Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was this a silly reason for failing my driving test? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    My Reply ^^^^. Click "see more". You are misunderstood mate.
    Your original post said you 'did not hit over 30mph', which if you are in a 40mph zone is too slow.

ReputationRep:
    If you had more than three minors in the same category then yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WishfulThinker1)
    I failed for my 'steering' and 'signalling' - I don't really understand how I could fail solely based on them things.. I've been driving for 4 years (on and off), never had an accident, and very careful - I could tell my instructor hated life and I've been told that they can only put through a certain amount a month, is it possible I was just unlucky?

I hate how they can simply fail someone just if they're having a bad day!
    Mate my first driving test failed because I forgot to look twice when turning at a junction and had 5 minor faults.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliemogs)
    Your original post said you 'did not hit over 30mph', which if you are in a 40mph zone is too slow.
    Listen. I did not say I did 30 in a 40 mph zone.

I was saying that I did not hit over 30 mph in a 30 mph zone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My Reply ^^^^. Click "see more". You are misunderstood mate.
    Replying within the quote makes it super difficult to reply to specific parts so hopefully this makes sense.

You are misunderstood again. I did not say I drove 30mph in a 40 mph zone. I drove mostly 40mph but sometimes 35 mph which is still acceptable in a 40 mph zone.
    Your original post said you never drove above 30 and when asked if you were in areas above a 30 limit you said yes. With that information it suggests you were driving at 30 even when there was a higher speed limit. 35 in a 40 is perfectly acceptable although if there isn't a good reason your instructor could give a minor.

You are again misunderstood! I drove 10-15mph on very tight quiet roads. (This is the road where there are loads of terraced houses and large amount of cars on each side). Driving over 15mph in these type of roads are very very dangerous. Children, toddlers could pop out between cars at anytime.
    Your starting to seem like a fool.
    Again this was never specified. Your original post said you were driving at 10/15 on quiet roads. Quiet roads does not mean a housing estate with cars on both sides. Quiet roads could mean anything (back and country roads, underused roads and so on). Quiet does not immediately equate to their being obstructions and potential kids running out. This should have been specified (especially since lots of other people came to the same conclusion as me).

It's also still not entirely reasonable to be driving at such slow speeds. 20 is fine on these roads. You'd have plenty of time to slow down and give way to traffic and an emergency stop at that speed is near instant. You should also be looking around for potential obstructions. From a distance you'll likely be able to see what's going on. I can understand your logic by going so slow but it's completely unnecessary unless it's so busy that you don't have enough to time to take it all in and react. And I don't see how it can be both busy and quiet with loads of cars. Obviously it depends on the road but there's not some rule that you should drive at 10mph when there's parked cars and potential kids.

Or to put it another way, you could be driving down a normal road with parked cars and someone could still step out. You'd be driving at a normal speed and would need to react fast. If you ultimately feel that you won't have enough time to react going faster than 10/15mph then that in itself is an issue.

You are again misunderstood and stupid. I did not say I travelled 10mph in a 60mph zone.
    I was travelling 25-30 in a 30 zone. I was travelling 35-40 in a 40mph zone. And I was travelling 10-15mph in a quiet terraced house road which is full of cars on each side where children can pop out at any time.
    Don't resort to insults, especially when you failed to specify details in your original posts which lead to my points.

You also completely misread what I wrote. I never said you were travelling 10 in a 60 zone. It was an example about how you should be observing speed limits and driving appropriately. If the speed limit says 30 then do 30 as long as it is safe to do so.

15 mph is NOT too slow on a road where there is a short gap in between and there are large amount of cars on each side where children can pop out at anytime.

Honestly it probably is. I regularly drive home via a route similar to what you describe. Standard road, 1 lane in each direction through lots of houses. Left hand lane (where I drive) is regularly full of parked cars. There's also turnings on both sides of the road. And there's potential (as always with parked cars) for someone or something to run out. Driving down here at anything less than 20 would earn me a minor on a test. I can clearly see both pavements and thus know if someone is going to walk out. Traffic regularly comes in both directions and since I don't have right of way for most of the road I'm often pulling in, stopping, letting some traffic go and pulling out again. There's absolutely nothing to justify driving around at 10mph. Not to mention if I did a huge queue of traffic would form behind me with nowhere to go and thus block the road the moment something came the other way.

Listen. I did not say I did 30 in a 40 mph zone.I was saying that I did not hit over 30 mph in a 30 mph zone.
    Sorry but that's just not true. Your original post, the one referenced in the post you replied to here does not mention anything about the zones. You just said you never drove above 30 and were mostly going at 25-30 or slower. That's why people have problems with it. Because you implied that you weren't following the speed limits.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.