Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was Merkels refugee policy a mistake? Watch

• View Poll Results: Has your opinion on Merkels migrant crisis policy changed?
    No, i was opposed to Merkels policy at the time and still am
    76.09%
    Yes, i supported it at the time but not now
    10.87%
    No, i supported it at the time and still do
    13.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I think it was the right thing to do. I think we should accept more refugees. We have a hand in what's happened and happening in the middle east. If we don't step up to our humanitarian duty then we shouldn't interfere in other countries. I still praise Merkel for her generosity.
    1. Are you going to personally pay for all of the migrants?

2. How many incidents of rape, sexual assault, murder, acts of terrorism etc. would you be willing to accept in order to save your unquantified number of migrants? Don't say none, as has been shown in Germany and elsewhere, if you bring these people in, a % of them will engage in the stated acts.

ReputationRep:
    German economists (Source: ifo's Werner Sinn) state that most refugees/migrants will struggle to integrate into German labour market as skilled workforce as most don't have suitable qualification to work in manufacturing or service. German apprentices undergo a 3 year dual training of practice and class room to become qualified in their trades. This contradicts migration liberals' arguments of migrants and their benefits with qualification in engineering, medicine and sciences. Even for simple service jobs, most refugees lack language skills. Eastern Europeans are more suitable to do these jobs, see Polish hotel staff in Berlin. Most will be on benefits at Jobcenter and become a burden to German social system for years to come.

(Original post by ODES_PDES)
    In my opinion, ABSOLUTELY and now we are flooded with economic migrants, who are practically unskilled

ReputationRep:
    It was a bad idea, obviously.

(Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I think it was the right thing to do. I think we should accept more refugees. We have a hand in what's happened and happening in the middle east. If we don't step up to our humanitarian duty then we shouldn't interfere in other countries. I still praise Merkel for her generosity.
    Accept more sexual predators and potential terrorists? No thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.