Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    People are aware of differences between high and low ranked universities. Because the quality of work you are expected to produce differs greatly.

I don't go to exactly an amazing uni, but it is a Russell Group (Cardiff) and the work demands are a lot more than say Cardiff Met, or Glamorgan Uni. And employers do know the difference.

They don't care about small differences between unis, so the rankings don't make any difference in that regard, but say the difference between a bottom ranked uni and a middle ground uni, and again a middle ground uni and a top uni, they do note the difference.
    No, any differences come from employers' own perceptions and biases, not objective, quantifiable facts. That's why a graduate scheme requiring a 2:1 will consider applicants from Cambridge, Open University and Manchester Met equally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    Or... to rank universities. And I'll never understand why people use "but employers don't care!!" as a rebutal. So?? If I'm paying 9k a year then i want to go to the best place i can. The employer not minding doesn't mean i have to settle for worse. He/she also won't mind if I go to a high ranked uni.
    If that were true there would only need to be a single, objective ranking. Which there isn't.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to go to 'the best' uni. But how people define 'the best' differs, and what's 'the best' for me is unlikely to be 'the best' for you. Do you want city/rural, collegiate/campus, small/large, what facilities/modules/accommodation/links to industry are important for you? Do you want to be near home? Do you see where we're coming from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    No, any differences come from employers' own perceptions and biases, not objective, quantifiable facts. That's why a graduate scheme requiring a 2:1 will consider applicants from Cambridge, Open University and Manchester Met equally.

I've spoken to many employers who say that they appreciate the hard work and dedication required to complete a degree from a good uni.

The fact that you said that an employer wouldn't give any consideration to the fact that a candidate has a Cambridge degree versus an Open University degree simply shows how little you know. But hey, keep on comforting yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Being a RG uni doesn't mean it'll be better in every subject against every single non-RG uni. This should be common sense, I'd expect this RG vs non-RG nonsense by a clueless 17 year old. (It's the only thing they have to raise their low self esteem)

Do some research into which uni's are best (the ones you can get into) for the course you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    I don't think uni rank matters tbh unless you're doing a specific subject (law eg). People just like to go to higher ranked unis just bc they're ranked higher. Teaching standards should be the same .
    Lol nope, vehemently disagree

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.