Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S18 - Statement of Intent from the Secretary of State for Health Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I welcome the focus on mental health. The statement about 7 day GP access is meaningless without a programme to recruit more GPs and to actively seek to reduce the number leaving the profession. A lot would be achieved by keeping walk-in clinics instead of closing them and having one or two days per week with earlier or later surgery hours.
    As mentioned above this figure was actually taken from a Royal College of GPs report and dud take into account the shortfalls of GPs in its calculations.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I do not think that the Government should be promoting or supporting euthanasia. The House has not voted on the matter which in my opinion is a matter of individual members' conscience and should be a free vote.
    I disagree. It was a policy of my party and it is a policy of this Government just like we have other policies. Does the House have to vote on all of our policies before we can even suggest them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I disagree. It was a policy of my party and it is a policy of this Government just like we have other policies. Does the House have to vote on all of our policies before we can even suggest them?
    I think on matters of conscience a bill should be proposed by individual MPs, or maybe the party, not assume that the House is in favour. *This to me is following convention of the House.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I am surprised the Conservatives have allowed this to pass, quick Statement of Intents are being put before quality items by the government. I shall go through each point, pledging £500m to reduce waiting times is throwing money at a problem but not saying how the problem will be solved, this Statement of Intent needs to state what measures will be implemented to reduce waiting times.

Investing £30m to combat causing issues of mental health is a start but when the Department of Health spend £60m on adverts to encourage individuals not to smoke, £30m called for in this Statement of Intent is not enough to make an impact. And training GPs is insulting, GPs train for 10 years, introducing mental health training on a course to train GPs is wasteful because the knowledge needed would require training to the same level as experts in the field, and GPs are trained in mental health in the current system: the government has not stated what GPs will be trained in.

Investing £2.4bn to improve services is token politics, there is no information what services will be improved, nor what policies will be used to improve access for patients to the services. When reports have show there has been a real terms fall of £8.5bn since 2013 in GP funding, investing £2.4bn is not going to create a perfect NHS where GPs open every day of the week with waiting times less than a day. The trend of throwing large sums of money at things but not explaining how the money will be used continues in the plans to give £2bn to front-line NHS services: members need to be told how the funding will be spent.

I am surprised Jammy Duel allowed this to pass, there is no costing, I have added up the costs in this report to see the government wants to spend an extra £4.94bn on the NHS, however, none of that extra spending has been justified. But the report is written by a Liberal MP, a lack of detail is expected, members of the Liberal Party are not known for competence, commitment, detail, and doing things.
    Funnily enough I do not have the authority to prevent it, last I checked I was not party leader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapping)
    Oh man.

Life_peer is giving out reality checks left, right & centre.

Personally, if I was Kay_Winters I wouldn't accept that.
    LP can say what he wishes, he knows my reasoning for posting, it's not different to what others have posted before, and I find it rather telling of him that he thinks it matters to me if I am on the first page or not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I do not think that the Government should be promoting or supporting euthanasia. The House has not voted on the matter which in my opinion is a matter of individual members' conscience and should be a free vote.
    And it is one of the things that will require primary legislation, therefore a bill, if it is to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I think on matters of conscience a bill should be proposed by individual MPs, or maybe the party, not assume that the House is in favour. *This to me is following convention of the House.
    This:

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And it is one of the things that will require primary legislation, therefore a bill, if it is to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    No... It seems very vanilla.
    Ok... I'm really really confused now. Not sure whether you're just trying to say inoffensive.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Funnily enough I do not have the authority to prevent it, last I checked I was not party leader.
    I thought your debating skills to be strong enough to rally all Conservative MPs to stop this incomplete, Liberal abomination after calling a vote on the SoI.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I applaud the effort that went into this statement of intent from my Liberal colleague.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MattElves)
    quote quote.
    I have to say, I am impressed by this statement. As TDA points out though, the bit about euthanasia requires some legislation.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I have to say, I am impressed by this statement. As TDA points out though, the bit about euthanasia requires some legislation.
    And as we've already pointed out....we know There's nothing wrong with us saying we're doing something about it though
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I thought your debating skills to be strong enough to rally all Conservative MPs to stop this incomplete, Liberal abomination after calling a vote on the SoI.
    There's this thing called a coalition agreement - you know, those things that both parties have to stick to which list the policies we've agreed on. Yeah, it's in that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There's this thing called a coalition agreement - you know, those things that both parties have to stick to which list the policies we've agreed on. Yeah, it's in that.
    That would be great but this Statement of Intent does not contain detailed policy, the government must not have an agreed policy for healthcare.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    That would be great but this Statement of Intent does not contain detailed policy, the government must not have an agreed policy for healthcare.
    We quite clearly do, as outlined by the several different policies in the Statement of Intent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We quite clearly do, as outlined by the several different policies in the Statement of Intent.
    This Statement of Intent does not have policy in, this Statement of Intent publishes aims with a sum of money attached to the aims, a policy would be to explain in detail how the funding will be spent to reach the aim.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Ok... I'm really really confused now. Not sure whether you're just trying to say inoffensive.
    Yes, what else would I be saying?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And as we've already pointed out....we know There's nothing wrong with us saying we're doing something about it though
    Alright. There's no need to be arrogant now.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes, what else would I be saying?
    I don't know... because it was just so far from the actual word inoffensive, change another letter and god knows if I'd have known what you meant.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Alright. There's no need to be arrogant now.
    Sorry if it came across that way

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.