Maths or History watch

• View Poll Results: Maths or History?
    Maths
    61.54%
    History
    38.46%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History_Boys)
    History, as it's just a matter of learning - with maths if oyu don't understand something you can be there all day trying to work it ou...
    At GCSE maybe, but not at AS/A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    At GCSE maybe, but not at AS/A-level.
    At AS/A-level there is way more evaluating and analysing compared to GCSE where there was only a little bit on the sources paper which wasn't anything difficult. At A-level your ability to use the facts you have learnt to evaluate and analyse is called upon as well which you never had to really do at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician. Funny?)
    At AS/A-level there is way more evaluating and analysing compared to GCSE where there was only a little bit on the sources paper which wasn't anything difficult. At A-level your ability to use the facts you have learnt to evaluate and analyse is called upon as well which you never had to really do at GCSE.
    Completely agree. A-Level History and GCSE are completely different. A-level is all analysis/evaluation/argument whereas GCSE was narration. Pure narration in an A-level history essay will not get you very good marks. If you want to learn about argument construction and deconstruction, take history a-level, which i think is the best a-level to take in order to perfect such skills.

ReputationRep:
    Maths A-level does open a lot of options though. An A-level in Maths is one of the most prized a-levels there are.

ReputationRep:
    True, i think the OP should do both

ReputationRep:
    I expected maths to be solid this year but it turned out to be my best subject. I mean if you did higher tier you mite not find too much of the first module too difficult. I mean i came out thinking id failed because there was this graph rearrangement or something liek that on the paper and i cudnt do it and it was worth 6 marks... i ended up with an A and 100/100 ums.... miracle much?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether you're thinking as far ahead as possible careers, but bear in mind that many institutions in the City are going to want A-level maths. Lots of places don't really care what degree you do (as long as it's an academic subject, at a relatively good uni, and you get a 2:1 or better), but if you do want to go into the financial sector, maths is probably more beneficial at A-level. [Feel free to ignore the above if you aren't interested in that particular sector]

Of course, if you decide that you like history more than maths, then take it: it's would be better to get a high grade in history than a low grade in maths (and at A-level, you'll do well in what you enjoy the most).

ReputationRep:
    Ive just finished doin AS history and i am definately carrying it on. Its so interesting. Most is essay based, it links well with subjects such as law. Didnt enjoy maths at GCSE therefore didnt do it at AS, if u enjoyed doin it and u r good at it then why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History_Boys)
    History, as it's just a matter of learning - with maths if oyu don't understand something you can be there all day trying to work it ou...
    History's not just a matter of learning... Of course, knowing the facts is important but you also need to be able to interpret, analyse and arrange the facts in response to an essay question. 'Tis not merely regurgitation.

ReputationRep:
    Both subjects are very respected, so either would be a good choice. History is excellent if you want to do an essay-based subject at uni, maths is great if you want to do science or economics.

Personally I'd do maths, but then again History was never one of my stronger subjects in KS3, despite finding it quite interesting. And as many have said, the specification varies loads. Some schools just do WW2 all through the school, at my school it's about Russia and France (Absolutist states in Europe, 1640-1725) and James I at AS. If you look at the AQA specification page (I'm sure the same would apply to other boards too), there are probably over 20 different options you could do.

As for maths, there is, again, some choice, but not as much as with History. There are the compulsary core options as well as Statistics, Mechanics, Decision, Numerical Methods (less commonly)...there is a total, for the MEI course (what my school does) of 21 different modules for maths. And you might have a preference to Stats rather than mechanics, say.

But unless you're planning on applying for Maths/Science/History/English/Economics, then either would be good. Do both even, instead of one of your others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-girl)
    And as many have said, the specification varies loads. Some schools just do WW2 all through the school, at my school it's about Russia and France (Absolutist states in Europe, 1640-1725) and James I at AS. If you look at the AQA specification page (I'm sure the same would apply to other boards too), there are probably over 20 different options you could do.
    But the school will choose which papers to study for and hence there won't be any choice.

ReputationRep:
    I know, basically what I was trying to say was that you might not like the sound of what's on the specification your school chooses, and as there is so much variety it could be on almost any aspect of History, so you would really need to see exactly what your school would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlaystationStudies)
    What other subjects are you taking, Mike?
    Music, Biology and Drama.

ReputationRep:
    I did both maths and history last year and maths is better by far. History is a lot more work, whereas maths is easy. If you managed GCSE then maths is a definite if yopu want an enjoyable, easy as level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    Which would you choose? I'm REALLY torn between the two! (Both boards EDEXCEL)
    History :cool: :five:

And if given the right modules...give me a PM and I can give you a hand with anything you don't understand

ReputationRep:
    Having done both up to A2 I'd certainly choose History, but then thats my preference. It's probably slightly more work, but its more varied and interesting, and significantly less frustrating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician. Funny?)
    I know that History is less work than Maths

hmm I'd disagree with that. I had loads more work for history than maths.. but then the history department at my college was known for being quite pushy! Both are great subjects and very respected by unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musical_moose)
    hmm I'd disagree with that. I had loads more work for history than maths.. but then the history department at my college was known for being quite pushy! Both are great subjects and very respected by unis.
    I can't believe I said that, I meant that Maths was less work than history. Sorry about that everyone, my mind must have been distracted by something,

ReputationRep:
    HISTORY!! Of course, I'm very biased because I took history A-level and (mostly) really enjoyed it, whereas I gladly dropped maths after GCSE. As long as the topics you'll be studying appeal to you, it's a really interesting subject. Difficult and a lot of work, but enjoyable. It's much more about analysis and evaluation than narration at A-level, which is tricky to get to grips with, but obviously you still need to know the content well. Both subjects are very well respected, so it doesn't matter which one you choose from that angle. Go with the one you think you'll enjoy more and get a better grade in.

ReputationRep:
    History is crap. If you take it make sure you enjoy writing for hours on end with your hand aching writing an essay. Ugh. Every single person that did maths and history in my year thought Hsitory was the biggest waste of time ever and very frustrating. Jsut do Maths it's much more fun.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.