Why are universities so aggressively liberal and left wing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themini)
    :congrats:
    Please!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    If you look at the people who are aggressively leftist on university campuses you'll find that many of them are snowflake liberal arts students doing degrees in non-subjects like Oriental Studies or Russian Literature. The people who get so worked up at university are the new generation of millennials who subscribe to the notion that they're entitled to free education and a six figure salary post-graduate for the simple fact that they're a human being. I understand that freedom of expression is becoming a rarity on many university campuses - especially for people like us who are politically conservative - but you shouldn't feel threatened by blue-haired feminists who want to silence the opposition using one of their four buzzwords: racist, bigot, homophobe or sexist.

I would also make the distinction between "liberal" and "leftist". A leftist is someone who is at the radical end of the political spectrum who abides to the notion of political correctness and the demise of freedom of thought and expression. A liberal, however, is someone who follow progressive principles but also believes in true liberal policies like right to offend and the right to bear arms. A good example of a liberal is Dave Rubin - you should Youtube him as his interviews are superb.
    The right to offend is liberal, indeed, but the right to bear arms? Care to prove that?

ReputationRep:
    It is in part down to magical thinking on behalf of people of those who hold right wing views. I've noticed many young right wingers like to cast themselves as radical thinkers who are persecuted or ostracised by others. In reality their views are about as radical as my Nan's doilies and they are just looking to portray themselves as victims.

ReputationRep:
    They don't "think" they're intelligent. They are. So don't get butthurt. I'm not going to go to uni if that counts but I have no problems accepting how the world works. Get over your own insecurities.
    Going to uni doesn't mean you're intelligent; plenty of universities accept students with poor A level grades. Not to mention many students are in higher education because they have nothing better to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    Going to uni doesn't mean you're intelligent; plenty of universities accept students with poor A level grades. Not to mention many students are in higher education because they have nothing better to do.
    What a strawman argument. I think you'll find that the vast majority of university students get better jobs when they come out. They tend to lead the field and progress into more academic professions and from the elite institutions, they're the ones leading us in science, maths, engineering and modern medicine. Care to find a school drop out who is leading us in medicine? or is a doctor? Good luck. I'm not bigoted, I'm aware there are exceptions in business and entrepreneurship. But they're rare. Majority of successful business owners have had further study at university and I acknowledge there are crappy universities but in general, university students are far brighter. Its a fact of life, if it was easy everyone would have degrees.

ReputationRep:
    What a strawman argument. I think you'll find that the vast majority of university students get better jobs when they come out. They tend to lead the field and progress into more academic professions and from the elite institutions, they're the ones leading us in science, maths, engineering and modern medicine. Care to find a school drop out who is leading us in medicine? or is a doctor? Good luck. I'm not bigoted, I'm aware there are exceptions in business and entrepreneurship. But they're rare. Majority of successful business owners have had further study at university and I acknowledge there are crappy universities but in general, university students are far brighter.
    Obviously you will get more successful people from elite institutions, and in general, you will get a better job with a GOOD degree, but McDonalds is full of people who have a degree.. I'm not saying you don't need to go to university to be successful, my main point is that being at a university doesn't mean you're intelligent, and plenty of universities accept unintelligent students, moreover, university will give you knowledge, and knowing a lot won't make you intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    If you look at the people who are aggressively leftist on university campuses you'll find that many of them are snowflake liberal arts students doing degrees in non-subjects like Oriental Studies or Russian Literature. The people who get so worked up at university are the new generation of millennials who subscribe to the notion that they're entitled to free education and a six figure salary post-graduate for the simple fact that they're a human being. I understand that freedom of expression is becoming a rarity on many university campuses - especially for people like us who are politically conservative - but you shouldn't feel threatened by blue-haired feminists who want to silence the opposition using one of their four buzzwords: racist, bigot, homophobe or sexist.

I would also make the distinction between "liberal" and "leftist". A leftist is someone who is at the radical end of the political spectrum who abides to the notion of political correctness and the demise of freedom of thought and expression. A liberal, however, is someone who follow progressive principles but also believes in true liberal policies like right to offend and the right to bear arms. A good example of a liberal is Dave Rubin - you should Youtube him as his interviews are superb.
    Unfortunately classical liberalism (a respectable, agreeable position) has been overridden by the newer form of neo-liberalism, and many see 'liberal' and 'leftist' as interchangeable nowadays.

I always thought Rubin to be a libertarian though.

ReputationRep:
    The aggressive part is new. Traditionally, universities were liberal in the sense of encouraging critical thinking, new ideas, and questioning social norms. As opposed to institutions such as, say, the church which defended the status quo.

Part of the problem is that the status quo is now what was once considered liberal. So now you have all these people with careers built on activism and degrees in liberal arts subjects that end up only being useful inside academia and certain left-wing movements. If they just accept that the objective has been achieved or start trying to maintain the status quo without pushing for anything new, their worldview will be shattered and their skills will be useless.

So what would you do, if you were in that situation? Stop being an advocate, be satisfied? People drawn towards such things don't think that way. Instead, they keep looking for things to fight, and become more aggressive about watching the news constantly and pointing out any single anecdote that even kind of looks like the abuses of the past. They're stuck looking at the world through an ossified lens and reject the notion that anything has changed. In other words, they've eventually become what they hated.

