Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1023 – Corporation Tax (Minimum Level) Bill 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Apparently you're not, it actually goes 0-12-32-42-47, ignoring the small spikes based on assorted allowances, but on top of that VAT and the other consumption based taxes are highly regressive, as is the likes of council tax. I suggest you look up the definition of "net" and read a few reports on the matter, or you incapable of reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, no, actually you're wrong, it goes 20-40-45. Look up "UK tax rates" in Google.

VAT and Council tax is nominal, not relative, so it's regressive by definition, but rich people spend more, and live in bigger houses with higher council tax bands, so what you're saying is net-bullsh.

As I've said, I have a postgrad in Finance from a top 5 university. Prepare to get served.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, hold on, stop - are you talking about the MARGINAL tax rate AFTER you start making 50k or a 100k or so?

I hear what you're saying, but the tax rate is only flat AFTER you start making way above the average salary dum dum.

Corporate Tax doesn't make the tax flatter, it makes it more ACUTE (or angular, or whatever adjective you would want to use)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Philosopher77)
    That's the thing, I'm capable of both. I have a degree in Finance, post-grad from a top 5 university. I'll look this up, but at first glance you're telling me the equivalent of "pigs can fly"
    Then you should already know these things or finance degrees are about as useless as everybody says they are, or you should be able to read, you know, the reports compiled annually on net taxation and benefits, the proportion of people paying more into the system than they take pit, average total taxation as a proportion of income (hint, that one is flat bar minor fluctuations), how different income brackets claim benefits, both cash and in kind at different rates (unsurprisingly the richer you are the lower your claim rate is, other than with rail subsidies) etc

Hint: there is this wonderful body called the "Office for National Statistics " and before it the Central Statistics Office.

In fact you find that the top quintile, who are all in that 43 or 47% direct band only pay about 20% of their income in direct taxes

http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulati...yearending2015

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "Then you should already know these things or finance degrees are about as useless as everybody says they are"

NO, *then* you should already know that I probably DO already know about all of these things, and that what you're saying is THEN WRONG, and you should quickly SHUT THE F- UP before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.
    You would get further if you explained in detail why Jammy Duel is wrong, stating he is wrong then using a finance degree you may have as evidence is not convincing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "Then you should already know these things or finance degrees are about as useless as everybody says they are"

NO, *then* you should already know that I probably DO already know about all of these things, and that what you're saying is THEN WRONG, and you should quickly SHUT THE F- UP before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.
    I find it funny how somebody can claim to know something that they also claim to be wrong, you either already knew that net tax was already more or less flat, in which case I'll give you a 2/10, or you didn't, in which case I will give you a 3/10. Either way, you're either a bad troll or a lying dunce.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Jammy, I'm giving you one last chance to reverse course and apologise, or I will track your personal ID down and permanently alter your future employment prospects. And that, I will find funny, incidentally.

Net tax is more or less flat? Net of WHAT? When you say net tax, what are you offsetting the tax against? Relief? What?
    And I'm giving you one last chance to get your dead out of your arse and make your mind up, actually, no I'm not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    You would get further if you explained in detail why Jammy Duel is wrong, stating he is wrong then using a finance degree you may have as evidence is not convincing.
    Or get further by not bothering, but then is probably getting a kick out of sitting in the basement furiously masturbating over thinking somebody is getting annoyed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh, and yeah, you've been blacklisted for your insolence and disrespect by the way, good luck getting a job in the future with any of my friends.
    Little do you know I've secretly been appointed as the next chair of the fed, to be announced next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Little do you know I've secretly been appointed as the next chair of the fed, to be announced next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So stupid. Just why did you have to get uppity when talking to your superior? Why? Retarded. Oh well, you'll pay the price now.

Yeah so, the Income rate is progressive. 10-20-40-45. Progressive by definition.

VAT is not.

Council Tax may or may not be, depending on what the rate is relative to the average cost of the house

Corp Tax is static, and could be offset with contributions, so it's not progressive.

Capital Gains tax is progressive.

Looks to me that especially when you count in the benefits taken out by the lower earners, and the lack thereof in the upper classes, you get an extremely progressive tax system, since, errr, things like VAT are a fraction of the Income taxes, and things like Corp Tax are only paid by the upper classes as a rule of thumb (AFAIK, not that many middle- and lower-class corp owners, more sole traders)

So where is it "flat" again?

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny how somebody can claim to know something that they also claim to be wrong, you either already knew that net tax was already more or less flat, in which case I'll give you a 2/10, or you didn't, in which case I will give you a 3/10. Either way, you're either a bad troll or a lying dunce.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hold on, hold on, hold on here matey - Are you RETARDED???

The VERY STUDY from ONS YOU GAVE CONFIRMED that the tax rate is PREPOSTEROUSLY PROGRESSIVE and SAID ITSELF that the LOWER INCOME BRACKETS *GET* INCOME from the GOVERNMENT (i.e. have a NEGATIVE TAX RATE) while the TOP EARNERS have the HIGHEST TAX RATE.

ARE YOU ILLITERATE?? Not me, YOU, are YOU illiterate??

The very STUDY you GAVE ME CONFIRMS MY POINT. How about the NEXT TIME you get an IDEA you SHUT THE F- UP!!!! Brilliant soluton to you spreading ignorance. Good lord. What a CRETIN!!

ReputationRep:
    I think this debate has veered away from corporation tax. It seems there is concern in the House about the margins in the airline and travel industry, and what is UK turnover. I am happy to define these in some detail for a second reading.

The suggestion that I am an environmentalist I take as a compliment, and as for less flying, I acknowledge wishing to see less, especially on short -haul routes where there is or should be a high speed rail alternative. No-one in my opinion should be flying from a London airport to Paris, anywhere in Belgium, most of the Netherlands and some parts of Germany, for example.*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I think this debate has veered away from corporation tax. It seems there is concern in the House about the margins in the airline and travel industry, and what is UK turnover. I am happy to define these in some detail for a second reading.

The suggestion that I am an environmentalist I take as a compliment, and as for less flying, I acknowledge wishing to see less, especially on short -haul routes where there is or should be a high speed rail alternative. No-one in my opinion should be flying from a London airport to Paris, anywhere in Belgium, most of the Netherlands and some parts of Germany, for example.*
    When it is cheaper, quicker, and more comfortable to fly to all of those places Paris, anywhere in Belgium, most of the Netherlands, and some parts of Germany, individuals should choose to travel by air.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.