All the time! 😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humerak786)
    All the time! 😄
    Lol tell me about it! :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm fine, bit eccentric though.

Though I suppose making people feel awkward...suggests you're the awkward one? Because I like to hug goodbye (I had almost exclusively female close friends when I was younger who did this, so it's habit) and some guys find that incredibly awkward.....or are they are awkward ones?

I used to be that way, only because I have a high frequency hearing impairment. So my brain is wired differently than people that are born with a normal sense of hearing. Hearing aids do help, but I feel that they generally take on ambient noises at the same volume as someone talking to you, so it can be annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    So today whilst I was doing my volunteering work this guy (probs 19/20) randomly came up to me and started a conversation. Half way through our conversation he said "my name is ... by the way" and I said "okay" :facepalm:
    That was literally my cue for me to say my name but I said "okay"
    I literally hate myself for being so socially awkward.

Have anyone of you been in a situation like that before/are any of you socially awkward too?
    When I was in year 12 I was sitting on the benches in my schools playground, a girl came up and started a conversion. She asks me how am I and I reply good...
    she than said oh I have to go it was nice talking to you. I remember how stupid I was, I was suppose to reply with Im good wbu. Than rumors spread around that I'm jerk -__-

ReputationRep:
    So today whilst I was doing my volunteering work this guy (probs 19/20) randomly came up to me and started a conversation. Half way through our conversation he said "my name is ... by the way" and I said "okay" :facepalm:

Have anyone of you been in a situation like that before/are any of you socially awkward too?
    That's not awkward at all! I would think that's normal.

I have Asperger's, you should see the things I do.

ReputationRep:
    OMG.I did this.

ReputationRep:
    Annoyingly, I have quite a few mental health issues which mean I am extremely socially awkward (I didn't know how to actually hold a conversation until recently, and still am not very good at it now) and I struggle to feel pain for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raizelcadres)
    When I was in year 12 I was sitting on the benches in my schools playground, a girl came up and started a conversion. She asks me how am I and I reply good...
    she than said oh I have to go it was nice talking to you. I remember how stupid I was, I was suppose to reply with Im good wbu. Than rumors spread around that I'm jerk -__-
    Oh wow that's not nice. Luckily he was nice enough and carried on speaking to me (for like an hour)

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I'm socially awkward too. But now, I try my best to start conversations with strangers.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I've definitely been in situations like that for sure. But I don't think that makes you socially awkward. There's different aspects of being socially awkward I think.

You probably just felt awkward in that particular situation, had it have been something else... Maybe you wouldn't have been?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    socially akward talking to teachers in groups but not on my own :confused:
    socially akward when I'm with a group of friends I know but not that well at all
    socially awkward meeting new people
    socially awkward when i buy stuff but not when ordering
    socially awkward at all parties, esp when there is food
    Spoiler:
    Show
    and prob some other times but its late and cba to use brain :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Yeah because I don't go out enough
    It's just like anything else, practice makes perfect..
    Indeed man

ReputationRep:
    One time my family ordered a Deliveroo and I went downstairs to collect the food from the deliverer. She handed me the food, said "have a nice meal" and I replied "you too".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Username<)
    Yeah, I've definitely been in situations like that for sure. But I don't think that makes you socially awkward. There's different aspects of being socially awkward I think.

You probably just felt awkward in that particular situation, had it have been something else... Maybe you wouldn't have been?
    Idk I feel like I'm awkward all the time. Whenever my "boss" (at the place I volunteer) speaks to me Im just like "yeah, okay, it's fine" it's like I can never think of anything else to say

ReputationRep:

I did the Hi-Five...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    I did the Hi-Five...
    For me its when someone goes for a handshake while you go for a fistbump xD

ReputationRep:
    Side stepping into a strangers path. (end up looking like a dance move 'slide to the left, slide to the right!')

yep.
    Have issues eating in front of people, talking in front of people (not helped by the fact it is hard to speak clearly and people always go 'what? ;-;' ) walking in front of people (kind of want to hug myself tighter because im ashamed of my appearance)
    so yeh pretty awkward
    am trying to get better though but it is hard tbh

ReputationRep:
    I used to be really bad, but I've learnt to deal with it over time (kinda had to), so I don't show it anymore. I can fake confidence and enthusiasm, and look all happy. But inside I die a bit everytime I have to speak to a stranger or in a group. I prefer one on one conversations so much better.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.