"In order to punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself." -- Albert Einstein

It's actually not the teachers that are the worst offenders most of the time. Youthful passion combined with it being taken for granted from birth that everyone in the past or older than them was morally wrong gives them a kind of conviction. This leads to them becoming cruel and arrogant about pushing their viewpoint, and they often project these qualities onto others who disagree with them and fail to acknowledge it in themselves.

Read this, for instance: http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/...ofessor-afraid

ReputationRep:
    My uni isn't aggressively liberal, but what I notice is that people tend to think that you're left wing "by default". Like you have to be a remain supporter, because... everyone votes remain, right? It really aggravates me, cause people don't think on their decision, just vote sth cause it seems progressive.

And don't get me wrong, I'm actually for staying in the EU, but before claiming to be so, I did my reading and went through the arguments of both sides (as a side note: few things were harder than finding the remain camp arguments, most is just bs like "EU is a great family, we can't turn our backs on them"). Like I'm actually interested why some people want to leave so badly, instead of dismissing them "cause they're racist".

ReputationRep:
    Because university itself is concerned with science and progression. Which by it's very nature is liberal. You'd struggle to find an academic with strong, right-wing views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blank_Planet)
    My uni isn't aggressively liberal, but what I notice is that people tend to think that you're left wing "by default". Like you have to be a remain supporter, because... everyone votes remain, right? It really aggravates me, cause people don't think on their decision, just vote sth cause it seems progressive.

And don't get me wrong, I'm actually for staying in the EU, but before claiming to be so, I did my reading and went through the arguments of both sides (as a side note: few things were harder than finding the remain camp arguments, most is just bs like "EU is a great family, we can't turn our backs on them"). Like I'm actually interested why some people want to leave so badly, instead of dismissing them "cause they're racist".
    I started off as remain as well but the more I read the more reasons I found that ultimately Britain's future is outside, and I called it correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Discrimination ideology or patriotism, the left have completely high jacked schools and universities, you scream racsist at anyone who’s got a different opinion to you, theirs protesters in London protesting about trump, what’s happening is that the left or liberals ain’t liberals anymore, their fascists, we live in a democracy, were people are entitled to their political opinions, the so called liberals are trying to change that’, this is dangerous, whites in Europe will be a minority in 50 years, are indigenous homeland whites make up %4 of the worlds population, yet if you don’t agreee with mass immagration or multiculturalism your called a rascist, that’s the thinking of the modern day left

ReputationRep:
    I did four years in Uni to get a Masters' and am now returning to do a Phd.

Left wingers are the least compassionate people. They consider compassion not a personal attribute but rather a governmental one. Having abdicated responsibility for compassion, delegating it instead to beaurocats, they need not exhibit compassion in their personal interactions. They can be as intolerant as they please to other students.

Conservatives donate a higher percentage of their wealth to charity, volunteer more for charitable causes and are more likely to succeed in the workplace. I felt depressed (and still occasionally feel insecure about it now) by the immediate loathing of right wingers in my former Uni days. When my daughter grows up I'll make sure she knows what she's in for. Even strangers who hear that you're right wing or middle class will be unkind and stigmatise you before any other interaction has taken place.

My family came to the UK as asylum seekers and worked their way up to being middle class, abandoning most of what they knew back home to fit in and progress.

It must be exhausting for British left wingers to carry around the baggage of hate but as they only associate with each other they only hear their own ideas. They are losers and bigots by their own making. In Uni they thrive because they're reasonably intelligent, young and think they've got the world ahead of them and at eighteen they have. When they actually leave Uni and act on their defeatist, 'f**k the rich' mentality they don't go far. Or rather they have tattoos, babies out of wedlock and expect the government to give them life on a plate and compensate them for poor decisions.

Remember who it was that got aggressively left wing with you and check up on them in ten years time when you're twenty-eight. Really do it. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anna Nicole)
    I did four years in Uni to get a Masters' and am now returning to do a Phd.

Left wingers are the least compassionate people. They consider compassion not a personal attribute but rather a governmental one. Having abdicated responsibility for compassion, delegating it instead to beaurocats, they need not exhibit compassion in their personal interactions. They can be as intolerant as they please to other students.

Conservatives donate a higher percentage of their wealth to charity, volunteer more for charitable causes and are more likely to succeed in the workplace. I felt depressed (and still occasionally feel insecure about it now) by the immediate loathing of right wingers in my former Uni days. When my daughter grows up I'll make sure she knows what she's in for. Even strangers who hear that you're right wing or middle class will be unkind and stigmatise you before any other interaction has taken place.

My family came to the UK as asylum seekers and worked their way up to being middle class, abandoning most of what they knew back home to fit in and progress.

It must be exhausting for British left wingers to carry around the baggage of hate but as they only associate with each other they only hear their own ideas. They are losers and bigots by their own making. In Uni they thrive because they're reasonably intelligent, young and think they've got the world ahead of them and at eighteen they have. When they actually leave Uni and act on their defeatist, 'f**k the rich' mentality they don't go far. Or rather they have tattoos, babies out of wedlock and expect the government to give them life on a plate and compensate them for poor decisions.

Remember who it was that got aggressively left wing with you and check up on them in ten years time when you're twenty-eight. Really do it. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Those naughty lefties with their tattoos and “Babies out of wedlock” :rofl:

Are you sure you’re 28 because my nan is in her 90s and she said the word wedlock was fuddy duddy in the 40s!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.