Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Errdogan on the brink of bringing back capital punishment, opinions? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It wasnt a realistic prospect before just people liked to pretend it was.
    Despite popular scaremongering, the Commission always said that Turkey is so far away from fulfilling the requirements to join the EU that the topic is not even worth being discussed right now. So no it was never really a realistic prospect. Dacre and Murdoch love to make it look like it was to hurt the image of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Terror state

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Do you want me to start listing all the people who have commited treason for the greater good? If you support the Arab spring for instance, every single one who took part is a traitor. America was founded by traitors to the crown. the French republic, The USSR and subsequently the Russian Federtion, numerous former colonies. Wish me to continue?

Butthurt, what are you five? People are angry because the prisoners, half of whom almost certainly did nothing but werecaught in the blanket purge, and they are being raped, tortured, murdered. Things that simply do not happen in a civilised modern country.
    Did you just compare Turkey to the UK? :lol: ridiculous comparisonas A] We have a well founded democracy B] The PM is not on the high wayto being a dictator C] We arent barbarians unlike that nasty little man.

Oh and food for thought if you have to rise up against the ruler for the good of the country is it still bad?
    Your point is just subjectivism which doesn't lead anywhere - my main point is not that those causes which people commit treason for are always bad, rather it is: what else do you expect? Irregardless of me viewing Erdoğan favourably and you viewing unfavourably does not detract from the fact that those who commit treason get treated harshly.

Can you actually verify how many have been raped, tortured and murdered? I am not saying that it hasn't happened, but I would like some figures please.

"We aren't babarians" - LOL, the UK has been complicit in sending its civilians to Guamtanamo.

Another question related to subjectivity which was not the aim of my post... If I was to answer the question that you should be asking, then the answer is that I would expect to be dealt with harshly if I was convicted of treason.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    Your point is just subjectivism which doesn't lead anywhere - my main point is not that those causes which people commit treason for are always bad, rather it is: what else do you expect? Irregardless of me viewing Erdoğan favourably and you viewing unfavourably does not detract from the fact that those who commit treason get treated harshly.
    First my inner grammar Nazi is coming out; 'irregardless' -.-
    I am not saying they shouldn't be punished; they took a gamble and lost therefor are going to be punished however since Turkey claims to be a western nation and wishes to join the european community acting like savages is not to be tolerated now is it? I'm struggling to think of any civilizednation [including those who partakeis capital punishment] whowould allow such inhumane treatment and the goverment implicitly condoning it.
    Can you actually verify how many have been raped, tortured and murdered? I am not saying that it hasn't happened, but I would like some figures please.
    Not being in Turkey and not being privy to the concentration centres I of course cannot give any acurate figures however here are some reports:

John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International’s Europe director, said:

Reports of abuse including beatings and rape in detention are extremely alarming, especially given the scale of detentions that we have seen in the past week.

Despite chilling images and videos of torture that have been widely broadcast across the country, the government has remained conspicuously silent on the abuse.

An interviewee claimed that a police doctor said: “Let him die. We will say he came to us dead.
    The same interviewee added that there were 300 detainees at Ankara Police Station with clear signs of abuse and beatings such as cuts, bruises, and broken bones.
    "We aren't babarians" - LOL, the UK has been complicit in sending its civilians to Guamtanamo.
    Are you honestly comparing the detention of terror suspects through lrgal channels to the state backed abuse of prisoners which arguably could well be a breach of the Geneva convention asone can argue said coup made the actors enemy combatents and thus are protected from inhame and degrading treatment which to be frank would be an improvement from what's happening at the minute..
    Convention (III) relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War. Geneva, 12 August 1949.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Art 4. A. Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following categories, who have fallen into the power of the enemy:
    (1) Members of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict, as well as members of militias or volunteer corps forming part of such armed forces.

(2) Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:
    (a) that of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;
    (b) that of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;
    (c) that of carrying arms openly;
    (d) that of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

(3) Members of regular armed forces who profess allegiance to a government or an authority not recognized by the Detaining Power.

C. This Article shall in no way affect the status of medical personnel and chaplains as provided for in Article 33 of the present Convention.

Art 5. The present Convention shall apply to the persons referred to in Article 4 from the time they fall into the power of the enemy and until their final release and repatriation.

Should any doubt arise as to whether persons, having committed a belligerent act and having fallen into the hands of the enemy, belong to any of the categories enumerated in Article 4, such persons shall enjoy the protection of the present Convention until such time as their status has been determined by a competent tribunal.

Art 13. Prisoners of war must at all times be humanely treated. Any unlawful act or omission by the Detaining Power causing death or seriously endangering the health of a prisoner of war in its custody is prohibited, and will be regarded as a serious breach of the present Convention. In particular, no prisoner of war may be subjected to physical mutilation or to medical or scientific experiments of any kind which are not justified by the medical, dental or hospital treatment of the prisoner concerned and carried out in his interest.

Likewise, prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity.

Measures of reprisal against prisoners of war are prohibited.

Art 14. Prisoners of war are entitled in all circumstances to respect for their persons and their honour.

Women shall be treated with all the regard due to their sex and shall in all cases benefit by treatment as favourable as that granted to men.

Prisoners of war shall retain the full civil capacity which they enjoyed at the time of their capture. The Detaining Power may not restrict the exercise, either within or without its own territory, of the rights such capacity confers except in so far as the captivity requires.

Art 15. The Power detaining prisoners of war shall be bound to provide free of charge for their maintenance and for the medical attention required by their state of health.

Art 16. Taking into consideration the provisions of the present Convention relating to rank and sex, and subject to any privileged treatment which may be accorded to them by reason of their state of health, age or professional qualifications, all prisoners of war shall be treated alike by the Detaining Power, without any adverse distinction based on race, nationality, religious belief or political opinions, or any other distinction founded on similar criteria.

No physical or mental torture, nor any other form of coercion, may be inflicted on prisoners of war to secure from them information of any kind whatever. Prisoners of war who refuse to answer may not be threatened, insulted, or exposed to unpleasant or disadvantageous treatment of any kind.
    and so on so forth here is a link to the full applicable document
    https://www.icrc.org/applic/ihl/ihl....8?openDocument
    Another question related to subjectivity which was not the aim of my post... If I was to answer the question that you should be asking, then the answer is that I would expect to be dealt with harshly if I was convicted of treason.
    you'd expect your human rights to be stripped, to be possibly executed even if you probably didn't do anything, to be raped, hog tied etc. and indeed some have alrready been executed with the state not doing a thing? There's a difference between being held accountable for your crimes and being used as a political tool and abused.

ReputationRep:
    I hate erdogan, but I am pro death penalty.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.