Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    No one has been Summer Pooled yet. Those who are successful in Engineering in the Summer Pool will generally have met the standard A Level offer but been set a harder offer by their college.
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

I was just wondering if you've ever had applicants who've missed their offers but have completed their exams without support for then undiagnosed learning disabilities (e.g. dyslexia, dysgraphia). I understand all narrow offer misses is a case by case situation, but would this be the sort of thing that could significantly influence the final decision?
    e.g. if I were later told I should have a scribe/extra time but completed exams without?

Thanks for the help
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Hi again,

I was just wondering if you've ever had applicants who've missed their offers but have completed their exams without support for then undiagnosed learning disabilities (e.g. dyslexia, dysgraphia). I understand all narrow offer misses is a case by case situation, but would this be the sort of thing that could significantly influence the final decision?
    e.g. if I were later told I should have a scribe/extra time but completed exams without?

Thanks for the help
    It would certainly be something we'd look at but, as with all extenuating circumstances, you are much better letting us know before we get the results than afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    It would certainly be something we'd look at but, as with all extenuating circumstances, you are much better letting us know before we get the results than afterwards.
    Yep, have done (as of last week when first received official assessment report), but for another college. Thanks very much.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for doing this!

I'm currently waiting to get my A2 results and looking to apply to for Chemical Engineering via NatSci at Cambridge next year depending on my grades. Hypothetically speaking, say I manage to meet the entry requirements and I manage to also get an offer, would there be a possibility that the offer would include something like STEP considering I'll be on my gap year?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, it's nice to be back!

As long as you send in the UMS as soon as you have it on the 19th then it would still be possible to get that information into the file. Warn your college about this so they can be prepared if that eventuality occurs.
    Great, I'll let my college know. Thank you for the advice. Hope you had/are having/will have a great summer break.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, have done (as of last week when first received official assessment report), but for another college. Thanks very much.
    Well done! It's much easier to make good decisions when one has as much information as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Hi, thanks for doing this!

I'm currently waiting to get my A2 results and looking to apply to for Chemical Engineering via NatSci at Cambridge next year depending on my grades. Hypothetically speaking, say I manage to meet the entry requirements and I manage to also get an offer, would there be a possibility that the offer would include something like STEP considering I'll be on my gap year?
    Hello and thanks for your question. Good luck with the results you are waiting on. It's very unlikely that you would be asked for STEP for Chem Eng via Nat Sci.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    How seriously do you/other admissions tutors take A level (or equivalent) predicted results? For example, if someone were to be predicted 3A*s (no UMS provided), how much faith would there be in this prediction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francais123)
    Hi there,
    How seriously do you/other admissions tutors take A level (or equivalent) predicted results? For example, if someone were to be predicted 3A*s (no UMS provided), how much faith would there be in this prediction?
    Hello and thank you for your question. I think it is fair to say that we treat predictions with caution. Predictions are very often wrong and rarely on the upside. We tend to rely more on things that have happpened (in order of occurrance GCSEs, AS, Assessments, interviews etc.) rather than things that might happen. it doesn;t mean that we won't look at them but we treat them with caution.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    How does taking a gap year affect one's chances of being accepted? I'm done with the danish equivalent of high school, and currently taking a gap year so that I can apply to foreign universities, such as Cambridge. I'm currently planning on keeping my self busy by taking subject courses equivalent to the first semester of undergrad physics at Copenhagen University, volunteer work for the Danish Youth Association of Science, and working as a physics/maths tutor and as a presenter at a planetarium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hjortlund)
    Hello!
    How does taking a gap year affect one's chances of being accepted? I'm done with the danish equivalent of high school, and currently taking a gap year so that I can apply to foreign universities, such as Cambridge. I'm currently planning on keeping my self busy by taking subject courses equivalent to the first semester of undergrad physics at Copenhagen University, volunteer work for the Danish Youth Association of Science, and working as a physics/maths tutor and as a presenter at a planetarium.
    My two cents: You'd do well to include the course you're applying for in your post so the CAT can give tailored advice. Maths gap years are generally frowned upon whilst for other subjects, they're either a non-issue or a good thing. Given your description of your planned activities, I'm fairly sure your gap year would work in your favor and make you a rather competitive applicant (assuming you've got good grades and an academic record).

(the above was written with the assumption that you're applying for NatSci)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hjortlund)
    Hello!
    Hello. Taking a Gap Year is not a problem and many students at Cambridge have done so. It's good that you will be doing some work related to the subject you wish to study. Some colleges are cautious about Maths students taking gap years but not all colleges gel this way & outside of Maths it is not a concern.

ReputationRep:
    One last question, (sorry if its been asked before), but if we meet our offers will ucas track definitely be updated on the morning of results day?

ReputationRep:
    One last question, (sorry if its been asked before), but if we meet our offers will ucas track definitely be updated on the morning of results day?
    It should be, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! This thread is so helpful as a year 12 hoping for Cambridge next year, so first off, thank you!

My first question is about extenuating circumstances: I got 10A*s at GCSE and was predicted 4As at AS, but my mother became incredibly ill over Easter and I spent a lot of time in and out of hospital, and eventually took on some roles and responsibilities of a young carer; I also suffered a family bereavement. She was still ill and in need of care over the exam period but was not critically ill in hospital, but I missed out on a lot of peak revision time due to this. I can possibly get my grades increased by 2 or 3% because it wasn't over the period of exams, but when applying to Cam, would it explain lesser grades because revision was disrupted? Or would it have had to have been at the time of examination? My school doesn't know much about ECs so I'm sorry if you've heard this question a hundred times!

Secondly: Personal Statements. How important is the personal statement in the admissions process? I know the point of it is to be personal, but how many books should you mention? I've found myself mentioning a lot, and I don't want to make it sound like I'm namedropping, but I'd be able to talk about them in an interview? With these books, if I gave a controversial opinion on one of the books would that be looked down on? For example, The Language Instinct is seen as a pillar of undergrad linguistics but I disagree with the depth of Pinker's explanations of relativity in accordance with other books/essays I've read. Would mentioning that place me at a disadvantage? I know people who have written essays chock full of economic theory and things, so would a personal statement showing they understand a lot of core concepts be looked on more highly than one that just shows an understanding of a couple of important ideas? Also, I made some controversial choices with my AS/A2 - English Lit, Lang, History and Class Civ - whereas people in my course usually have maths/science/languages, so should I 'explain' my AS choices in order to show an admissions tutor that I have truly thought about the subject and what it entails?

I'm so sorry for the length of this, I've just got a lot of questions! Thank you in advance, I'll lurk on this thread until the end of the month and perhaps ask another couple of questions
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by blue2337)
    Also, I made some controversial choices with my AS/A2 - English Lit, Lang, History and Class Civ - whereas people in my course usually have maths/science/languages, so should I 'explain' my AS choices in order to show an admissions tutor that I have truly thought about the subject and what it entails?
    It might help the AT if you mention which course you are considering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It might help the AT if you mention which course you are considering.
    It's Linguistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    but how many books should you mention?
    Zero. You don't need to mention any books. You can if you want to, but you don't need to. It'd be better to not include any rather than a superficial list that doesn't convey any information about you. If you're going to mention a book, reflect on it - have a sentence or two on what you thought/learnt/felt about the book, whether you agreed or disagreed with the main morals, etc... give it substance.

ReputationRep:
    Another question about the Summer pool(obviously cause I am prepping to swim in there with my weirdo application).
    How are files organised? Is it by colleges that pooled so naturally alot of colleges will look at Trinity etc or is it just names?
    There is no guarantee that your application will be looked at?
    Or will all be looked at and then put back if not picked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.