Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

"Future Trainee Solicitor at ..." on LinkedIn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJU1)
    Completely disagree with you wondering why a student has it at all?! Linkedin is an incredibly valuable tool for a student and for those who are doing internships and networking with people in the profession. I've used it frequently to find professionals who I have some kind of connection or something in common with which has been valuable in reaching out to them and furthering opportunities and it typically contains information that you can't find through another source.

While I can sympathise with the view that too many people use it improperly, I can't agree with the view that it's pointless nor that students shouldn't use it. If you use it correctly it can be one of the most valuable tools toward securing an internship or job in my view - how can that be pointless?!
    This is exactly why I find it irritating I'm afraid. LinkedIn is a valuable tool for recruiters (as demonstrated by JSP) but few others. I would not appreciate a student "reaching out" to me on LinkedIn. On that note, I refer you to this graphic:

*If a student were to contact me on LinkedIn, I would advise them to apply for a vac scheme along with everyone else. In the legal industry at least, LinkedIn is very unlikely to get you a training contract or an internship. (Different for qualified roles, I accept.) I can't comment on other industries.*
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    People sending connection requests with no "connection" or a very tenuous one is one of the common mistakes made. I don't mind it because it generally helps me, but if I was a lawyer and loads of students randomly sent a connection request I would be peeved.

But LinkedIn isn't just about making connections. You can follow news and groups which can often inform you about opportunities, and their job board is increasingly used by firms.

So I'd still recommend it. Just don't send loads of random connection requests and peeve off people (as seen with this thread!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmings)
    This is exactly why I find it irritating I'm afraid. LinkedIn is a valuable tool for recruiters (as demonstrated by JSP) but few others. I would not appreciate a student "reaching out" to me on LinkedIn. On that note, I refer you to this graphic:

*If a student were to contact me on LinkedIn, I would advise them to apply for a vac scheme along with everyone else. In the legal industry at least, LinkedIn is very unlikely to get you a training contract or an internship. (Different for qualified roles, I accept.) I can't comment on other industries.*
    I didn't necessarily mean contacting them via the site. I've used it before to find out more about a particular person having read their bio on their firm directory before then contacting them over email, not LinkedIn. Cold emailing people at city law firms, if you approach it the right way, I've found to always have positive responses and thus subsequently met them. It's an alternative method perhaps, but one that I found people responded very well to and LinkedIn can be a valuable tool to get more information to inform you.

Equally, using it as a tool to find out more about people - their background, past experience. uni, etc - again helps when you are inside a firm and networking. It allows you to find out more and pin point particular people that would be good to talk to given your own personal circumstances or interests. You can't always find out this information otherwise and so I think that is again something very useful, if you use it well.

Sure, but I wasn't saying at all that linkedIn will get you a training contract or internship. My point is that networking does help you get training contracts and internships, and that LinkedIn is a tool that can and should be utilised to help with this, making it something that is valuable to use in my view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    People sending connection requests with no "connection" or a very tenuous one is one of the common mistakes made. I don't mind it because it generally helps me, but if I was a lawyer and loads of students randomly sent a connection request I would be peeved.
    I wouldn't say it annoys me, or even that I have any reaction to it at all. I just reject the request and get on with my day. Then again if someone has, for example, been with me on a mini pupillage and sends a connection request, I am far more likely to accept it.*

Just like with most mediums there are a variety of ways to use LinkedIn as a student. Some a more effective than others. Some are more appropriate than others. But it's still a potentially useful resource and tool in its own way. **

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrLintonJones)
    Hey guys,

Let's be honest we all see students change their title on LinkedIn to "Future Trainee Solicitor at ..." and are a little bit jealous.

However, is this something that is a bad thing to do once you secure a TC? I assume these TC holders are not looking for other work, so is it just to highlight their achievements rather than to help network for other opportunities? Would their law firm look on this badly?

I am curious to see what are people's opinions on putting this up once you have a TC? Looking forward to do it yourself, or think they are being a bit showy/cringey?

What's the aim in doing it?
    They probably want to distinguish themselves from the great number of law grads struggling after university to find law-related work.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrLintonJones)
    Hey guys,

Let's be honest we all see students change their title on LinkedIn to "Future Trainee Solicitor at ..." and are a little bit jealous.

However, is this something that is a bad thing to do once you secure a TC? I assume these TC holders are not looking for other work, so is it just to highlight their achievements rather than to help network for other opportunities? Would their law firm look on this badly?

I am curious to see what are people's opinions on putting this up once you have a TC? Looking forward to do it yourself, or think they are being a bit showy/cringey?

What's the aim in doing it?
    I've done it in the past and it paid off as I was actually looking for further work. Some recruiters and firms actively seeks TC holders for paralegal work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Generally, I don't see an issue, but I also don't see the point. The only people I can see being attracted by it are the sort of cold calling recruiters who don't even look at your profile before trying to offer you a job as a Real Estate partner in Kuala Lumpur. Whilst it may be flattering at the time you'll just end up deleting them when you get close to NQ and they spam you with every NQ role on their books.

I can kind of see with future trainees, but surely Facebook's better for that?

Also, agree people put some crap on LinkedIn, no one on a professional network gives a toss about your hamster's birthday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I recommend students being on LinkedIn though - the amount of information that is shared on it that can help individuals spot either intern or grad opportunities, or help with things like developing their commercial awareness means I think people are missing a trick if they are not on it. *
    Something which I found useful about LinkedIn as a student was that the way it makes it plain to you where you have gaps in your CV, both from the profile template and from viewing other people's LinkedIn profiles.*

Of course it also nags you these days about whether you have published novels or catch butterflies in your spare time, but I think it's still helpful overall.*

ReputationRep:
    I find this kind of naffo tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmings)

I've been approached with an offer of legal interning on LinkedIn.*

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.