Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alima khan)
    Yep! I left Islam but haven't told my parents nor do I ever plan on telling them. My family is quite religious so in order to keep the peace, I live a double life.
    It's great that everything's settled with your family! Hope everything goes well for you in the future.
    Even if my parents were religious, I would still come out. I prefer the hedonistic approach. I used to suffer from anxiety, and ever since I stopped caring about this ****, the anxiety subsided.

That's why I'm so open to everyone about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exmuslim105)
    It did give me a sense of false hope, until I denied being in denial that I don't believe in this anymore, and that I need to explore further. I was simply being a Muslim and practicing because my parents are from that geographical reigon. My family is from India. There are a lot of both Hindus and Muslims. If I was from a HIndu family, I would be following that, and the concept didn't make sense.

I am still exploring my purpose and as I said I am very attracted to Buddhist and Sikh philosophy.
    Best of luck in your endeavours. Have fun exploring!

ReputationRep:
    You can find out more about the life of Jesus Christ if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    So I came to a long and rational decision that Islam is not for me. I came out to my family a few months back and everything is settling down now. Though it was big news and a lot of people were calling me.

Anyone else in the same position?
    Start living a proper life according to western values. Thats the best thing a member of the human race can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    You can find out more about the life of Jesus Christ if you ask me.
    No thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    Start living a proper life according to western values. Thats the best thing a member of the human race can do.
    As I was already doing. I rejected the aspects of Islam that went against western values even when I was Muslim. I was just in denial that I didn't believe in the religion.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations. I'd doff my hat to you, sir, for having the bravery.

ReputationRep:
    No thanks
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    Even if my parents were religious, I would still come out. I prefer the hedonistic approach. I used to suffer from anxiety, and ever since I stopped caring about this ****, the anxiety subsided.

That's why I'm so open to everyone about it.
    Coming out as an Ex Muslim would hurt too many people close to me so it's not something that I plan to do yet.
    I'm moving out from my parents house soon, I wouldn't need to worry about what members of my family or the wider extremely backwards Muslim community think. It's therefore not really necessary for me to upset anyone.
    But I do get your point.

ReputationRep:
    As I was already doing. I rejected the aspects of Islam that went against western values even when I was Muslim. I was just in denial that I didn't believe in the religion.
    Theres not much you can do then. Live a long moral life and dont worry too much about religious fairytales.

ReputationRep:
    eat bacon...unless you're vegetarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah3210)
    eat bacon...unless you're vegetarian
    Yep, I'm vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm vegetarian.
    are you going to try alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    Coming out as an Ex Muslim would hurt too many people close to me so it's not something that I plan to do yet.
    I'm moving out from my parents house soon, I wouldn't need to worry about what members of my family or the wider extremely backwards Muslim community think. It's therefore not really necessary for me to upset anyone.
    But I do get your point.
    Ah I see. Yes, it's best not to come out if you're living in the same house.
    Possibly once you move out, it would be best.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, which town is it that you live? And what ethnicity are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah3210)
    are you going to try alcohol?
    Started that a while back. Used to binge a lot during my first year. I still drink it and love drinking it, though in moderation now.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see. Yes, it's best not to come out if you're living in the same house.
    Possibly once you move out, it would be best.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, which town is it that you live? And what ethnicity are you?
    I currently live in the North West & hope to move to Liverpool for uni. I'm Bengali born & raised in the UK though. You?

ReputationRep:
    I currently live in Manchester but hope to move to Liverpool for uni. I'm Bengali born & raised in the UK though. You?
    I'm from Liverpool and am going to Leeds for postgraduate uni. I know Liverpool uni quite well. It's a really good uni, the Sydney Jones library is great for studying. Great students guild, great nightlife. You'll love it. Good luck for getting in.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Liverpool and am going to Leeds for postgraduate uni. I know Liverpool uni quite well. It's a really good uni, the Sydney Jones library is great for studying. Great students guild, great nightlife. You'll love it. Good luck for getting in.
    That's cool! The city seemed great when I visited & so did the uni in general. You're a bit biased coming from Liverpool 😜
    Thanks, good luck with your postgraduate degree.

ReputationRep:
    Theres nothing next. You just continue to do whatever you feel like doing, as you would when you were a Muslim. Minus all the praying. Thought that was obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Live your life the way you want to. Most importantly, be grateful. There's tons of people out there whose parents would never in a million years accept their child's decision to leave the religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.