Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016/17 Rugby (Union) Season Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Thoughts on the Owen Franks eye gouge? Unbelievable how he got away with it in both the game and after the game. Potentially over the top to say corruption at the top but it's just absurd how he hasn't been cited.

Australia and South Aftica really do look like they're there for the taking this Autum, hopefully the northern hemisphere can finally overcome the dominance of the South. New Zealand still head and shoulders above, however.

Also, how come England are playing Aus again and not New Zealand? I'd be quite disappointed if I was an England fan.
    He should have been cited, definitely. If the panel clears him, fair enough, but there should be consistency with any incidents.

Right now, New Zealand would be the only team I'd be worried about playing. Having watched all four countries in the Rugby Championship, I'd back us against Australia, SA or Argentina (providing we build on the performances of the Summer).
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by teenageriot89)
    He should have been cited, definitely. If the panel clears him, fair enough, but there should be consistency with any incidents.

Right now, New Zealand would be the only team I'd be worried about playing. Having watched all four countries in the Rugby Championship, I'd back us against Australia, SA or Argentina (providing we build on the performances of the Summer).
    He definitely should have had some kind of punishment for it. Even if they felt that he hadn't been gouging it was clear intentional contact with the face, and even worse that he went in for seconds after looking at the ref which is the clear indicator of intent.

There's so much focus from the IRB these days about concussion and foul play that it;s farcical that it was seemingly pushed aside - while it's not a stance I take, it doesn't really help the argument that the All Blacks are immune to the laws...

ReputationRep:
    Well what a first game to the season (Gloucester v Leicester) last night. For the first 50 minutes, I was almost weeping, thinking "this is going to be one tough season for the Tigers." Gloucester opt to kick for the corner rather than taking the 3 points, which would have certainly won them the game and Leicester end up scoring two tries and winning! As elated as I feel, I can't help but feel sorry for Gloucester, they were great for the first 50 mins.

ReputationRep:
    Only against Zebre but Ospreys looked really good last night. Early days, but think they could do well this year.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    London Welsh avoid liquidation http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37259590

(Original post by Rock Fan)
    London Welsh avoid liquidation http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37259590
    How have I not heard about this!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cracking opening weekend the Premiership! Had everything!

(Original post by matt1306)
    Cracking opening weekend the Premiership! Had everything!
    Certainly looks like..I missed the games..will get back on track How are you Matt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet _One86)
    Certainly looks like..I missed the games..will get back on track How are you Matt?
    Really good thanks, tired of A-levels and fed up of the school mucking my timetable up but yeah id say good. Yourself?

(Original post by matt1306)
    Really good thanks, tired of A-levels and fed up of the school mucking my timetable up but yeah id say good. Yourself?
    Not bad..school days long gone for me..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The worst kept secret in rugby is out of the bag then; Gatland named as Lions coach. I've seen a lot of criticsism about the appointment, and considering the success of the last tour I think is very harsh.

Only 4 men have all but guaranteed spots in the first test, in my opinion - Itoje, Faletau, North and Watson. Every other position up for grabs in one shape or form.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The worst kept secret in rugby is out of the bag then; Gatland named as Lions coach. I've seen a lot of criticsism about the appointment, and considering the success of the last tour I think is very harsh.

Only 4 men have all but guaranteed spots in the first test, in my opinion - Itoje, Faletau, North and Watson. Every other position up for grabs in one shape or form.
    Faletau? That's an interesting one, he's good, but so is Billy V.

Also not convinced that North and Watson are nailed on for the wing spots either. I'd be shocked to see both miss out, but surely there is a little bit more competition in those positions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Faletau? That's an interesting one, he's good, but so is Billy V.

Also not convinced that North and Watson are nailed on for the wing spots either. I'd be shocked to see both miss out, but surely there is a little bit more competition in those positions?
    I like Vunipola, probably isn't a better ball carrier in the NH, but for me Faletau is a cut above. One option is playing Faletau at 6 and then Vunipola at 8. I couldn't see Gatland dropping the Welshman, as well.

I know you've got the likes of Seymour, Nowell, Zebo and even Bowe but like you said I'd be shocked if it wasn't North and Watson.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Make of the decision what you will, but I thought the decision-making process and officials' communication for Worcester's red card were absolutely fantastic tonight, especially as Luke Pearce wasn't able to see the incident for himself.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm losing at home to Wasps hurts.....Mark 8th January in your diaries folks, it's gunna be a spectacle!

Make of the decision what you will, but I thought the decision-making process and officials' communication for Worcester's red card were absolutely fantastic tonight, especially as Luke Pearce wasn't able to see the incident for himself.
    I thought Luke Pearce put in one of the best referee performances I've ever seen. On that red card decision, I was stuck. I could see why it was a red card, I could see why it could have been a yellow card, I could see why it could have been only penalty. Addressed to the letter of the laws (how the TMO described it and rightly so) it was a red card. I would have liked to have seen to the phase "rugby incident" used again and for it to just be a penalty.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone looking forward to the autum internationals?

Surprised that the English teams have released Roberts and North, despite the fixture falling outside of the international rugby window.

Everyone looking forward to the autum internationals?

Surprised that the English teams have released Roberts and North, despite the fixture falling outside of the international rugby window.
    Most definitely - bring it on - let's TRY and win as many as we can..come on lads 🏉

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    18 year old Keelan Giles currently tearing it up for the Ospreys, he's got 8 tries in his last 4 games. Looks some prospect for Wales!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    18 year old Keelan Giles currently tearing it up for the Ospreys, he's got 8 tries in his last 4 games. Looks some prospect for Wales!
    Question is whether Howley will give him any game time, maybe bench him? I presume he's in the squad?

ReputationRep:
    Question is whether Howley will give him any game time, maybe bench him? I presume he's in the squad?
    He wasn't in the initial squad, and as far as I'm aware he hasn't been called up to replace anyone, yet. I imagine Howley will go with Cuthbert against Australia, which can only end badly.

As far as I'm concerned there's no need to rush him into things, although I'd like to see him start against Japan. When fit, North, Halfpenny and Liam Williams are more than adequate.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2017
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.