Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone*)
    OK, I've been going through similar skin issues and have done a ton of research online. What most websites seemed to suggest was that there are specific skin nourishing foods; blueberries, green tea, salmon, kiwi fruit, mangoes, flaxseed oil, nuts, seeds, vitamin B complex, wheatgerm, manuka honey...meaning that you even if you have a healthy diet, a lack of these particular ingredients could cause the skin to suffer. Then again, other research insists the link between food and acne is a myth, and you might already be eating these foods. Just a thought! xxx
    Cheers, but I'm already eating 99% of those listed...and I read there was no connection too.....

ReputationRep:
    You've tried over the counter treatments and they've been unsuccessful, so next move would be to see the GP to get some prescription anti-biotics / facial applicants (which I see you're in the process of doing). It sounds very much like harsh acne, although it could quite possibly be something else, only the GP can really tell you. Applicants, and especially anti-biotics, usually take a little while to take effect. So all you can really do for now is make sure you eat healthily, drink lots of water and cleanse your face regularly (not excessively).

They'll probably start you off with a tropical facial applicant - can't remember what it's called, but it stinks a bit. Or perhaps an anti-biotic called oxytetracycline.

Edit: sorry, my connection screwed up; posted this a bit late :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    You've tried over the counter treatments and they've been unsuccessful, so next move would be to see the GP to get some prescription anti-biotics / facial applicants (which I see you're in the process of doing). It sounds very much like harsh acne, although it could quite possibly be something else, only the GP can really tell you. Applicants, and especially anti-biotics, usually take a little while to take effect. So all you can really do for now is make sure you eat healthily, drink lots of water and cleanse your face regularly (not excessively).

They'll probably start you off with a tropical facial applicant - can't remember what it's called, but it stinks a bit. Or perhaps an anti-biotic called oxytetracycline.
    I'm really hoping for some antibiotics as creams just causes dry skin......and the stronger the worse so :eek: I'm taking tablets called Clear Complexion now from holland and barrat- anyone know if they're any good??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loser88)
    I'm really hoping for some antibiotics as creams just causes dry skin......and the stronger the worse so :eek: I'm taking tablets called Clear Complexion now from holland and barrat- anyone know if they're any good??
    Just a note, anti-biotics take a while to take significant effect, generally at least 2 months, not to mention you have to be on it for a while, even if it looks like your acne has gone. Don't stop and start, that would just work against you.

ReputationRep:
    As the Mustard-man says, see the doc. After assessing you, they will probably prescribe you anti-biotics such as mino/doxycycline which will be around a three month course I think.

They might also prescribe you benzoyl-chloride for topical application which may sting and cause dryness, but it will help.

If neither of those work, it's onto roaccutane, a strong drug which will require a hospital derm. appointment and regular blood tests for liver function but this stuff is amazing! It cured me in 4 months.

Lets hope it stops by the anti-biotic stage. P.S. this is all from personal experience.

Good luck(Y)

ReputationRep:
    Just a note, anti-biotics take a while to take significant effect, generally at least 2 months, not to mention you have to be on it for a while, even if it looks like your acne has gone. Don't stop and start, that would just work against you.
    That's why I'm asking if anyone else has any other ideas, if I have to hold the doctor hostage I'll be leaving with pills!! When I've started I'll not be stopping!!

Thanks everyone- anymore ideas or names?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SahilC)
    As the Mustard-man says, see the doc. After assessing you, they will probably prescribe you anti-biotics such as mino/doxycycline which will be around a three month course I think.

They might also prescribe you benzoyl-chloride for topical application which may sting and cause dryness, but it will help.

If neither of those work, it's onto roaccutane, a strong drug which will require a hospital derm. appointment and regular blood tests for liver function but this stuff is amazing! It cured me in 4 months.

Lets hope it stops by the anti-biotic stage. P.S. this is all from personal experience.

Good luck(Y)
    Christ almighty!! That's hardcore- are you clear now? How long did it take from start to finish? I don't know that I can take much more of this....ARGH.....what causes it? and WHY WHHHHHHHHY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SahilC)

Good luck(Y)
    I think there are other options before resorting to roaccutane so easily (certainly there was for me). On my acne adventures I had been prescribed stiemycin, oxytetracycline, lymecycline, tetralysal, panoxyl, adapelene and finally roaccutane. Of course, some of those are very similar to each other, i.e. stronger versions or part of solution form, or some may have different names to the ones you gave.

I had the same experience as you; the antibiotics and applicants did very little. But accutane :coma: What a blessing. BTW, acne cannot be cured, only treated effectively

Edit: Okay, they weren't really options, the derm forced me to try them out before accutane Well, a few of these were in between appointments, i.e. just to keep me on something whilst waiting (you know, waiting time for derm appointments can be several months )

ReputationRep:
    the trick with skin is to be patient and gentle.

work with it not agaisnt it,ie dont beat it up with harsh alchohol based treatments. once you have the medications from the doctor be very sparing and patient with them no matter how temptiing it is. wash face gently and not too many times a day, each time moisturise well with oil free moisturiser. YOUHAVE to moisturise, othewise your skin will go red raw with topical treatments. drink 2 litres of water throughout the day, dont just binge it at once else youll just wee it all out :P

the doctor will help you out, if they dont, tell them you want to see a dermotologist, also make sure to say its affectingyour state of mind and dont let them dismiss it as 'a few spots.'

