Turn on thread page Beta

Best Team not to win the World Cup? watch

• View Poll Results: Which was the best team not to win the world cup?
    Hungary 1954
    18.18%
    Portugal 1966
    0%
    Germany 1970
    0%
    Netherlands 1974
    6.06%
    Brazil 1978
    3.03%
    Netherlands 1978
    24.24%
    Brazil 1982
    12.12%
    France 1982
    3.03%
    England 1982
    0%
    England 1986
    6.06%
    France 1986
    0%
    Italy 1990
    0%
    Netherlands 1994
    0%
    Netherlands 1998
    3.03%
    England 2002
    9.09%
    Someone else
    15.15%

ReputationRep:
    What about the Italy squad from USA '94 which featured Roberto Baggio?

This selection is a rather flawed one and I echo the sentiments of the user who said that it would appear that most people are simply voting for a team they have no clue about.

ReputationRep:
    Holland '78 without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so it's hard to distinguish between Hungary's 50s team and Holland's 70s team, but how can anyone pick 1978 Holland over 1974 Holland? The 1974 competition came one year too late for what was in 1973 probably the best national team ever. Even in 1974 they only lost the final due to arrogance. But the 1978 team, despite only losing Cruyff and still having Rep, Neeskens, Krol et al, played a much less fluid style of football. The 1974 WC team came off the back of a period of Dutch dominance in Europe they'll probably never see again, and even though the Ajax team had started to crumble, the chemistry Michels formed between them and the Feyenoord players in 74 was incredible. The 1978 team had little of this magic, and were nowhere near the 74 team in terms of..... well, anything really.

(I don't want to sound arrogant but I don't want to appear like I've just googled some facts to make me sound clever either - there's something about Dutch football for me, and I tend to have quite an indepth knowledge of it - I've read more books on it* than I care to remember. Not that that means I can't be wrong of course, but come on, the 1978 team over the 1974 one? Do me a favour)

*best one is Brilliant Orange by David Winner. If that doesn't make you fall in love with Dutch football then I don't know what will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    ^^I don't think most people here have a clue what they're voting for, considering most of them weren't even born when some of these teams were around.
    You can go by what you read and any archived footage on TV. Otherwise if we only knew of history since when we were born, we'd have a closet mind.

I'd go for England '90, Germany '06 or possibly Argentina '06. The Argentinians had an absolute wealth of talent and the other two just played heroically throughout.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.