Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend didn't get me a graduation gift watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    people seem to be being pretty harsh on you even though i get what you mean. the thing is, graduating is an incredibly personal thing, its marking all the all nighters, stress , essays etc and so only you can appreciate how big it is, noone else apart from those in your class will really understand. i think some people dont udnerstand how much it means to you, the student, personally, maybe your mum and your dad because your proud; i wouldnt have expected anything huge if i were you but yeah your bf probably should have taken you out or something but he really wont get it as he didnt go to uni, id tell him if i were you but not make a big deal out of it just say you kind of expected just somehting more

ReputationRep:
    So what? Stop acting so entitled.

(Original post by john2054)
    Is it doctor Tootles then?!?
    A Toots can dream :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Yup
    Nothing, because I'm not materialistic and petty.
    Well you definitely are extremely judgemental and rude. For real what's your problem? If you don't think OP should have expected more of a reaction from her boyfriend you could have just said that.

ReputationRep:
    lol "graduation gift" - did you just make that up?

ReputationRep:
    Do couples not talk anymore?? If you are feeling dissatisfied then you should discuss your feelings with him.

ReputationRep:
    People express themselves in different ways. For a relationship to work you gotta appreciate that fact. I personally didn't know getting gifts when you graduated were a thing,

I personally think cards are a waste of paper, a simple verbal congrats would be enough, pat on the back, whatever. Yes you graduated, yes he is aware you graduated, he responded and thats that. Why does he need to give you a card to acknowledge your graduation, it'd probably end up in a bin or get lost.

Have you considered the fact that maybe you graduating is causing him some trouble, maybe he feels inferior, maybe he is worried you might leave him for someone "better" / showers you in gifts all the time , or maybe he has something else on his mind.

Or maybe thats just how he expresses himself.

We can speculate all day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Do couples not talk anymore?? If you are feeling dissatisfied then you should discuss your feelings with him.
    I thought about that, but then I tried to imagine the dialogue between them

+So graduation gift?
    -Yes.

ReputationRep:
    There's no malice on his part, just sounds like he doesn't understand what it meant for you. If it bothers you, why don't you tell him that you want to celebrate it and arrange a dinner yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it's nice that he attended and said well done. He perhaps doesn't understand why it is important to have a degree as he didn't go to uni. And if you think about it a lot of people do have degrees these days so his reaction might be acceptable. I felt let down when two of my brothers never came to my graduation a few yrs back so I guess you should be happy in a sense. I wasn't expecting gifts from anyone on my day, a congratulations was enough to make me feel happy. But despite all this hope you had a good day

ReputationRep:
    Did you shower him with gifts when he got a pay raise at work? Or periodically for the good work he does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know I'll come across as materialistic and petty, but I thought it was the norm for a boyfriend to give flowers or even just a card to acknowledge a huge day for their girlfriend. There was no big deal made whatsoever, I think he said ''well done'' when I told him about my high mark but nothing since that. He didn't go to university so maybe didn't see how big a deal graduation would be for me but he'd have surely known it's a once in a lifetime occasion I worked hard for and he didn't so much as get me a card or take me out anywhere.. nothing at all.

I've probably left it too late now to say anything about that but I'm quite hurt and want him to know I felt slightly let down by his reaction, or lack of. What would you say?
    I just want to speak out because I find most people here are being completely insensitive and unsympathetic towards you. Graduation is a big thing. It's the end of an era, perhaps the biggest one you've gone through thus far - it signals the end of an educational-oriented life and the start of a work-related life. Never will a time like this come again, not until retirement that is.

Uni is not easy and requires constant work and determination from one's part. Although we shouldn't expect to be constantly rewarded for good work, the end of your university life is absolutely a huge deal as it represents the culmination of all your hard work, in a single day. A mere "well done" is undoubtedly a very bland, and almost insincere, reaction to something bearing so much importance in your life, and although talking about it would be a little strange I think it is important that you mention how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think he shouldve done something for you.At the end of the day hes your boyfriend and you accomplished something really awesome. Maybe he doesnt understand the level of importance graduating is to you but he shouldve known.Talk to him about how important it was to you, to make him understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    Well you definitely are extremely judgemental and rude. For real what's your problem? If you don't think OP should have expected more of a reaction from her boyfriend you could have just said that.
    That certainly told me
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I wouldn't expect anything for my graduation - I was surprised when people gave me **** for passing my driving. All you're doing is passing a test, like you have been all your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lolol my bf got me stuffs fr carousell for my grad gift. preloved but better than nothing i guess.. thought that counts lol x

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, going against the grain here.

I'm also one for making a bit deal or of little events. I think events and thinks that are important to people should be celebrated. Tbh it is a little sad on your part because you worked so hard for something that means a lot to you and you got a well done.

From his point of view, he may not know the importance but I mean, I'm not in uni yet and I'm already thinking about my graduation party so I don't really get it tbh

Voice your opinions about how important the even was and how you felt, without sounding accusing but don't hold it against him.

Well done for graduating btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what does he do for other occasions, like birthdays or anniversaries?

ReputationRep:
    There's such things as graduation gifts? Lmao. Sounds like another excuse to get free stuff.

It's materialistic and it's petty. You're in your 20s and getting upset over not receiving a paper card? 😊😊😊

However, it should be up to you to make a big deal about it before hand if it is that important for you. You shouldn't expect people to view the importance of things exactly like you do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To clear the air and release some of the pressure and disappointment your feeling about this, if you just say something like

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.