Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Very good. Whilst we're at it, let's also ban the showing of any John Wayne or Clint Eastwood film produced before 1970.

ReputationRep:
    And this is without talk of Boro TinTin.

For those of you that haven't seen this, just search for TinTin on YouTube...

ReputationRep:
    I concur with Zoecb: to me, as a child, the grotesquely caricatured physiognomy of the 'ethnic' characters actually militated against reconciliation with their true-to-life counterparts. (Blatant anachronism notwithstanding.)

ReputationRep:
    I suppose, whilst I'd strongly oppose any attempt of an outright ban, when it comes to children you have to make allowances for the fact that they will most likely be unable to appreciate the context of such misrepresentation of black people. Whereas an adult can appreciate the fact that this comes from an era with a generally less developed view of black people (and furthermore an adult has a greater faculty for forming reasonable views anyway), a child might simply end up associating black people with backwardness and stupidity, which isn't a good idea. You have to make allowances for children seeing things in a simplistic way.

ReputationRep:
    Bah, what is this country coming to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordw)
    Bah, what is this country coming to?
    Oh for heaven's sake, it's hardly the worst thing that's ever been suggested :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Move the originals to the adult section, but edit the children's version, they do this with books all the time - even the Bible. I'm constantly surprised when I encounter bits of the Bible I had never "got" before as a child, only now realising that some of it is pretty heavy stuff. There's no need to "ban" it though. It portrays its time, and though many of these depictions may be distasteful now, it wasn't exactly intended to be malevolent.

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought that there should be an easy to read large print version of Mein Kampf in the children's section of the library, although my local library, it's staff and a restraining order would beg to differ.

It's political correctness gone mad!

Tintin has been anti Nazi/arian ubermensche for generations, but you don't see them bringing that up do you, it's racism I tell you. :rolleyes:

Stupid really but what can you say, you can't be made a Daily Mail reader you've either got it or you aint. what a overly anal load of old tosh frankly, I mean people who think children will be scarred by such things? I wouldn't let a child touch the Bible then, that books choc a block with misery, degradation and genocidal racism.

ReputationRep:
    I thought tintin was **** anyways.

ReputationRep:
    I used to love watching them, And I think this business is going out of hand. It was made in the 1920's and reflects the society of the time..

In the end, is everything like this going to be banned that was made many years ago??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.