Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Keep them coming if possible.

ReputationRep:
    So how much do you charge for a punting trip Matthew?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know which college the Cakes and Ale story is supposed to have happened in?

Thing is, as far as possible, I want to keep the stories about colleges you see on the Backs.. Queens', King's, Clare, Trinity Hall, Trinity, St. John's, Magdalene, and any of the bridges obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    So how much do you charge for a punting trip Matthew?
    Depends how nice I'm feeling. In all honesty, I was actually always a cashier at the punting company I work for, but am going to start chauffering soon instead. I can't be bothered with the actual constant work of cashiering/punting boats around into various positions of boathanding.

ReputationRep:
    How nice eh? Well you'll remember your favourite little story-listener won't ya? {tries to look adorable}.

Sounds like a fun job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Anyone know which college the Cakes and Ale story is supposed to have happened in?

Thing is, as far as possible, I want to keep the stories about colleges you see on the Backs.. Queens', King's, Clare, Trinity Hall, Trinity, St. John's, Magdalene, and any of the bridges obviously.

There seem to be a heck of a lot of variations on it. Probably Trinity or Johns though I would guess. Or maybe Kings. Sounds like the mad kinda thing that would happen in Stalingr.....I mean Kings :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How nice eh? Well you'll remember your favourite little story-listener won't ya? {tries to look adorable}.

Sounds like a fun job
    It is quite reasonable in all honesty. Will you be one of the many (screaming) girls on the Quayside staring adoringly at us chauffers?

ReputationRep:
    Errrr......in all honesty.....probably not

(I'll be one of the lunatics in pirate costume trying to board your punt while swigging rum )

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to identify yourself.. that happens a lot.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: ......DARN! Well I'll come up with something I'm sure :cool: After all, I am Captain Jack Sparrow :cool: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I heard a slightly different version of the Clare bridge story. The man was not paid only 15p, but was paid 15p short of what he should have got. So he came along and took away 15p worth of stone

Will let you know other stories if I tihnk of any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I heard a slightly different version of the Clare bridge story. The man was not paid only 15p, but was paid 15p short of what he should have got. So he came along and took away 15p worth of stone

Will let you know other stories if I tihnk of any.
    Is what they were talking about not a bit big for 15p worth?

Hehe next time I'm in Cam I must take a trip with you

Magdalene male pigs! To think I actually considered applying there.

Didn't students once manage to get a car onto the roof of some college without anybody noticing?
    It was the caius library - one next to the senate house. Some engineering students put a mini up there without anyone noticing the night before their graduation ceremony

Theres the old story about trinity and johns bell towers (they raced to build them, the prize being the bells)

Queens mathematics bridge being designed so it would stay up without and bolts etc

J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Is what they were talking about not a bit big for 15p worth?
    Not back in the days when it was built.

(Original post by foolfarian)
    It was the caius library - one next to the senate house. Some engineering students put a mini up there without anyone noticing the night before their graduation ceremony

Theres the old story about trinity and johns bell towers (they raced to build them, the prize being the bells)

Queens mathematics bridge being designed so it would stay up without and bolts etc

J
    O and one for the Americans (being uncultured) the Johns bridge (bridge of sighs) is styled after its namesake in venice (or vienna...think its venice) and is so called because people would cross it to be executed
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Not back in the days when it was built.
    "Four schillings worth of pebbles please" Mmmmm.... point taken.

ReputationRep:
    O and one for the Americans (being uncultured) the Johns bridge (bridge of sighs) is styled after its namesake in venice (or vienna...think its venice) and is so called because people would cross it to be executed
    J
    Or to go to prison to wait to be executed.

ReputationRep:
    J
    Oh yeah, and on that theme you can always tell them about bridge-hopping - jumping up from punt to bridge, climbing up and over bridge, then down and drop back into the punt on the other side. There is one down past the rollers that is the easiest; Bridge of Sighs is reputedly nigh-on impossible.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can tell, you should make it up. This is good for two reasons:
    1) when you're punting for tourists, they won't know what's true and what's false, it just has to be outrageous and entertaining
    2) when you're punting locals, they'll have heard all the standard stories. So they want something entertaining.
    I know a few people who've done it in the past and they all agree on this.

Are you with Scudies?

ReputationRep:
    here are some kings ones ive heard, along with some *******s ones which ive heard punters tell awed tourists to our utter amusement:

1. there were two colleges on the site of kings, which were both flattened to make way for it: TRUE

2. kings bridge is the last place one can legally duel in England - you need permission from the Provost and you must be a (first-class) Scholar: TRUE

3. the rooms in bodleys court (the one next to queens) are modelled on eton rooms so students would be familiar with the layout when kings was eton-only intake: *******S (according to a current etonian kings student)

4. kings chapel was built and the king demanded that it was demolished and built again two inches to the right, which it was: *******S (although ive heard it from more than one tour guide)

5. someone put a traffic cone on one of the chapel's spiky high bits, it took four days to erect the scaffolding to bring it down, the day before they reached the top, the traffic cone was removed and a note left by the Cambridge University Climbing Club claiming responsibility: TRUE (there are current PhD students who were undergrads when it happened)

6. the original kings bridge was half way between the current clare and kings bridges, it was moved because it spoilt the view over the backs: TRUE

7. all kings students are etonians/commies/******s: FALSE

8. two plotting students dressed up as a porter and a tourist respectively, they staged a stunt in the height of the summer season where the 'tourist' ran across the back lawn, and the 'porter' took out a gun and shop him (fake blood n all): TRUE (also within living memory, but not sure if they were sent down or not)

im bored now.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.