would it be x = 21??
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jack_Tomlin)
    would it be x = 21??
    Yep. Now substitute that back into one of the two equations and you can find what y is.

(Original post by RDKGames)
    Yep. Now substitute that back into one of the two equations and you can find what y is.
    Ok so like this?

126 + 2y = 22
    105 + 4y = 23
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Ok so like this?

126 + 2y = 22
    105 + 4y = 23
    No.

You found that x=21. Now choose whichever equation you want to substitute it into, it doesn't matter, you would get the same answer from either.

Let's choose the second one for instance: 10x+8y=46
    Since we know x=21 we can replace x with 21

10(21)+8y=46

and you can solve from there.

No.

You found that x=21. Now choose whichever equation you want to substitute it into, it doesn't matter, you would get the same answer from either.

Let's choose the second one for instance: 10x+8y=46
    Since we know x=21 we can replace x with 21

10(21)+8y=46

and you can solve from there.
    So we always sub into the equations where we made the coefficients the same not the first lot we are given?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    So we always sub into the equations where we made the coefficients the same not the first lot we are given?
    You can sub into either, the ones you make up are only multiples of the original ones, they don't affect the final answer after you simplify everything.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same way lol, but would't want to be rude or anything. I wonder what year OP is in.
    No idea but I expect 7 or 8 as these are extremely basic simult eqns. Don't know why this thread has so many posts lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter as long as you replace one variable so you only get one variable left in the equation. When you made the coefficients the same, you only multiplied both sides by a scale factor so the equations are basically still the same.

(Original post by 98matt)
    this thread is infuriating. Add them together, it's not hard. Watch some tutorial video if you're unsure. x=2 y = -0.5 is the solution

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry but I'm sitting the new GCSE maths exam next year foundation tier and a alot of the higher tier topics are moving to foundation as well.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I'm sitting the new GCSE maths exam next year foundation tier and a alot of the higher tier topics are moving to foundation as well.
    I don't mean to sound rude but it's clear that you're not sure what you're doing at all. I would go on YouTube and watch a few videos on simultaneous equations and watch how other people solve the questions and then try some yourself from a textbook.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    I don't mean to sound rude but it's clear that you're not sure what you're doing at all. I would go on YouTube and watch a few videos on simultaneous equations and watch how other people solve the questions and then try some yourself from a textbook.
    Agreed. He just seems as if he was thrown some simultaneous equations without any background knowledge on them. :/

OP, you can watch these videos made by my teacher and I'm sure they will prove extremely helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hsUrfF9rOs

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PdCKXNkRM7X_9c

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.