The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im soooo scared about results day. i feel i did so c**p in my exams this time round since my mocks. im really worried about fre, ger and chem results. i really banked on getting *'s for these but i rly doubt it. the wait is killing me...aaah!!!!
Reply 21
tbh i'm not bothered about all this waiting :p:
Meh if it bothers you then do something to get it out of your mind, like getting a part-time job or entering competitions..

The Oriel College Oxford Philosophy Prize is a good one, google it.
Waiting for results is always far worse than doing exams, but all you can really do is keep as busy as possible to help take your mind off it. You can't do anything to change your results now, there's no point obsessing over what you think you got in everything because you won't be able to remember the exams clearly now anyway and you've probably done better than you think.
Reply 24
Toiletpaper8
Meh if it bothers you then do something to get it out of your mind, like getting a part-time job or entering competitions..

The Oriel College Oxford Philosophy Prize is a good one, google it.

ooh! i might kill my time with that @_@ thanks a lot, do you know any other competitions? :biggrin: *looks at blank CV anxiously*
Chezua
i was just whooping on the contest a mo ago but i realised it's for year 12s :s-smilie: i'm not a year 11 anymore so won't i be counted as one? blimey...

anyways do you know any other competitions?

thanks in advance.

chezua

I know i PMed you all of this, but i thought i might post it as well incase anyone else is interested!

These prizes :smile: *thinks of all the money* which are hosted normally by Oxbridge :cool: every year are generally intended to give students a feel for the challenges of the subject and encourage applicants to Oxbridge for that subject, so are aimed at those doing AS or A2 next year. Seeing as you've already done A2s and you're starting Uni October, i don't think you can do it. It's still quite a thought engaging and challenging article to write and really gets you thinking (I did the brain in a vat essay lol). Personally i feel the philosophy is the most fun one to write lol :biggrin: :biggrin:. For example, Trinity College Cambridge :rolleyes: hosted this year's History prize, i entered an essay on stalemate in WWI lol. They're mainly aimed at prospective students interested in the subject at degree level and obviously looks great on your CV :biggrin:!

There are far too many prizes that you can enter, even now i think, and it just depends on what subject interests you have. For example, for Poetry, there's the Christopher Tower Poetry competition (first prize of 3k i think) or the better known Foyles poetry competition hosted on an annual basis :biggrin:! Cambridge Uni are also known to host many maths competitions and the UK Land Chess Challenge (annual) is always fun. It was held at Repton last year i think.

Though if you're thinking of enhancing your CV in some way, it probably mainly depends on the subject area you're interested in. If say it's medicine, then keeping up extra curricular activities would probably prove useful.

I think RollsRoyce also have a 'young' designer's prize or something :/ though i don't think you'd be elligible lol :wink:.

Hope i've managed to be of assistance in some way. If you could tell me the subject areas you're interested in then I can help you find something that suits you and if you have any questions, don't hesistate to ask!!! :p: :biggrin:
Reply 26
wow thank you!! erm, you misunderstood. i've just finished my GCSEs and going to do AS this september lol :redface: i quite like the philosophy questions though, i wonder if i didn't win anything i may still be allowed to include it in my CV? :rolleyes:

erm, let's see. i have no idea what i want to do as a career but i like art and maths so that rolls royce design competition might be OK (when you say i'm not elligible i hope you mean the contest's for post-GCSE students lol). the history one sounds quite nice too...bah, just give me any links you know :p:

thank you toiletpaper :smile:
You're welcome!! I'll give you the links in a moment, mum's calling for tea!

If you've just finished your GCSEs then you're in the exact same position i'm in and you can do the philosophy prize. Of course you can put it on your CV but only if it's related to your subject in some way. For example you can talk about the challenges and how it motivated you to apply for your subject maybe! I'll get back to you!
Reply 28
Toiletpaper8
do you know any geography competitions?
i keep looking but cant find any

thank you

harmony
Reply 29
I'm worried - less than 4 weeks left... :frown:
Reply 30
i'm beginning to get so worried, i keep on realising that some of the subjects i was banking on getting *s in are pretty much pot luck, and im really worried about what i'll get for english, coz if i do aweful in english, then im unlikely to be a very popular with universities and i might not be allowed into my college. i did think that i was good at science with nothing to prove it but a fluke A* in physics mock, but now i have no idea, i remember screwing up several questions on each science paper which makes me think i've done even worse and i'm even beginning to worry about the exams that i thought i did well in, like maths, because i worry that even though i may get a high mark, the grade boundaries will be so high because it was so easy and i might get an A or a B.

Holidays don't feel much like a break at the moment either, all my friends are on holiday so i seem to stay in my room, which makes me feel like i'm still on study leave except without the revision or exercise i was doing, which makes me feel guilty, and i still feel like i have homework to do because i have to call people about volunteering and write an article about my work experience.

What can i say, i'm a worrier!
Glad to get that off my chest, my next oppurtunity to offload some steam will probably be at Reading after results day, where 'll finally find out whether i'm a happy drunk or a sad drunk, though the out come will probably depend on the results.

Latest