Dear London, I’m So Glad I Left You

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Will/have you ditched London or do/will you prefer it?
    will or have moved out of London
    53.66%
    will be staying or moving to London
    46.34%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Another London hater.

You don't even live here and you are still jealous.
    Not jealous. I can go whenever I want, I'm close. I probably see more different bits than many North Londoners living in a borough they stick to, who never go south for example. But the cost is monumental and don't like the feel, although there are bits I love. It's subjective, people don't have to be massive fans to not be envious- it's almost like a doctrine to like it in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Not jealous. I can go whenever I want, I'm close. I probably see more different bits than many North Londoners living in a borough they stick to, who never go south for example. But the cost is monumental and don't like the feel, although there are bits I love. It's subjective, people don't have to be massive fans to not be envious- it's almost like a doctrine to like it in England.
    lol. I wasn't talking about you.

Anyway, I agree with you.

I am not saying it is all wonderful. It is a huge city. However, if you step outside of the bubble, there are always quiet and beautiful places to go.

ReputationRep:
    I went on 'independence day'. It was a beautiful sunny day. I wanted Brexit, but it still brought my mood down instantly, it utterly made me miserable, and I was in the city. I feel with London, it's more about cool or obligation, about saying you live there a lot, there's a pretense and a conformity about it. It does feel more buzzing and prosperous than other places, (I guess we run and unequal country though). But it does it in a miserable way. It doesn't seem to come down to genuine day to day quality of life. I also think it has a really inhuman feel to it, which to me Paris doesn't , even if Parisians can be off.

Agree with you completely. :five:

Especially the part I highlighted. It is almost as if a young, forward-thinking person has to live in London to be considered normal. As if you cannot be cosmopolitan and live in a county town.

ReputationRep:
    Cost aside I wouldn't want to live in any city due to the air quality.

I can taste the difference in the air when I get of a train in a city centre.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in Blackheath, Greenwich in 1997 and we moved from London to Buckinghamshire in 1999. I don't see myself living in London again as I prefer living out in Buckinghamshire or somewhere like Surrey or Herts.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at Ballet School in London we all lived at a student hostel called St Dorothy's in Hampstead. Living in Hampstead was an absolute joy. Our rent was £25 a week and included breakfast and evening meals ,hot water, electricity etc. I've just been on their website now and the rent is, as you would imagine, a lot more than it was in 1984 !! But what with living in Hampstead and studying in Covent Garden, the two years I was in London were fab. But I've not been back since the early 1990's. I would imagine it being quite different in some areas now. [Although Hampstead and Covent Garden might not have changed that much]. Being from Manchester but having lived in Northern Ireland for the last 17 years, I would love my 19 year old son to move to London, or even back to Manchester ,for the experience. We live in a small village where not much goes on. Having lived and worked all over the world I would love my son to experience life outside where we live. Sadly ,at the moment at least, he has no interest in wanting to travel anywhere. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Agree with you completely. :five:

Especially the part I highlighted. It is almost as if a young, forward-thinking person has to live in London to be considered normal. As if you cannot be cosmopolitan and live in a county town.
    Yeah, Leicester has more Hindu and Sikh culture than anywhere in the UK, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't the economy of London increase if rent went down, since more people would have more disposable income ?

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in London my entire life, aside from 3 years at university, and I can't wait to leave

ReputationRep:
    it's almost like a doctrine to like it in England.
    Right?! It's so ridiculous, I know so many people from uni who were always saying they couldn't wait to move to London and when asked, they'd only actually been into like, Oxford Circus once or twice or hadn't even visited at all. I know it's hard to tell how much you will enjoy living anywhere until you actually live there, because visits are never going to be the same, but when people go on about how much they love London/want to live here and they've only been to certain overly touristy places I can't help but roll my eyes

ReputationRep:
    People are happy to pay ridiculous amounts of money to bask in London's toxic air.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to leave London!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hates London crew

ReputationRep:
    Even a letter rejecting it has some of that massive self-importance, not necessarily of the poster, but of the city running through it.

ReputationRep:
    Even a letter rejecting it has some of that massive self-importance, not necessarily of the poster, but of the city running through it.
    Well in fairness it is designed to generate traffic..

same, some of the worst years of my life lol

ReputationRep:
    So glad I'm from the Somerset countryside. Moved to Mayfair a couple of years ago and I've already moved back to Somerset, although because my parents own half the apartment I can't sell it and have to rent it out :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salamandastron)
    same, some of the worst years of my life lol
    Indeed.. noisey, polluted, rude people, rampant crime [relatively] unpleasant place really.
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)
    So glad I'm from the Somerset countryside. Moved to Mayfair a couple of years ago and I've already moved back to Somerset, although because my parents own half the apartment I can't sell it and have to rent it out :/
    Indeed same, I come from one of the countryside counties and i've moved out after a few years and just commute now :L

ReputationRep:
    London is shite, if I were a billionaire I would not live there because I prefer nature and rawness to a soul-less city of faceless degenrates where you can buy sex on craigslist.

ReputationRep:
    Born and bred Londoner, its my home and I'll never leave it, no matter what a million idiots want to say about it

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.