Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How can Men fight the Patriarchy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    well, the only thing that men can really do, is do worse, so that women can feel as if they're doing better as a matter of comparison
    Well that's happened already in education...girls do a fair bit better on average. But it's not a problem, somehow. Neither is the fact that white working class males do the worst of any socioethnic group. Strangely, in these cases people can't run out of things to say about general behaviour of individuals and how it influences the overall group's performance, but when people say that, for instance, women are less interested in leadership or senior executive roles as a group, everyone goes nuts.

ReputationRep:
    Baited hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlebitofsky)
    If OP wanted a serious answer as opposed to misinformed bigotry:

The best way men can support gender equality is by being open-minded and having an awareness of their own privilege. Think about your actions and the actions of others and consider whether they might be harmfully playing in to gender stereotypes: am I saying "man up" when I really mean "don't show any emotion"? Am I treating people differently based on my perception of their gender?

Also, knowledge is power, so reading around feminism and its history is a useful way to get a better grasp of what the movement is about. You don't necessarily have to get bogged down in hardcore feminist theory (it can be complicated), and it's an excellent idea to read critical accounts as well - we're being open-minded, remember? Any views you take should be well-informed and supportable in your own mind. There's a lot of information online and on YouTube but I'd also recommend 'Everyday Sexism' or 'Girl Up' by Laura Bates and 'We Should All Be Feminists' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (which is also a YouTube video: https://youtu.be/hg3umXU_qWc ).

Lastly, don't be afraid to use " the f-word" and call yourself a feminist. In real life and especially online there are many who will jump to point fingers and try and tear you down but if you really, truly believe in something then don't let that bother you. If you can see what others can't, don't let them blind you.

Good luck! Remember, you're not a male ally - you're a feminist

am I saying "man up" when I really mean "don't show any emotion"
    Yes what a big and important issue. or you could continue saying "man up" and anyone that whines about ignore them it is hardly important. Its not like women in some parts of the world are not allowed to drive and are second class citizens.

If you seriously get angry at someone using man up all I have to say is man up and deal with it.

open-minded and having an awareness of their own privilege

Yes privilege that thing that punishes me for being a evil oppressive white slave owning racist rich man. and what is even worse is I am straight. all this privledge stuff is a load of nonsense considering men and especially white men are still oppressed or at least Unfairly treated. in the western world but no one cares about them.

Privledge is just a tool and buzzword used by Idiotic feminists to further cement their position that they are being oppressed and they need to fight back

by being open-minded

Most feminists are so open minded to the things that agree with them and those that go against what they are fighting for such as disproving the pay gap the feminists shut off and will not listen to reason. so being a feminist and being open minded seems to be mutually exclusive for most.

*When I say feminists I do not mean all I just mean most*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Baited hard.
    tbh I reckon everyone realises the OP is baiting but doesn't mind discussing this stuff anyway
    That's how I felt anyhow

ReputationRep:

The best way men can support gender equality is by being open-minded and having an awareness of their own privilege. Think about your actions and the actions of others and consider whether they might be harmfully playing in to gender stereotypes: am I saying "man up" when I really mean "don't show any emotion"? Am I treating people differently based on my perception of their gender?

Also, knowledge is power, so reading around feminism and its history is a useful way to get a better grasp of what the movement is about. You don't necessarily have to get bogged down in hardcore feminist theory (it can be complicated), and it's an excellent idea to read critical accounts as well - we're being open-minded, remember? Any views you take should be well-informed and supportable in your own mind. There's a lot of information online and on YouTube but I'd also recommend 'Everyday Sexism' or 'Girl Up' by Laura Bates and 'We Should All Be Feminists' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (which is also a YouTube video: https://youtu.be/hg3umXU_qWc ).

Lastly, don't be afraid to use " the f-word" and call yourself a feminist. In real life and especially online there are many who will jump to point fingers and try and tear you down but if you really, truly believe in something then don't let that bother you. If you can see what others can't, don't let them blind you.

The idea of privilege baffles me. So much of feminist thought revolves around this idea and yet refuses to understand the more complex idea of how the 'real world' works.

Let's take education, for example. The idea of privilege would suggest that boys should form the majority of graduates with a university degree. And yet, women are now more than 60% of all bachelor degree holders in the U.S. (source. The reality, of course, is that women are more willing to take on the debt of a degree and take the gap from the workplace. This naturally means that men, perhaps less qualified, are more experienced by the time both reach the mid-career level (hence the differences in wages).

ReputationRep:
    The patriarchy is a feminist myth if you really want to fight a patriarchy go to the middle east where women are actually oppressed smh :/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    LOL, isn't this guy banned?

ReputationRep:
    Be lazy and work less to help eliminate the gender pay gap.

ReputationRep:

How am I privileged as a man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Well that's happened already in education...girls do a fair bit better on average. But it's not a problem, somehow. Neither is the fact that white working class males do the worst of any socioethnic group. Strangely, in these cases people can't run out of things to say about general behaviour of individuals and how it influences the overall group's performance, but when people say that, for instance, women are less interested in leadership or senior executive roles as a group, everyone goes nuts.
    Indeed, it is baffling.

It is perfectly accepted in the media for people to say, "Boys get worse grades because girls are harder workers".

But it is completely unacceptable, and would be a sackable offence, for someone to say, "Men earn more money because they are harder workers".

It's even weirder because there are clear data showing that women are much more likely to work fewer hours per week and on a part-time basis than men. I wouldn't care if only stupid people believed in this nonsense. But when highly intelligent people share this crap on my Facebook feed, I despair.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.