves how good I could have done if I had actually tried. At least my head's in gear in time for year eleven.

ReputationRep:
    I got my results for Science back! B in both Physics and Biology and C in Chemistry, as well as an A* in the controlled assessment. Not bad for literally no revision :teehee: But seriously, I'm not slacking off in Science again. I was stupid and lazy this year and it just proves how good I could have done if I had actually tried. At least my head's in gear in time for year eleven.
    What did you get overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    What did you get overall?
    B, which I'm fairly okay with.

ReputationRep:
    B, which I'm fairly okay with.
    That's good! You probably have the option to retake next year, so don't worry about it too much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    That's good! You probably have the option to retake next year, so don't worry about it too much!
    Yeah, it counts towards the six exams I'll be taking next year so I'm not too worried as I'm sure I'll be able to bump them up. If not, I'm still happy with a B!

ReputationRep:
    Oy. Today was the first day back and I'm already feeling a little run down- probably just the long commute back to my house to be honest, other than that nothing else really bothered me today. I worked hard, actually ate lunch (which probably aided the work) and got on with it. Less nerves than most years. The coffee probably helped too.

Some homework/tasks I'll be dealing with in the near future:
    • Art- desperate need of filling up my sketchbook. I seriously regret taking art, I loathe it. But I still need to do it. So to get my two pieces of coursework done by Christmas, I'll need to churn out more bland, bland sketches of buildings and statues in the meantime.
    • History- Every Friday we'll be set revision homework for our Germany topic (which we finished last academic year) to keep it memorised while we move on with Medicine. I find the topic quite interesting anyway so it shouldn't be too bad.
    • Philosophy and Ethics- Probably a lot of exam questions. I'll need to set time aside if I get E questions.
    Those are just the lessons I had today, so I'll update tomorrow when I've been to more. I think I'm going to pass out now.

ReputationRep:
    Okay! So today we actually started to get set homework, which in my books is good, because I need to get used to it fast. Tonight I need to:
    • Annotate my copy of A Christmas Carol a little. Perks of working in a charity shop: cheap books when your teacher springs it on you that you need to buy a copy! It's a lovely orange Penguin as well
    • Get some Bible quotes down on human relationships for Philosophy & Ethics. Should be easy. Used to have my own copy of the Bible, should really work on getting a new one.
    • German practice. Maybe Italian and Russian tonight as well as I haven't touched on Russian in a few days.
    • Read some more if I have nothing else to do. I'm currently reading I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.
    That's all for tonight. I think I'll have some more stuff to update with as the weeks pass. I like sticking my tasks on here, it almost guilts me into doing them...

ReputationRep:
    Okay! I've been waiting to update here until I actually had something to update with, because otherwise it'd just be dozens of posts with 'I went to work, I read, I was tired...' but now things have started moving quite fast.

In the past two weeks, I have:
    • Joined my local youth council
    • Done public speaking for the first time- in front of years seven, eight and nine
    • Got all my homework in on time (record high streak for the past three years, trust me)
    • ACTUALLY PAID ATTENTION IN MATHS AND THUS FOUND OUT I AM ACTUALLY NOT THAT STUPID. I actually... enjoy? it? a little bit?
    I'm already really proud of my progress, however, I could be doing extra-extra work, because I want outstanding results, not just good ones. So I'll start setting myself weekly goals (which I'll post here- will probably be updating this thread bi-weekly) as well as results, so I can record what actually works for me.

So here's what I need to get done by Friday, 30th September:
    • A considerate amount of art coursework. Last year I was so caught up in being behind in maths that I didn't even notice art starting to slip. As much as I regret taking it (I lust after business studies ) I still need to do it, so I'd better get on with it and start begrudgingly filling up my sketchpad.
    • Extra notes on A Christmas Carol for English.
    • Extra work on trigonometry, as although I've picked it up quite easily, I need to make sure anything I learn in maths actually sticks considering I did no work last year.
    • Extra reading in History. I've always loved getting ahead in History as I find it quite easy and I want to guarantee I get the best grades I can. I also need to do extra revision on Germany seeing as we won't be revisiting it this year and we haven't touched on it since about January.
    See you then! x

ReputationRep:
    Okay! I've been waiting to update here until I actually had something to update with, because otherwise it'd just be dozens of posts with 'I went to work, I read, I was tired...' but now things have started moving quite fast.

In the past two weeks, I have:
    • Joined my local youth council
    • Done public speaking for the first time- in front of years seven, eight and nine
    • Got all my homework in on time (record high streak for the past three years, trust me)
    • ACTUALLY PAID ATTENTION IN MATHS AND THUS FOUND OUT I AM ACTUALLY NOT THAT STUPID. I actually... enjoy? it? a little bit?
    I'm already really proud of my progress, however, I could be doing extra-extra work, because I want outstanding results, not just good ones. So I'll start setting myself weekly goals (which I'll post here- will probably be updating this thread bi-weekly) as well as results, so I can record what actually works for me.

So here's what I need to get done by Friday, 30th September:
    • A considerate amount of art coursework. Last year I was so caught up in being behind in maths that I didn't even notice art starting to slip. As much as I regret taking it (I lust after business studies ) I still need to do it, so I'd better get on with it and start begrudgingly filling up my sketchpad.
    • Extra notes on A Christmas Carol for English.
    • Extra work on trigonometry, as although I've picked it up quite easily, I need to make sure anything I learn in maths actually sticks considering I did no work last year.
    • Extra reading in History. I've always loved getting ahead in History as I find it quite easy and I want to guarantee I get the best grades I can. I also need to do extra revision on Germany seeing as we won't be revisiting it this year and we haven't touched on it since about January.
    See you then! x
    Great to hear you're doing so well!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 24, 2016
Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.