Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm so putting forward an amendment with Aph as a seconder xD
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    I will probably nay on this motion, I like points 1 and 3 but I want an overhaul of motions and amendments.

In real life an MP moves a motion and then someone seconds it, whilst on TSR a motion is almost forced on the house. I'd like for motions and amendments to be put into division for 1 day where the vote is if people will second it or not, once a threshold has been reached it re-enters for discussion.
    That is a time consuming bureaucratic process which will lead to MPs voting aye for the debate to take place. If there is going to be a debate before the vote to decide if there should be a debate on the amendment, that is a silly system to have because the debate deciding if there should be a vote would be debating the amendment which would be repeated when the debate is authorised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    That is a time consuming bureaucratic process which will lead to MPs voting aye for the debate to take place. If there is going to be a debate before the vote to decide if there should be a debate on the amendment, that is a silly system to have because the debate deciding if there should be a vote would be debating the amendment which would be repeated when the debate is authorised.
    I didn't explain myself clearly obviously. The first vote would include no debate, just a locked thread with a poll. That way everyone can see a motion/amendment so you don't have to go around PM'ing people etc.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I didn't explain myself clearly obviously. The first vote would include no debate, just a locked thread with a poll. That way everyone can see a motion/amendment so you don't have to go around PM'ing people etc.
    Pretty sure if you lock the thread, the poll locks too! (not 100% sure on that though!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Pretty sure if you lock the thread, the poll locks too! (not 100% sure on that though!)
    Oh well I don't know about how the forum works

But the basic idea is just a 1 day vote (no debate) on whether people second the motion/amendment, it reaches a threshold, then it's debated.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I wouldn't say that's the best solution.
    In the early days members weren't allowed to debate in the first reading just comment on their thoughts. Going back to that I would support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Thing is, Nigel has said anyone can put him down as seconder on anything, I'm generally fairly willing to put my name down as seconder on most things, even if I don't really agree, and I think others are of the same opinion, as it helps spark a bit of debate, so I agree about getting rid of need for seconders tbh. If it's that bad, it won't be passed in Division.
    Yeah I agree, I've seen some dumb things make it to division anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Please send this to the Division Lobby for a vote.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Please send this to the Division Lobby for a vote.
    I thought you were going to wait for the constitution amendment to pass/fail before voting on this?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I thought you were going to wait for the constitution amendment to pass/fail before voting on this?
    Both will be voted on at the same time but both will need to pass for the new Constitution, or the new Guidance Document to be implemented. If one passes I shall edit the other one to get more MPs agreeing to vote aye to the replacement Constitution, or Guidance Document.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Surely something if this magnitude shouldn't be rushed?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Surely something if this magnitude shouldn't be rushed?
    I wanted members to debate it, however, not many did, the amendments cannot go slower if I think the amendments are ready but changes are not being proposed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I wanted members to debate it, however, not many did, the amendments cannot go slower if I think the amendments are ready but changes are not being proposed.
    If you want people to debate it 1) don't bother, of won't happen, and 2) do it in little chunks. Presented with such a large people most will go "meh, CBA, abstain"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Division! Clear the Lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.