Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Shouldn't complain - it cost me £3.60 to get the bus to Bournemouth station and back a couple of weeks ago...in london it would have cost £2 at most
    we're talking the underground... not the buses

a single underground ticket costs £2.40! you could buy a burger with that! or 24 packets of walkers crisps.

or a pint.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 4Ed)

a single underground ticket costs £2.40! you could buy a burger with that! or 24 packets of walkers crisps.

or a pint.
    Yup

Personally when I'm in London with my other half the underground isn't an option (it is a long way from being wheelchair accessible)...so we (well I) walk everywhere :eek:

Yup

Personally when I'm in London with my other half the underground isn't an option (it is a long way from being wheelchair accessible)...so we (well I) walk everywhere :eek:
    My thoughts exactly. Why waste all these millions on upgrading underground stations when the “physically challenged” almost never use them in the first place? Far better to spend the money on putting rocket boosters on wheelchairs and so they can fly in the air.

And then we can play “shoot the disabled flying in the sky” game. Most fun. Better than shooting peasants. And pheasants.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ubermensch)
    My thoughts exactly. Why waste all these millions on upgrading underground stations when the “physically challenged”
    I prefer the term crips myself - far less cumbersome

almost never use them in the first place? Far better to spend the money on putting rocket boosters on wheelchairs and so they can fly in the air.

And then we can play “shoot the disabled flying in the sky” game. Most fun. Better than shooting peasants. And pheasants.
    Obviously spoken (typed) by someone who's never seen my other half in a hangglider/paraglider/cessna/helicopter....trust me you do not want to let people like him* near rocket propulsion...there wouldn't be any survivors on the ground

*fearless nutters with no sense of balance

I prefer the term crips myself - far less cumbersome

Obviously spoken (typed) by someone who's never seen my other half in a hangglider/paraglider/cessna/helicopter....trust me you do not want to let people like him* near rocket propulsion...there wouldn't be any survivors on the ground

*fearless nutters with no sense of balance
    Oh, dont get me wrong - I would be fair and allow him to have laser guns annexed to his wheelchair. Of course, laser guns currently have as much power as a ant's fart. But that's not my fault - that's science's.

I was always under the impression that you were disabled - so is your b\f disabled too, or is it "just" him?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Oh, dont get me wrong - I would be fair and allow him to have laser guns annexed to his wheelchair. Of course, laser guns currently have as much power as a ant's fart. But that's not my fault - that's science's.

I was always under the impression that you were disabled - so is your b\f disabled too, or is it "just" him?
    He's the wheelchair user - I've just got a mild case of aspergers and a very odd sense of humour

ReputationRep:
    Our new car does near 50 mpg on country roads :cool:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Which car? (currently checking things out for when the contract for our current petrol drinker (bloody false advertising) comes up for renewal next october)

ReputationRep:
    Which car? (currently checking things out for when the contract for our current petrol drinker (bloody false advertising) comes up for renewal next october)
    Honda Jazz

It even has a thing that tells you your mpg so you know exactly what your car does, rather than some obscure statistics obtained in perfect circumstances.

Apparantly it can reach over 60 mpg on motorways etc

ReputationRep:
    I think people really do need to change their driving habbits, I don't know about Manchester but the traffic is just stupid, you can get stuck in jams any time during the day.

Bus usage here has increased 20% since 1996, but so have car journeys. The worst one is cars in the city centre, people driving to work with one person in the car when they could easily get the bus (most people do get the bus or train but enough don't which causes very bad traffic).

Cars should only be used in countryside or not very dense areas where public transport is poor or if you need to transport somthing heavy or get some where quick.

The local universities have responded by continuing to reduce the car parks, and bus companies now charge is little as £3 per week unlimited travel. Despite this too many perfectly abled people are using their cars to make very short journeys.

For this reason I support petrol costs being high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Surely it depends on who's on the bus? What kind of car? I don't believe for a second that a double decker with every seat filled is creating more pollution per person than one person driving their 4x4 to work.

And buses aren't the only form of public transport.
    actually on topgear they were talking about trains, not buses.

(Original post by 4Ed)

or a pint.
    I know. A damn silly little singe just to a few stops away - £2.60.