ReputationRep:
    I think there are other options before resorting to roaccutane so easily (certainly there was for me). On my acne adventures I had been prescribed stiemycin, oxytetracycline, lymecycline, tetralysal, panoxyl, adapelene and finally roaccutane. Of course, some of those are very similar to each other, i.e. stronger versions or part of solution form, or some may have different names to the ones you gave.

I had the same experience as you; the antibiotics and applicants did very little. But accutane :coma: What a blessing. BTW, acne cannot be cured, only treated effectively
    How long did that whole process take- this had been going on for years at verying degree of badness since about aed 11/12 and I'm now 19- went to docs before and they did as bone-machine said and dismissed as few spots- also laughed in my face

What causes acne and it to flare so violently so suddenly??

the trick with skin is to be patient and gentle.

work with it not agaisnt it,ie dont beat it up with harsh alchohol based treatments. once you have the medications from the doctor be very sparing and patient with them no matter how temptiing it is. wash face gently and not too many times a day, each time moisturise well with oil free moisturiser. YOUHAVE to moisturise, othewise your skin will go red raw with topical treatments. drink 2 litres of water throughout the day, dont just binge it at once else youll just wee it all out :P

the doctor will help you out, if they dont, tell them you want to see a dermotologist, also make sure to say its affectingyour state of mind and dont let them dismiss it as 'a few spots.'
    I think that's exactly what I've been doing...beating the *****e out of it.....What moisturiser would you recommend that's oil free for really dry skin after the stuff has been pout on but oily before hand? I think I'm dirnking about 4 pints at the mo- how much is that in litres?Also does it sitll count if you flavour it with freshly squeezed orange/lemon juice or a dribble of lime cordial/vimto as not keen on taste of water!! Though if it doens' work the same obv. will dirnk stright water!!

Will def be maing sure the doc knows HOW MUCH it's affecting me- i tend ot go shopping at ngiht (food) so people cna't see my skin....

ReputationRep:
    I've had some acne since I was twelve or so. It got really bad in seventh grade, but luckily enough, I've been able to stop caring about it since my ninth grade year, and it's gotten less and less ever since. The problem for me was dandruff. Something about dandruff and oil from my hair was getting onto my face and causing pimples. Now they have me on a prescription shampoo and a sulfur wash, and I don't really have that many problems at all. Dry skin is just a way of life when you're on acne medication. Ask your dermatologist for a good moisturizer, and learn to love it. It's not as bad as you think.

I need to say, however, that Accutane (I think they call it Roaccutane in Europe) can be dangerous. It works wonders for acne, but for me it had dangerous side effects. It made me very depressed, so much so that if I would have been older, it would have seriously affected my way of living to the point where I might have committed suicide. Of course, my sister is on it and she has no such side effects at all. It effects everyone differently. So the point is that you just have to watch yourself carefully when you're on it, and realize that if you're getting depressed, it might be the reason.

ReputationRep:
    im guessing with your move you've had a change of lifestyle, ie more stress, possibly different diet, different water. the major thing would probably be the london pollution and using the tube. im from london and my skin isnt great, it often gets better when im out of london. when youve had a day at work and your face is a bit shiny, then you pop onto the underground with the dust in the air being sucked from the tunnels and pollution and grime everywhere its no onder its hard for acne prone skin!.

it was very unprofessional of them to laugh at you, the moisturiser i use and recommend is neutrogena visibly clear oil free moisturiser..its in a orange package.

wash face gently, apply moisturiser gently, let it sink in then apply any topical treatments they give you. the more you wash and beat up your skin the more it will try and compensate by over producing oil etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    The effects of diet, drinking a lot of water and clearasil type products have, at best, little effect on acne. Of course you should have a healthy diet for general wellbeing anyway.

If acne is affecting you then you need to see a doctor - try different ones if you're unhappy with your current gp. I think Quinodern at 10% BP concentration might be a little strong to start out with, especially if you report dry skin anyway, but certainly Panoxyl 2.5% BP concentration (in conjunction with a moisturiser) might be something to try and they will probably prescribe it (or some other cream) in conjunction with a course of antibiotics. Ask regarding the best way to use it if you have dry skin.

If you are prescribed Panoxyl then Cleanse, Moisturise, Panoxyl in the morning and before going to bed is probably a good routine, though you might want to only apply Panoxyl in the evening at first.

Best of luck!

the docs will give you this gel stuff and it works ace dont forget to get a repet prescrition because it runs out fast

ReputationRep:
    Have you established your skin type?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    The effects of diet, drinking a lot of water and clearasil type products have, at best, little effect on acne. Of course you should have a healthy diet for general wellbeing anyway.

!
    perhapse..but i really would recommend trying to get through at least a litre and half of water a day through constant sips because it genuinly seems to make a difference for me... and its so cheap its worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bone-machine)
    perhapse..but i really would recommend trying to get through at least a litre and half of water a day through constant sips because it genuinly seems to make a difference for me... and its so cheap its worth a try.
    I'd recommend drinking lots of water too and do myself - whether it affects acne or not it's still an important part of a healthy lifestyle. My point really is that it's not an acne cure in itself and drinking lots of water won't necessarily have any effect on acne though it can't hurt!

ReputationRep:
    Erythromycin tablets prescribed by the doc, works! (Y)

ReputationRep:
    zinc supplements are good, i think they stop the skin from scarring if its bad acne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peppermint)
    Erythromycin tablets prescribed by the doc, works! (Y)
    Yeah, i got those and they worked wonders. Easily stops those "big, lump type things" lol
    I know you've tried a lot of over the counter stuff but FreeDerm works well, combination of the gel and facewash and you should be clear(er) in no time.
    Zinc is also supposed to work well for some people yeah

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.