Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_1987)
    Hays never got back to me-rudeness!!
    I got a phonecall from Hays yesterday, although they don't seem like the most organised of companies.

The person I spoke to on the phone originally said that they dealt with permanent jobs, so passed me on to someone who supposedly dealt with temporary ones. I quickly explained I was starting my gap year etc and she gave me her email address to send my CV. Then yesterday, I got a phonecall saying she'd just looked at my CV and it said I was taking a gap year, so she was passing my details onto somebody who dealt with tempoary work and they would contact me.

So, nothing as yet, but a phonecall is better than none I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so..but it's no way to run a business really!! I think the key thing is perseverance i.e. pester the agency..they'll soon find you a job so shut you up! hehe!!

I remember when I was an AA, I got paid £6 an hour and I saw the bill sent to my employers from the agency with the hourly rate they charged - it was £8 an hour, so they don't really take that much!!

ReputationRep:
    Sign up for loads, I emailed about 20 my CV 2 weeks ago, got a phone call on thursday asking if i was available the next day, I had to go in and sign a load of forms and fill in an official application.

£5.50 an hour sucks considering is 45 miles each way for me, but its still work!

ReputationRep:
    I went to one on Thursday to give my details etc & the woman seemed quite positive about finding me a position, she mentioned warehouse packaging.
    I really hope I hear back from them soon within the week, no idea what I'll do otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmostInsane)
    I went to one on Thursday to give my details etc & the woman seemed quite positive about finding me a position, she mentioned warehouse packaging.
    I really hope I hear back from them soon within the week, no idea what I'll do otherwise.
    They always sounded positive with me...

Got an offer this morning though...for 2 days starting today...I didn't bother - there is NO point - would spend my wages getting there and buying my lunch no doubt!

ReputationRep:
    I went and kicked up a fuss in my agency today The usual girl I who does temping stuff has gone on holiday and when I phoned up first time, they said they'd phone back and didn't. I phoned back again and they didn't know who I was and couldn't find my records, but said they'd look straight away and ring me back, and didn't.

So while I was in the area I went in and said "I was just wondering if you had figured out who I am yet? Because apparently you've lost my file". Luckily that got them moving and they found my records in about 5 minutes flat. So they got me to do an Audio Typing test (not that I've done audio typing before) and assured me they'd try and get me something. Argh. Hate em.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpinkuk)
    I . So they got me to do an Audio Typing test (not that I've done audio typing before).
    Out of interest, and incase an agency ever gets back to me, whats an audio typing test? Is it just used to check you'd be quick enough to work in an office or something? I think I can type fairly quickly, but I can't touch type or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I wore some headphones and some guy read a passage of text, which I had to type. You use some foot pedals to play, rewind and fast forward.

It was the same passage I used when doing a copy typing test and I got a little further this time, but I think that was because she forgot about me and left me for more than 5 minutes Rather than any magnificent speed increase on my part.

ReputationRep:
    Some are great, some are ****. It really is a question of luck and what the situation is like in your area.

In theory, it's in their (agency) best interest to find you work asap but in the summer they get bombarded with students and so can get away with putting in the extra effort for only a small percentage of those on their books. They know they'll fill the jobs suitable for students and have a lot of surplus left over without work.

ReputationRep:
    I went to another agency this afternoon & she rang me up a few hours later asking if I could do some office work at a catering service for a week, so I'm happy! It's only a weeks work but it's much better than nothing!

ReputationRep:
    Yup it's definitley worth taking everything you can get, even if it's only for a few days. You may get lucky and the company might keep you on for longer but either way you'll get onto the ladder and build up some experience.

ReputationRep:
    If you're signed up with an agency, is it best to be persistant with them i.e. calling them all the time instead of waiting for them to find things for you, and if yes, how often should I call, once a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    If you're signed up with an agency, is it best to be persistant with them i.e. calling them all the time instead of waiting for them to find things for you, and if yes, how often should I call, once a week?
    I signed up to one today that said to call them daily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spark911)
    I signed up to one today that said to call them daily
    I braved the weather and also went into one today. The man said that it would be more difficult to find something because I don't have an experience but I said I wouldn't mind working for a low wage just as long as I could find something and he said that that would make it easier, so fingers crossed.

