An idea to make our roads safer? Watch

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Late to the party, but hell no!!! Just think of the driving industry. That would be down the pan probably immediately.

And to anyone that agrees with this idea, don't kid yourself into thinking you're a perfect driver. You should probably take yourself off to the test centre now and get retested because everyone makes mistakes when they drive, albeit small ones.

The police would never be able to enforce this. Crimes which actually need to go to court, and to be investigated would be overlooked. And do I want the police taking idiot drunk drivers off the road, or someone that doesn't turn in the road well...

Moving on from that, perhaps agree to retest every 10-15 years, with leeway to account for test waiting times as the waiting times would no doubt increase as that's still a hell of a lot of people taking tests.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There are lots of things you'd get failed for during a driving test are mostly to do with poor observation during maneouvres and failing to signal. Whereas, the statistics for the most common causes of road accidents are poor observation at junctions and when switching lanes or merging. So, I don't think forcing people to check their mirrors over and over whilst they're reversing is going to do anything other than help them avoid minor fender-benders. Also, losing your license for things you'd fail on like not driving fuel-efficiently, driving a few mph over the speed limit, leaving a roundabout in the right lane or driving over the middle of a mini-roundabout is just ludicrous, statistically none of these things are listed as even being close to common causes of motoring accidents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackhaugh)
    Well there are a lot of things that you can fail your test for that would be very unfair to take your license off you. I'm sure we've all misjudged a gap once and pulled out when we maybe shouldn't have, or not done a test standard turn-in-the-road etc.

Plus the government wouldn't make many laws that would damage the economy. If loads of people had lost their ability to drive then the economy would probably take a hit.
    I agree.
    Plus the fact that the waiting times for tests would go through the roof.
    Plus how would you police it?

A better idea would be to re-take your test every 10 years or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    There are lots of things you'd get failed for during a driving test are mostly to do with poor observation during maneouvres and failing to signal. Whereas, the statistics for the most common causes of road accidents are poor observation at junctions and when switching lanes or merging. So, I don't think forcing people to check their mirrors over and over whilst they're reversing is going to do anything other than help them avoid minor fender-benders. Also, losing your license for things you'd fail on like not driving fuel-efficiently, driving a few mph over the speed limit, leaving a roundabout in the right lane or driving over the middle of a mini-roundabout is just ludicrous, statistically none of these things are listed as even being close to common causes of motoring accidents.
    I don't think tests should be made easier, but forced retesting when someone hasn't broken the law or caused an accident is absurd, complete waste of money, waste of time, if it came to that I would think screw driving and use public transport.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.