When I was in Paris in May I got a travelcard for the entire city for only about £1.70 or something silly like that (there’s a special ticket that under 26s can get for the weekends – unlimited travel on a weekend day for about 3 Euros).

And the damn cheek of it all is that these lazy ******* commies tube drivers want more than £30,000 a year for sitting on their bloody ass doing sod all – and when they do something wrong their trade union protects them.

We need to bring back Thatcher, smash those *******s, crucify Ken, and bloody get something with a brain to run the place.

ReputationRep:
    We need to bring back Thatcher, smash those *******s, crucify Ken, and bloody get something with a brain to run the place.
    Like thatcher would want to be mayoress of London anyway. Ken livingston is doing the best that he can do under the circumstance none of the other candidates could do any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    yeh but doesnt every1 benefit from the amount which goes straight to the government?
    No. People that contribute much more than they take out don't really benefit do they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    What is it? One of those blue plastic ******* cars on three wheels?

ReputationRep:
    And I wonder how many people would complain if the quality of the welfare state declined due to taking £2 off a full tank of petrol? I'm happy to pay 80p litre, but then money isn't that important to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I think people really do need to change their driving habbits, I don't know about Manchester but the traffic is just stupid, you can get stuck in jams any time during the day.

Bus usage here has increased 20% since 1996, but so have car journeys. The worst one is cars in the city centre, people driving to work with one person in the car when they could easily get the bus (most people do get the bus or train but enough don't which causes very bad traffic).

Cars should only be used in countryside or not very dense areas where public transport is poor or if you need to transport somthing heavy or get some where quick.

The local universities have responded by continuing to reduce the car parks, and bus companies now charge is little as £3 per week unlimited travel. Despite this too many perfectly abled people are using their cars to make very short journeys.

For this reason I support petrol costs being high.
    All of us can't live in a big city with lots of public transportation. I mean I take the bus to school but that is the only public transportation available where I live. We have to drive everywhere else. Although I guess I shouldn't comment on this thread since according to ya'll we're getting the good deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    our local bus services have suffered recently, withdrawing a couple of well run routes, despite lowering petrol prices. the problem with bus routes where i live is that they are not really practical... i'd often have to take 2/3 separate buses just to get to the other side of town (along a single main road)

i do travel everywhere by public transport or bicycle if i can (mainly cuz i can't drive ) it would be a good thing to reduce the number of car users, but the thing is, petrol prices going up will hit hard to those people who are on the road - self employed taxi drivers/lorry drivers, courier services etc.

EDIT: i pressed submit too soon to chuck on the 2nd paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What is it? One of those blue plastic ******* cars on three wheels?
    No a Honda Jazz, a very nice car that is phenominally popular with its owners; it won the JD Power thing this year.

Economy is the future, sort term anyway - and it's a nice thought that our car is using about one third of the petrol of the big lumbering Jag we overtake :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    our local bus services have suffered recently, withdrawing a couple of well run routes, despite lowering petrol prices. the problem with bus routes where i live is that they are not really practical... i'd often have to take 2/3 separate buses just to get to the other side of town (along a single main road)

i do travel everywhere by public transport or bicycle if i can (mainly cuz i can't drive ) it would be a good thing to reduce the number of car users, but the thing is, petrol prices going up will hit hard to those people who are on the road - self employed taxi drivers/lorry drivers, courier services etc.

EDIT: i pressed submit too soon to chuck on the 2nd paragraph.
    This why I think if you live in a countryside and have a pass to show local forcourts you can get a discount on petrol. Also if you're self employed like a taxi driver or my dad, you could claim a lot of the extra taxes back of petrol so you're not paying a lot. If you're disabled then you should also get a discount. For normal perfectly abled people like me then paying £1 a litre may be the only way to get people out of their cars. Where I live the buses are literly every 2 minutes to the city centre, every 10 minutes to the Trafford Centre, every 10 minutes to Stockport so there isn't any need for a lot of people to drive the journey's they make.

They are building a new super bus lane near me which will make bus journey's much faster and car journey's slower. I guess this a start to making more people use public transport.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.