Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: What is your academic score?
    20/27 points
    2.96%
    21/27 points
    2.96%
    22/27 points
    3.55%
    23/27 points
    4.73%
    24/27 points
    10.06%
    25/27 points
    11.24%
    26/27 points
    23.67%
    27/27 points
    40.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YounesB)
    Coool, yh I've just looked over a lot of the halls on the site and they all look good. Hopefully, if I get in I'll apply for a place in the Talybont complex but I'm assuming it may be quite competitive to get a room? If it is, is it first-come-first-serve?
    Its first come first served yes. It is pretty hard to get a room in taly gate or court (the two more expensive ones) but its not to hard to get south or north as they are cheaper and have many many more rooms. Just apply as early ad possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cghaem)
    Selling UKCAT books for cheap

- 600 UKCAT Practice Questions

Oliver Picard, Laetitia Tighlit, Sami Tighlit and David Phillips

- The ultimate UKCAT guide 1000 practice questions

David Salt and Rohan Agarwal

DM if you want more information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you please refrain from advertising on these threads, they are for applicants to discuss anything cardiff medicine (and i noticed you posted on every single other thread) - if im honest you will probably get more luck on ebay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How does cardiff shortlist graduates? In terms of specifically how much weighting do they give GCSEs, A levels, degree classification, GAMSAT.

Ps - I have checked the latest admission policy, website etc. It just states it in general terms. I am looking for specifics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VARRRDAQ)
    How does cardiff shortlist graduates? In terms of specifically how much weighting do they give GCSEs, A levels, degree classification, GAMSAT.

Ps - I have checked the latest admission policy, website etc. It just states it in general terms. I am looking for specifics
    For specifics email admissions or call them, it is dependant on your degree, where you got it from, its classification, your alevels and GCSE. You will get a quick up to date answer by emailing them.

If you gain any info please share it here as it may helps others x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, again. Does the Socrates Erasmus programme still run for medical students? If so, how common is it for students to actually study some of their SSC's abroad. (I take Spanish A-level and want to spend some time in Spain)

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxsbxxx)
    will cardiff be looking at AS grades this year for medicine??
    Cardiff do not use AS grades in their scoring system for choosing applicants for interview. Saying this Cardiff usually requires a minimum of a grade C in any dropped AS subject. So no is your answer, they will look to check they meet requirements but that is all.
    The issue with AS results is you need AAA predictions from them, so make sure you can get AAA predicted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxsbxxx)
    ahh thanks so much, so would it matter particularly if I got a B in chemistry AS but managed to get an A prediction? x
    Oh no it shouldnt matter at all, I would probably say to get AAA predictions you need at least BBB at AS, but cardiff will be consider you if you get AAA predictions as they meet minimum requirements.

ReputationRep:
    My gcse score is 23 but I have recieved my results today and got A* in chem A* in bio and A in maths. Also have an A grade in physics AS.

Last year I wasnt even considered for interview as I didnt meet the cutoff of 26.

What would my score be takin into account my A level grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap yaaah)
    My gcse score is 23 but I have recieved my results today and got A* in chem A* in bio and A in maths. Also have an A grade in physics AS.

Last year I wasnt even considered for interview as I didnt meet the cutoff of 26.

What would my score be takin into account my A level grades?
    You would have to email cardiff regarding this as its done on a sliding scale which they do not release.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    9A* 1A at GCSE
    ABBB at AS, sending 4th AS off for remark so will hopefully get AABB (v. disappointing)
    680 band 3 UKCAT (also v. disappointing)
    member of my schools CCF (army), prefect, had lots of leadership roles, gold dofe, ncs, sports + other extra curricular
    volunteer at a food bank and hospital, and have work experience in a care home
    do i have a chance of getting in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agahaga)
    9A* 1A at GCSE
    ABBB at AS, sending 4th AS off for remark so will hopefully get AABB (v. disappointing)
    member of my schools CCF (army), prefect, had lots of leadership roles, gold dofe, ncs, sports + other extra curricular
    You will get the full academic score or 1 off which was enough for an interview for the past few years. Cardiff may be a strong choice for you.

P.s. 680 UKCAT is fab do not rule out some UKCAT schools, if you want some more advice on this PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    You will get the full academic score or 1 off which was enough for an interview for the past few years. Cardiff may be a strong choice for you.

P.s. 680 UKCAT is fab do not rule out some UKCAT schools, if you want some more advice on this PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it's the band 3 that worries me :/

ReputationRep:
    9A* 1A at GCSE
    9 A*s is very high and Cardiff live high GCSEs! You should definitely try

ReputationRep:
    it's the band 3 that worries me :/
    Read up about cardiff and you will find out the only time the use the UKCAT is in a few cases post interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many offers are there usually?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AVB7899)
    How many offers are there usually?
    450 usually, this is the number admissions quote.
    Roughly 3500 applicants for 1000-1500 interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi,i have 7A* IN English language ,English literature,Maths,Biology, chemistry,latin,history,

and 4 A`S IN PHYSICS, GEOGRAPHY,DT AND French.

Do i have any chance at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saikayal)
    hi,i have 7A* IN English language ,English literature,Maths,Biology, chemistry,latin,history,

and 4 A`S IN PHYSICS, GEOGRAPHY,DT AND French.

Do i have any chance at all?
    You would score 25/27 points, in the previous 2 cycles 26/27 has been needed for an interview, but this could change. It is your choice whether you want to take the risk or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You would have to email cardiff regarding this as its done on a sliding scale which they do not release.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I emailed medical admissions team but so far theyve replied twice with the same generic email.
    "When we first receive your application, we will check that you meet our minimum requirements. These include B grades in GCSE English Language and Mathematics, and AA or AAB in GCSE Double- or Triple-Science. If you meet our minimum requirements, we will then calculate an academic score for you, based on your top 9 full course GCSEs, which must include English Language, Maths and the Sciences. There are some exceptions – please refer to Appendix A (a) of the Admissions Policy for full details.
    We will score your GCSEs as follows: A* = 3, A = 2, B = 1. Therefore, the top score it is possible to get is 27 (i.e. 9 x A*).Every year we will calculate a ‘cut-off’ score, based on the overall standard of applications in that admissions cycle. It is, of course, impossible to predict what this cut-off will be, however as a general guide we suggest that it does tend to be around 25-26. Applicants who have scored on or above the cut-off will progress to the next stage of the application process where we will look at your personal statement and referees report. If we are happy with this, we may invite you to interview. Offers are made based on your performance at interview.​Due to the qualification reform, we will no longer be considering AS levels.The typical A level offer for the A100 will be AAA including Biology and Chemistry."

They seem reluctant to say by how many points my score will increase taking into account my a level results.

Do you know any one or have met anyone whos academic score increased and by how much?

Do you think its worth applying with a gcse score of 23 and A Levels of A*-Biology, A*-Chemistry , A-Maths?

ReputationRep:
    You would score 25/27 points, in the previous 2 cycles 26/27 has been needed for an interview, but this could change. It is your choice whether you want to take the risk or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your help. Highly appreciated.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.