Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Bad scores on UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.sx)
    Hi, I got 1850 band one on my UKCAT, which I'm worried won't be high enough for the UKCAT unis I want to go to, so I'm definately taking the BMAT. I haven't got as much time as I want to prepare for it as I originally didn't plan on doing the BMAT, so was wondering what advice people have on preparing and if anyone has helpful tips etc. Thanks
    It will be high enough for certain UKCAT unis proving certain conditions are met Where are you applying?
    Okay i have sat the BMAT last year.
    1) For the essay, make sure you read plenty of examples to farmilarise yourself with the structure. 700 BMAT book is excellent for essays as it gives you valuable advice. For example, you cannot get above 2/5 in the essay if you don't answer all parts of the question properly. Also you get an english grade for the essay which most people achieve an A in. It is CRUCIAL you achieve an A in english. This is because 2 examiners mark you essay and can only give A, C, E (the grade is averaged out between the 2 examiners), so if you were to achieve a C for english....thats 2 WHOLE points lost from your BMAT score, however if for example you drop a mark in the science section, you only lose 0.2 or 0.3 marks.
    2) For section 1 its all about practice I'm afraid just like the UKCAT. Its so important to focus on past paper questions rather than these BMAT courses which in my opinion are a waste of money as there are past papers online that go back to 2003!
    3) For section 2 make sure you have all the knowledge of the assumed subject knowledge guide on the BMAT website. It is 400 pages long, however if you read 100 pages a day it won't be too bad. I reckon 100 pages will take 45-60 mins as you would already understand 90% of content. Btw past papers for this section vary in the specification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    It will be high enough for certain UKCAT unis proving certain conditions are met Where are you applying?
    Okay i have sat the BMAT last year.
    1) For the essay, make sure you read plenty of examples to farmilarise yourself with the structure. 700 BMAT book is excellent for essays as it gives you valuable advice. For example, you cannot get above 2/5 in the essay if you don't answer all parts of the question properly. Also you get an english grade for the essay which most people achieve an A in. It is CRUCIAL you achieve an A in english. This is because 2 examiners mark you essay and can only give A, C, E (the grade is averaged out between the 2 examiners), so if you were to achieve a C for english....thats 2 WHOLE points lost from your BMAT score, however if for example you drop a mark in the science section, you only lose 0.2 or 0.3 marks.
    2) For section 1 its all about practice I'm afraid just like the UKCAT. Its so important to focus on past paper questions rather than these BMAT courses which in my opinion are a waste of money as there are past papers online that go back to 2003!
    3) For section 2 make sure you have all the knowledge of the assumed subject knowledge guide on the BMAT website. It is 400 pages long, however if you read 100 pages a day it won't be too bad. I reckon 100 pages will take 45-60 mins as you would already understand 90% of content. Btw past papers for this section vary in the specification
    Thankyou so much! That's really helpful! and I'm applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Lancaster, I know Manchester is a risky option but it's my favourite so I'm definately applying there I have predicted A*A*A, good references, AAAA at AS and I'm happy with my personal statement so I'm hoping these will make up a little for my ukcat

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much! That's really helpful! and I'm applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Lancaster, I know Manchester is a risky option but it's my favourite so I'm definately applying there)
    No problem! And I'm applying to leeds and lancaster too! I had an interview from leeds last year but got rejected haha.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much! That's really helpful! and I'm applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Lancaster, I know Manchester is a risky option but it's my favourite so I'm definately applying there I have predicted A*A*A, good references, AAAA at AS and I'm happy with my personal statement so I'm hoping these will make up a little for my ukcat
    Wow those are really good grades. But one thing you should note is that if a university operates a UKCAT cut off, You MUST meet it to be considered. I do also think manchester and liverpool are slightly risk tbh

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.