Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Norway plans to give Finland a mountain for its birthday watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's quite simply a nice gesture. And they will gain a lot from it in goodwill from Finland and the interwebs.
    that's not wise or intelligent for governments to do though, is it? - decisions that harm you (objectively speaking) as simply "nice gestures" - it should all have a rational purpose, right? like making gains in the interest of those that are ruled. nothing should be done as a nice gesture alone. we should never go to war as simply a nice gesture, right? (i.e. in the case of a war that we don't need to become involved in simply to tell everybody "hey, we're being nice to our allies, even though this is totally unnecessary for anybody involved here", so what changes the policy preference here? relativism? why bother with that?

Norway sends us a huge Christmas tree every year, losing resources in the process. Is that not good statecraft?
    no, of course not - why would they, as managers of tax-payers' finances, piss away some of that money for no reason? it's not as if this is going to change the policy direction of the UK, and if it does, then it certainly shouldn't

ReputationRep:
    That is so cute
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    no, of course not - why would they, as managers of tax-payers' finances, piss away some of that money for no reason? it's not as if this is going to change the policy direction of the UK, and if it does, then it certainly shouldn't
    It's a thank you for our help in the war. I suppose you don't give gifts to anyone either. No, didn't think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Norway is such a splendid country. How nice they are.

Me and Finland share the same birthday, I hope Norway gives me something too. Nothing too big... the island of Jan Mayen maybe? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's a thank you for our help in the war. I suppose you don't give gifts to anyone either. No, didn't think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh my god. what an entirely false analogy you've concocted.
    I'm not a country that forcibly extracts money from citizens, am I? I don't have responsibilities to others. I only have responsibilities to myself because I'm not getting my gift money from other people. if I want to give somebody a gift, it'll be because I see some kind of benefit in it. if norway sends us (the UK) these gifts year after year for an eternity, think of the money that is wasted for them.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    oh my god. what an entirely false analogy you've concocted.
    I'm not a country that forcibly extracts money from citizens, am I? I don't have responsibilities to others. I only have responsibilities to myself because I'm not getting my gift money from other people. if I want to give somebody a gift, it'll be because I see some kind of benefit in it. if norway sends us (the UK) these gifts year after year for an eternity, think of the money that is wasted for them.
    And they see a benefit in gifting a tree to the UK and a quarter of an acre of mountain to Finland. The benefit is in goodwill. If the people objected I'm sure they would stop. Seems pretty good statecraft to me.

But you clearly know better than the Prime Minister and government of a country.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.