Which 2016 movies are worth watching?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizzieTwoShoes)
    I'm a big Captain America fan but I found the new movie quite boring but I did love the action, that was fantastic.

Batman VS Superman was boring and the new Indepence Day movie didn't live up to the hype for me.

Central Intelligence was funny but the movie doesn't really make much sense.

Deadpool was fantastic, laughed my ass off through out the whole movie.

Purge: Election Year was quite good if your a fan of the previous movies in the series.

Alice through the looking Glass was an awesome movie also.

Cant think of any others I've seen. I'm gonna see Jason Bourne today and Suicide Squad next week, so will see how they go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bourne is ok, but they seem to have lost their way a bit. Considering Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon came back, the film isn't like the first 3. In fact, the Jeremy Renner one is much more Bourne than the latest one. Especially the ending.

All these superhero films, I feel that they've lost sight of what they're trying to do and are in danger of burning the genre out - DC with their multiple co-existing franchises and Marvel with trying to tie everything in.

With DC- they've sold the franchises over and over, but I think a lot of people are happy with the TV actors (like the Flash and Green Arrow), and aren't that keen on the movie versions.

With Marvel, for me the absolute stand-out stuff is on Netflix and not really connected to the big screen stuff, although Captain America is ok. X-men seems to have just got boring.

Independence Day was just spoiled by trying to essentially re-make the old film without remaking it. There were so many nods and echoes of the old film it was ridiculous.

Ghostbusters - I don't even know what to do. I feel that they shouldn't have remade it - I don't see why they couldn't have used the same cast and made a Ghostbusters 3, rather than a reboot. I don't want to criticize it without having seen it, but I don't want to see it and reward the studio for making it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandsomeStud)
    was the story good? book was my favourite in kindergarten lol

ameliajayne2015 is it as good as nemo
    I love the story itself but wasn't a big fan of the film adaptation. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Got to agree 100% with all of this. I came out the cinema after watching Indepence Day wishing I hadn't just wasted my money on a film that is no where near in the same league as the first.

I think they are really struggling to make anything decent these days other than the animated movies which look alright. Apart from Jason Bourne and Suicide Squad, the only other movie I'm looking forward to seeing is The Mechanic.

Im on the fence with Ghost Busters, I've not seen it yet but I'm tempted to see it just for the comedy aspect. When I first seen the trailer I actually thought it was a Saturday Night Live TV Spoof.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    With DC- they've sold the franchises over and over, but I think a lot of people are happy with the TV actors (like the Flash and Green Arrow), and aren't that keen on the movie versions.

With Marvel, for me the absolute stand-out stuff is on Netflix and not really connected to the big screen stuff, although Captain America is ok. X-men seems to have just got boring.
    I agree with this, found Daredevil and Jessica Jones much more interesting, because often with superhero films they cram so much into it and include far too many characters. My understanding is that they're contractually obliged to appear in MCU films though but I like that they're in their own one instead.
    Captain America: Civil War is the only one I've seen and I preferred the Winter Soldier out of the three. This one just (again) had far too many characters and far too much going on than it needed to. There were however bits that I enjoyed and it still had sharp dialogue, Tom Holland was great as Spider-man!

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned 'The Witch' yet, an absolutely amazing film! For me, the best movie of 2016 so far. None of this overwrought superhero crap or annoying jump scare horror, quite psychological and creepy without being cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    I agree with this, found Daredevil and Jessica Jones much more interesting, because often with superhero films they cram so much into it and include far too many characters. My understanding is that they're contractually obliged to appear in MCU films though but I like that they're in their own one instead.
    I think Daredevil is fine. The second series with The Punisher is excellent. Jessica Jones dragged on a bit - I think it could have been half the length and got to the point much quicker. Half the time she didn't seem to be doing anything.

ReputationRep:
    If you want kiddie stuff, watch Zootopia. Beautifully made and presented with an entertaining story and a good message, however it can come across as a bit preachy sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Deadpool, Jungle Book, Finding Dory and the BFG were all brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    I think Daredevil is fine. The second series with The Punisher is excellent. Jessica Jones dragged on a bit - I think it could have been half the length and got to the point much quicker. Half the time she didn't seem to be doing anything.
    Overall I found them both more interesting, but I agree they could easily have been cut down to a maximum of 10 episodes.

ReputationRep:
    Now You See Me 2 is definitely worth a watch! Zootropolis was pretty awesome too.

ReputationRep:
    finding dory.

ReputationRep:
    Zootopia is amazing, and not just a film for kids, like any Disney movie.

Captain America: Civil War is definitely worth seeing. It's one of the best Marvel movies, and DC movies are generally bad. Comic book movies are only worth it if it's Marvel Studios.

The Jungle Book was a beautiful film, and greatly improved on the cartoon version.

Kubo and the Two Strings.

The Fundamentals of Caring (on Netflix) was quite good too.

Deepwater Horizon might be good to check out.

ReputationRep:
    My big favourite film I've been to see this year was Nerve. It's this awesome thriller and I really enjoyed it with the entire premise of it being all online and all the special effects and graphics were absolutely stunning, plus the acting was really good and the characters were flawed. It may not be your cup of tea but it was my absolute top film this year!

ReputationRep:
    These are the movies I watched this year and think are great:

1. Captain America - Civil War
    2. Deadpool
    3. X-Men - Apocalypse
    4. Secret Life Of Pets (Animation)
    5. Zootopia (Animation)
    6. The Jungle Book
    7. Finding Dory (Animation) - This movie currently isnt on HD on any movie website but if you go on 123Movies it will be there just play it and if its not in HD scroll down below and they will be different servers. - I watched it on the OpenLoad server on 720p as it was the best one.
    8. Now You See Me 2

Also I know this movie didnt come out this year but you have to watch STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON!!! This movie is sooooooo good. Its incredible. PLEASE WATCH!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandsomeStud)
    People say Captain America and x men were good but Im sick of comic book movies, however are they worth seeing?

what about kiddie stuff like bfg
    Im hoping that the street cat called bob movie will be worth watching when it comes out in cinemas next month

ReputationRep:
    You should all watch The Martian. Its a incredibly move starring Matt Damon even though its a 2015 movie I think. Its very interesting and is worth watching. If you would like to watch it I recommend going to 123Movies which is one of the best websites even better than Putlocker which used to be amazing back about 5 months ago.

ReputationRep:
    Me before you

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.