Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alEbJOAoAKg

This video might be of interest to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kftjkp)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alEbJOAoAKg

This video might be of interest to the OP.
    thank you! that is so true as well :mad: - i went out with some friends last night and my being 'skinny' came up 3 or 4 times and one of them kept saying i make her feel fat. it's not like i can help it!

ReputationRep:
    i'm panicking myself, my bmi's something like 16.3 and they made a new rule for models banning em if they're less than 18.5

ReputationRep:
    whats ur height?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stH-L...elated&search=
    nuff said.
    eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chezua)
    i'm panicking myself, my bmi's something like 16.3 and they made a new rule for models banning em if they're less than 18.5
    My bmi is only 17, so I could be a model. In all serious though, I hate my weight I'm about 5 foot 8 and 9 stone. I think I have a problem I find it really hard to gain weight, but I can lose weight really easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butterfly_boo)
    im 5'5 and i weigh 97-98 pounds
    Hmm, that is really light, but I'm not too far off that. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 104 lbs. I have a bmi of 18.57 which scrapes the healthy boundary...just (18.5). You probably have a really small bone structure, I know mine is pretty small. If you can put your fingers round your wrist easily, with a little room to spare then you'll know.
    Try putting on a little more weight if you can, I know it can be difficult as I eat whatever I wish and do next to no exercise and yet have a fast metabolism. However, being "thin" (according to the bmi, i actually have loads of belly fat) doesn;t mean you're fit, as i unfortunately found out lol... So anyway, I'm working on the exercise. :p:
    Good luck to you too, (if you want to put on weight, that is, you didnt actually specify lol)

ReputationRep:
    My BMI is 16.5, i've had tests done and for my bodies metabolism it is completely healthy. My GP hates the BMI index and always rants about it if patients ask about it, it's not even an accurate scale. For instance someone who is short but lifts weights a lot may be according the scale overweight or even obese.

Every ones a unique individual and there is no one size fits all, the same goes for calorie counting e.g. 2000 or 2500 a day. It's all nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1sun)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stH-L...elated&search=
    nuff said.
    eat.
    If you had read what the OP said you would realise that this is not a case of her not eating - rather being unable to put on weight. So shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kftjkp)
    If you had read what the OP said you would realise that this is not a case of her not eating - rather being unable to put on weight. So shut up.
    when someone has a bmi of 16, theres no way they can be healthy, 18, yeah, 17, pushing it, 16, no. no need is get so ****ing rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1sun)
    when someone has a bmi of 16, theres no way they can be healthy, 18, yeah, 17, pushing it, 16, no. no need is get so ****ing rude.
    So you are somehow more qualified than my GP? People can have a BMI of 16 and be healthy.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a BMI of ~17.2, and I eat 3 good sized meals a day, with snacking, and not a particularly large amount of exercise. Food must just pass through without much absorption, I guess. High metabolism or somesuch. So it's not entirely accurate, but it's only a rough guide. It's not supposed to be a definitive piece of information defining whether or not you are healthy or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niaya)
    id go and see a doctor - if it goes under 16 some doctors would consider hospitalising you
    No-one has enough hospital beds to waste unless investigations have proved that there is something really wrong with you. People only start considering hospitalisation as a realistic option at 13/14. Even then, you'd probably only be hospitalised at 12/13. I didn't get hospitalised until my bmi was 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1sun)
    im under 16, but healtheir and fitter than most, i think your just justifying your bmi of 30....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingoftheNazgul)
    No-one has enough hospital beds to waste unless investigations have proved that there is something really wrong with you. People only start considering hospitalisation as a realistic option at 13/14. Even then, you'd probably only be hospitalised at 12/13. I didn't get hospitalised until my bmi was 9.
    9??? How tall were you and what did you weigh?

ReputationRep:
    bmi of 30??? i ****ing wish i had that, im like 20 or something, im just oging by own perosnal experience, ive been there, done that and i was in the worst physical state of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingoftheNazgul)
    9?? to have bmi of 9 i would have to weigh 54 pounds - thats under 4 stone

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was 162cm and weighed 26kg, I think it was. Not good. I've now got a healthy bmi of nineTEEN thank goodness!

ReputationRep:
    It's OK, within reason of course, to have a low BMI, particularly if you're naturally small-boned. However, if there are certain psychological factors involved, you have a distorted body image, and you're restricting your diet, exercising excessively, abusing laxatives and diuretics or making yourself sick in order to achieve a very low weight, then it is unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a low bmi too, 15.2. I don't think I look underweight though. And no one mentions that I look too thin. So bmi sucks.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.