I have an 'interview' next week just to register and stuff, and was given a form listing the things I needed to bring. One was details of a reference, and he wrote next to it something like "3yr education/work". Can anyone clarify what that means? Do they need to have known me for three years? I'm having a bit of an issue with the reference at the moment as my school has just finished for the summer. One of my teachers said they would write it but I don't have their email address (i'm attempting to track it down). Someone form my work experience place also said they would do it, but I haven't known them for 3 years if thats what it means.

ReputationRep:
    My university has a temping agency of its own... thats how i got my job. I found that they actually employ on merit too... unusual for student jobs huh!

Its really only useful for anyone in the Warwickshire/Coventry area, but they often have some temp jobs in london etc...

www.unitemps.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SplidgeSplodge)
    My university has a temping agency of its own... thats how i got my job. I found that they actually employ on merit too... unusual for student jobs huh!

Its really only useful for anyone in the Warwickshire/Coventry area, but they often have some temp jobs in london etc...

www.unitemps.com
    I was actually considering coming over from Telford each day for a job! Fingers crossed for Subway, I need it so much

(Original post by barmy_army008)
    I braved the weather and also went into one today. The man said that it would be more difficult to find something because I don't have an experience but I said I wouldn't mind working for a low wage just as long as I could find something and he said that that would make it easier, so fingers crossed.

I have an 'interview' next week just to register and stuff, and was given a form listing the things I needed to bring. One was details of a reference, and he wrote next to it something like "3yr education/work". Can anyone clarify what that means? Do they need to have known me for three years? I'm having a bit of an issue with the reference at the moment as my school has just finished for the summer. One of my teachers said they would write it but I don't have their email address (i'm attempting to track it down). Someone form my work experience place also said they would do it, but I haven't known them for 3 years if thats what it means.
    Go with your teacher, perhaps go into your school early, someone will probably be in reception for a week or two after school term ends, they sometimes do teacher training and some last minute admin stuff in the few days at the start of the following week after breaking up - someone in reception can probably contact the teacher for you.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spark911)
    I was actually considering coming over from Telford each day for a job! Fingers crossed for Subway, I need it so much
    THey have quite a few jobs in Birmingham if youd stretch to travelling that by train or something (wouldnt drive that personally - too many idiots on the M54)

You'll get teh one in Subway im sure... youre a warwick law student, who wouldnt want you!?

ReputationRep:
    I went into 3 agencies today, with mixed results.

The first one, Brook Street, had seemed quite helpful when I went in last week to arrange an appointment. The person I was meant to be speaking to wasn't there but I spoke to another person who rearranged the appointment and was quite apologetic for not letting me know that they were away.
    Even if it was just a front, I at least got the impression that they might be able to find me something (as I said at the beginning of the thread I have no work experience) because I said that I would do anything.

I went into Manpower where I hadn't been before. They weren't very good at hiding the fact that it might be difficult to get me work but they got me to do some Word/Excel test thing on the computer. I think the software was a bit rubbish, as it didn't like highlighting or scrolling or backspace, but apparently I did "quite well". They just want me to email a CV.

And I went to one final one that I just happened to be passing. It reminded me a bit of somewhere that was run by one or two people who weren't quite sure what they were doing (I don't know if anyone has read a Diamond Brothers book by Anthony Horowitz but a bit like the detective agency in that) and they just said to email a CV and they would get back to me and let me know if they could help.

So at the moment Brook Street seems most promising, but either way at least I feel like i'm doing something productive...

ReputationRep:
    I know people that temp with manpower, and they're completely useless...but maybe it's just the croydon branch on wellesley road lol

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.